Anybody else scratch building tonight?

"Corpse"

Legendary member
That’s enough for today. Waiting for servos to arrive. View attachment 164513

View attachment 164514
The wing is eliptical 48” span. Narrowed fuselage & wing root arc into the upper airfoil surface profile for reduced drag. ‘B’ motor should provide plenty of power. Loops & rolls should be easy, inverted flight OK for those than can do it. :unsure: Tail structure is stronger than my destroyed Slow Ride modified Simple Soarer so the tapered wing tips might even let it snap roll. What’s most important is that I hope it will be an easy, straight & level flyer.
That's awesome! I think it might be a little underpowered, "scale" some might say, with a B-pack . I have a C-pack on my normal stick and It works pretty great. I think you'll need it with the bigger wing. I love it though! :love:

Figure9

Elite member
That's awesome! I think it might be a little underpowered, "scale" some might say, with a B-pack . I have a C-pack on my normal stick and It works pretty great. I think you'll need it with the bigger wing. I love it though! :love:

Thanks @Corpse
@BATTLEAXE advised that as well & I now have a ‘C’ motor on the shelf that will eventually find an engine mount to cling to.
Version 1 ‘Mini Stick’ flew great with the B motor, but the C power might have saved it in experienced hands as it did get blown right out of town by a gust estimated 10-20 mph, windsock straight out. Watching the forum’s flyers in action gives me the sense that most experienced flyers here would have saved it. The new wing could be a ‘more power required’ factor with this Version 2, ‘The Phoenix’ has a symmetrical airfoil. I do tend to lose it when an aircraft gets too fast for me & I tend to be a thumb fumbler with higher power, even when I pull the power back to cruise. (I know, that doesn’t make sense, but it happens.)
It’s all about inexperience, high & slow are in my wheelhouse right now & solo flights are the norm with the club field pretty much abandoned due to social distancing.
I don’t want to use it, but what would save my foam board is SAFE, a gyro stabilizer or something like that but I’d rather learn from my mistakes rather than flip the auto-pilot switch. I do believe I’ll eventually catch on like so many RC flyers have done for so many past years. Even with the short disastrous flights at this point in my progress, I’m getting better. As long as it’s only costing me foam & time building or repairing, I’m good. With a buddy box assist I flew quite well, with almost boring ease, until the eventual ‘MAYDAY’ would arise out of nowhere & the switch got flipped over to the real PIC.

Last edited:

Figure9

Elite member
Question, will somebody please advise me on servo weights. Is it OK to mix ‘em? Say, to use two 5g servos for the elevator & rudder, assuming you get proper travel, & use two 9G servos for the ailerons? I’ve got three 5G analog servos sitting around doing nothing & three 9G analog servos salvaged from ghosts of the past. Been holding my breath waiting for servos to arrive in FT order placed last week. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Question, will somebody please advise me on servo weights. Is it OK to mix ‘em? Say, to use two 5g servos for the elevator & rudder, assuming you get proper travel, & use two 9G servos for the ailerons? I’ve got three 5G analog servos sitting around doing nothing & three 9G analog servos salvaged from ghosts of the past. Been holding my breath waiting for servos to arrive in FT order placed last week. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Yes that's fine, as long as you have two of the same servos operating the ailerons you can use whatever you want.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

The last one i would use an undersized servo on would be the elevator. That one is the save you a$$ servo. You could get away with 5g servos on ailerons. You don't even need rudder, its not necessary. Go bank and yank 3 channel.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Yup - I do that all the time!

"Corpse"

Legendary member
The last one i would use an undersized servo on would be the elevator. That one is the save you a$$ servo. You could get away with 5g servos on ailerons. You don't even need rudder, its not necessary. Go bank and yank 3 channel.
I totally agree with that. You can fly with out rudder, or even ailerons sometimes! If you lose elevator your airplane turns into a bomb.:LOL:

Tr33s

Still working on the Galahad. Lower fuse almost done.

Attachments

• 1A4D3DFE-0CED-48A4-A199-72D1B421B1E1.jpeg
    1A4D3DFE-0CED-48A4-A199-72D1B421B1E1.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 051A9E5F-A067-4CF0-98F3-D4707DF25F1B.jpeg
    051A9E5F-A067-4CF0-98F3-D4707DF25F1B.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Started on a new combat plane, the last Bloody Baron was the first casualty of the most recent Tx/Rx issues, so we need a new one. The Stock Scout I recently built was a test bed for the diagnosis of said problems with the Tx issues and it went to the wayside as well. The cool part about this build is it will be a 3 channel AET so a lot more simple to crash and fix as a test bed/trainer plane for now. Here is the start of it...
20200406_210648.jpg

Its a symmetrical KFm wing just like on the Sport Scout, just smaller, 28" wingspan. The Scout is 36". This will be able to use a prop as small as 8" on 4s, so the same size as the Baron or Sidewinder. This is done now on to the fuse

Figure9

Elite member
I got The Phoenix done tonight. I want to have it ready for the nice weather that’s predicted for tomorrow & through the rest of the week.

I have more to do, but it’s all assembled. This being Version 2 of my ill fated Simple Stick 1st effort. I’ve had bad luck flying but very good luck building. The experienced flyers in my club that helped me by taking the transmitter when I got into trouble or needed help getting a model down on the runway in one piece say that my builds fly straight & level & I hope for the same from this one. Now I’m on my own due to social distancing but this time I’ll leave early in the morning on a clear day when there’s no wind & do my best to keep it out of the trees. :ROFLMAO:

Wildthing

Legendary member
I got The Phoenix done tonight. I want to have it ready for the nice weather that’s predicted for tomorrow & through the rest of the week.

I have more to do, but it’s all assembled. This being Version 2 of my ill fated Simple Stick 1st effort. I’ve had bad luck flying but very good luck building. The experienced flyers in my club that helped me by taking the transmitter when I got into trouble or needed help getting a model down on the runway in one piece say that my builds fly straight & level & I hope for the same from this one. Now I’m on my own due to social distancing but this time I’ll leave early in the morning on a clear day when there’s no wind & do my best to keep it out of the trees. :ROFLMAO:

That looks really good, well done.

Figure9

Elite member
The cool part about this build is it will be a 3 channel AET so a lot more simple to crash and fix as a test bed/trainer plane for now. Here is the start of it...
Its a symmetrical KFm wing just like on the Sport Scout, just smaller, 28" wingspan. This will be able to use a prop as small as 8" on 4s, so the same size as the Baron or Sidewinder. This is done now on to the fuse

Next BB I build I’ll try 3 channel. Seems that’s all I use right now anyway & multiple flyers have said it Y & Bs very well with the huge fin. I guess the same would be true for the Sidewinder.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Next BB I build I’ll try 3 channel. Seems that’s all I use right now anyway & multiple flyers have said it Y & Bs very well with the huge fin. I guess the same would be true for the Sidewinder.
The sidewinder v stab is even bigger, the fuse is a little longer too. The first sidewinder i had was a 4 channel with the rudder and i never used it, same with the last Bloody Baron.