Anybody else scratch building tonight?

whackflyer

Master member

The Fopster

Master member
I tried using wood glue on some pices of my current build and i am finding that it isn't as strong of a bond as HG. Its the type of glue that i am using maybe, not Titebond. I think it might cure best under compression like for cabinet building when you clamp everything together. There probably isnt enough pressure for it to bond properly. Been using HG for the majority of the build now.
I find my wood glue bonds foam to foam well, but doesn't work so well if one or both surfaces still has the paper on it (using FT waterproof foamboard).

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Wingspan is 1.2 metres - it is deliberately very similar to the John Overstreet planes in size, because I'm using the battery and motor from my P47 to power it.
You didn't want to go smaller? Mine i am building is a 37 inch WS powered by a 3536 1200kv planned for 4s as a high performance machine. The smaller size will bring the fun factor way up. I built the Spit stock size and it would be the biggest plane i would put this motor into, any larger and it would be a laggy lack luster plane.

Did you design the canopy yourself or was it from the P-47 you built before?

FishHawk

Working on one called the Jupiter Duck. It's made from Depron. A float plane that I added landing gear to so that I could fly it off land as well. The original has a 25" wingspan and used 3mm Depron. I had the plans enlarged 200% at Kinko's and used 6mm. Visit my blog HERE for more tips for foam board RC modelers.

View attachment 164213 View attachment 164214

I just built a foam board version of this plane. The AP Kwak 650mm ~25.5" wing span. It would be awesome if those wheels could retract.

The Fopster

Master member
You didn't want to go smaller? Mine i am building is a 37 inch WS powered by a 3536 1200kv planned for 4s as a high performance machine. The smaller size will bring the fun factor way up. I built the Spit stock size and it would be the biggest plane i would put this motor into, any larger and it would be a laggy lack luster plane.

Did you design the canopy yourself or was it from the P-47 you built before?

I'm a newb, so slower and stable is a bonus for me - so quite OK with it being a bit bigger! I'm only flying off a 2830 1100kv, 3 cell and a 9x6, so quite tame compared to lots of stuff on here.
Canopy was done freehand with no plans when I had time to kill at the weekend. Luckily it sort of fits, though I put into off to one side - doh!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I'm a newb, so slower and stable is a bonus for me - so quite OK with it being a bit bigger! I'm only flying off a 2830 1100kv, 3 cell and a 9x6, so quite tame compared to lots of stuff on here.
Canopy was done freehand with no plans when I had time to kill at the weekend. Luckily it sort of fits, though I put into off to one side - doh!
Did you have plans for the Sea Fury somewhere or was that your creation? I will say even thought this is the first time i have seen yours it looks really scale in the details

Tr33s

So an update. Still teleworking, so I still only can build in the evening. All PVA with a 24 dry time between steps. I’m redesigning the nose for an electric motor, so will probably use a homemade standoff. Hoping the wind dies down so I can get out and fly my FT Spitfire again. My motor was fine after I stuck it in the mud. Darn receiver was bad. Need to maiden the Storch too.

Attachments

• 19B0336C-4353-488E-BC4C-764300C1CC3B.jpeg
    19B0336C-4353-488E-BC4C-764300C1CC3B.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 0

Tr33s

The FB wing for the Travel Air Mystery Ship with dimensions from the AMA plans. Still trying to work out a fuse design. I can’t invest the time to build the balsa version until I try the FB version. Thinking about just building a square(ish) fuse and calling it good while keeping all the control surfaces from the plans.

Attachments

• 46899FA7-727A-404B-824B-9AC2DDF9810F.jpeg
    46899FA7-727A-404B-824B-9AC2DDF9810F.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Figure9

Elite member
7382F270-1789-42E1-BE5D-D555851D7419.jpeg

I’m starting over with another modded Simple Stick. I’ll call it The Phoenix. I like the reduced size fuselage, about minus 25%. 1st one flew really nice for the short duration I kept it airborne. Of the models I’ve built that my club members buddy boxed for me, they commented on how well they flew, how easily they’d roll & loop & how they flew straight & level on the maiden launch needing almost no trimming. I’m quite proud of that. Except for my first Bloody Baron that rolled viscously & the buddy box guy said was suitable only for experts, needed an assistant to trim the roll out of it. Then I realized that I had left it on high rate but told him it was low rate. o_O:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: On low rate it was trimmed & stable but still a bit too much for me. Buddy box guy brought it down in one piece & I still have it to fly again.
Thereafter, I’ve been building slow flying motor glider styles & this one will be like that too. I‘ll build a long tapered wing & also a cardboard shipping box to transport the plane in the bed of my Ranger. Other than that, nothing fancy. I want to take my time building it & get it in the air on a calm early morning.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
View attachment 164354
I’m starting over with another modded Simple Stick. I’ll call it The Phoenix. I like the reduced size fuselage, about minus 25%. 1st one flew really nice for the short duration I kept it airborne. Of the models I’ve built that my club members buddy boxed for me, they commented on how well they flew, how easily they’d roll & loop & how they flew straight & level on the maiden launch needing almost no trimming. I’m quite proud of that. Except for my first Bloody Baron that rolled viscously & the buddy box guy said was suitable only for experts, needed an assistant to trim the roll out of it. Then I realized that I had left it on high rate but told him it was low rate. o_O:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: On low rate it was trimmed & stable but still a bit too much for me. Buddy box guy brought it down in one piece & I still have it to fly again.
Thereafter, I’ve been building slow flying motor glider styles & this one will be like that too. I‘ll build a long tapered wing & also a cardboard shipping box to transport the plane in the bed of my Ranger. Other than that, nothing fancy. I want to take my time building it & get it in the air on a calm early morning.
I like what you did with the wing cutout! That is something I have updated on the plans but I’m waiting to change a couple other things (mainly to help with tail alignment) before I update them.

Jackson T

Elite member
i have an FT guinea pig and a newer f22 in the hangar right now, as well as a balsa version of the FT Bloody Wonder... and a 10 foot monstrosity that i hope to tow with the guinea pig.... but the weather is crap so i guess i need to take on another lol
Is your 10 foot monstrosity a glider? That would be really cool to tow up with a guinea pig!