Help! Any Tips for launching a Discus Launch Glider

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Just spent the whole day with Captain Blocker at our local baseball park trying to learn how to fly my first DLG, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for launching/flying a Discus Launch Glider?
Here are some of my best launches.
-Pilot Blocker-
The Glider is a used BlackJack DLG.
IMG_20200817_095840262_HDR.jpg

JustPlaneChris

It looks like you're doing pretty well already! (y)

I found that one of the hardest things for me to do was to avoid the temptation of throwing the glider "up". You should spin and release it pointing at the horizon, and use a launch mode preset (if needed) to get it to transition to a nearly vertical climb on release. If you try to throw at an upward angle you risk a wingtip ground strike, and that's a Bad Thing. ;)

This video has some really good slow motion footage that shows foot placement and technique:

Here's a video of some of my early DLG flying, with some pretty wimpy throws. Wow, has that been almost 5 years ago???

As you can see, I don't follow my own advice of throwing level. :eek:

So basically, just keep practicing! You'll get better at launching, and then can start learning how to "read the air", which is a whole 'nuther thing to learn. :cool:

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to practice throwing the glider level, but now that I know what to work on I'll be able to break some of my bad habits early on.

JustPlaneChris

Glad to help! Once you develop the muscle memory, it's hard to un-do it. I was watching my video in slow motion, and a couple of times my wingtip was within inches of the ground. Yikes. I'd like to think I'm doing better now, but I'll have to get someone to video my launches to be sure. :unsure: