Anybody else scratch building tonight?

mackaiver

Elite member
if a Mosquito get into a dive for a target, they found it get too high speed for accurate bombing. Youngman - Frill - Air - Brake idea was tried out. (looks crazy with that umbrella "thing" :LOL::ROFLMAO:) Gonna try think out if is possible find an easy function for it at my Hornet model. They didnt produce it though, since just lowering the undercarriage did brake as good as this stuff...... but fun looking? YES!!
View attachment 188689
lve love to build one let me know if there is any plans in the future

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Started building another vampire today, got the main structure and nose completed!
42D1167F-1223-466D-9964-B35911ADF331.jpeg

8DB0076D-6CC6-41DF-8B09-205370702881.jpeg

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Not exactly building, its more of a renovation/update. After the last flight (cough, cough) of my Tiny Cub back in December. I decided it was far too over powered with the CF2822 1200 kv motor. So having just taken the FRsky TFR6 receiver out, I though its time for an upgrade/downgrade of the power plant.
So yesterday I ripped the motor out. Originally I intended to just remove the power pod for access to the motor, but for some unknown reason the pod was jammed in there solid. So I ended up ripping the firewall and motor off the front in frustration.
This isn't a big problem, as I was looking to rebuild the front end anyway. In fact I am debating whether or not to use a powerpod arrangement on the upgrade. As its not going to be a swappable, I don't need a power pod as such (so no pod, less weight).
I am replacing the original power plant with an MT2204 2300kv motor, a 6x4 prop arangement and 20 amp ESC. The battery will probably be a 3s 700mAh that should eliminate my torque roll issue on take off and provide a much calmer flight.
To begin with its staying as a 3ch until I get it flying as I want it, then I may modify to a 4ch in the future.
All being well it should make a nice little park flier, if I can get it sorted.

Matagami Designs

Master member
Got a split thrust tube drawn up @Grifflyer does it look like its got any bit of hope? :unsure: I kind of have to squish them at the back to get a scale look but the cross sectional area will be the same for 90% FSA if I did it right. Am I correct in the way these are made is done is by having the thrust tube move from a circular cross section to two semi circular ones and back to round. Was tempted to design this for a 3d printer but that would be too easy... and heavier than I'd want even with only a single wall.

1610337864121.png

mackaiver

Elite member
Got a split thrust tube drawn up @Grifflyer does it look like its got any bit of hope? :unsure: I kind of have to squish them at the back to get a scale look but the cross sectional area will be the same for 90% FSA if I did it right. Am I correct in the way these are made is done is by having the thrust tube move from a circular cross section to two semi circular ones and back to round. Was tempted to design this for a 3d printer but that would be too easy... and heavier than I'd want even with only a single wall.

View attachment 188781
cant wait to see the first protoype! love to own one someday

Wildthing

Legendary member

View attachment 188781
Looks cool. I would say build yourself some kind of jig so you could test the thrust with and without the thrust tube.

Intashu

Elite member
Am I correct in the way these are made is done is by having the thrust tube move from a circular cross section to two semi circular ones and back to round.
I'm building his F22 right now that uses this split tube design, and yes off the back of the EDF is a single tube, the next piece is a double tube split, but it's connected in the middle where it's folded. that way there isn't any exposed paper edge to the direct thrust off the EDF. and thoes tubes seem to taper down as it goes back, then the last two back-most tubes stay roughly the same size going back, but squish to a oval instead of staying a circle to fit the F-22 design. I used cardstock so it can hold it's shape better and after holding it together with tape went back with some wood glue to permamantly seal their shape in. removed it and taped over the joints so they're not going to leak. It took a few tries and I needed to use the formers to hold the mess together while I got all the sizing right, but it looks like it will work great (I'm painting mine atm and havent actually FLOWN it yet.)

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic

View attachment 188781
Yes that looks perfect!! I might scale that down and build it with a 50mm edf once plans are out!

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Managed to get a bit more done on my Tiny Cub today, finally got the old powerpod out and built and fitted a new one. Fitted the original firewall and modified it to accept the MT2204 motor.
Ive taken a few photos which I have added below, the 6x4 prop looks more in keeping with the size of plane. Which is more than can be said for the wheels, I have since changed those to smaller 50mm diameter foam wheels.
If I get chance tomorrow, I will mount and reconnect the ESC and find a suitable receiver. The battery connection needs swapping for a XT30, I never use JST connectors on 3s batteries anymore.
Last jobs will be touching up paintwork reinforcing wing mounting dowel holes and check the CG.
Weather permitting its being flown at weekend.
20210111_130015.jpg
Sorry didn't realise how out of focus it was till I down loaded it, this was taken after I ripped the old CF2822 motor and 30amp ESC out.
20210111_160000.jpg 20210111_160014.jpg 20210111_130031.jpg 20210111_160054.jpg
Looks a lot tidier with the smaller motor ands prop, no picture with the smaller wheels but trust me they also make an improvement.

Flyingshark

Master member
Managed to get a bit more done on my Tiny Cub today, finally got the old powerpod out and built and fitted a new one. Fitted the original firewall and modified it to accept the MT2204 motor.
Ive taken a few photos which I have added below, the 6x4 prop looks more in keeping with the size of plane. Which is more than can be said for the wheels, I have since changed those to smaller 50mm diameter foam wheels.
If I get chance tomorrow, I will mount and reconnect the ESC and find a suitable receiver. The battery connection needs swapping for a XT30, I never use JST connectors on 3s batteries anymore.
Last jobs will be touching up paintwork reinforcing wing mounting dowel holes and check the CG.
View attachment 188848
Sorry didn't realise how out of focus it was till I down loaded it, this was taken after I ripped the old CF2822 motor and 30amp ESC out.
View attachment 188850 View attachment 188851 View attachment 188849 View attachment 188852
Looks a lot tidier with the smaller motor ands prop, no picture with the smaller wheels but trust me they also make an improvement.
Tiny Cub... So that's a mighty mini Simple Cub? Beautiful paint job, by the way.

XT-30/60's are my favorite connectors. So satisfying to plug in.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Tiny Cub... So that's a mighty mini Simple Cub? Beautiful paint job, by the way.

XT-30/60's are my favorite connectors. So satisfying to plug in.
Thanks for the compliment wrt to the paint job :).
It wasn't suppose to be a mighty mini it was nbuilt that way by accident. I downloaded the B size plan by mistake, instead of the A size then corrected the printer setting to fit each page. It ended up giving me a scaled down version of the Simple Cub, all I had to do was make some minor mods and hey presto a Tiny Cub.
At the time I had already bought a CF2822 for it and 30amp ESC so fitted them along with a 0945 prop. I had the sense to reduce the servos to 5g so they would fit in the fuz neater.
I also had ailerons and a steerable tail wheel but, realistically it was too heavy for a small plane. So I reverted to a 3 ch version with a tail skid and big bush plane wheels for grass take off's.
I got a couple of flights with this set up, but it was a nasty little beast till you got it up in the air and cruising around. Hence my decision to scale the motor down and try something a littel more sedate, hence the MT2204 like the ones I use in my Tiny trainer 4ch version.
I actually melted 2 leads running my Tiny trainer with a JST connector, in combination with a 1000 mAh 3s battery. After that anything above a 500 mAh 2s I stick with XT30's. All my 3s Lipos over a 1000 mAh have XT60's and I use XT90's on my 4s 5000 mAh batteries.

mdcerdan

Elite member
View attachment 188848
View attachment 188850 View attachment 188851 View attachment 188849 View attachment 188852

Nice little Cub! Beautiful and simple color scheme. I will steal it from you!
I like to fly 3 channels Cubs, simpler, lighter and fun. I am building a 4th Cub myself!

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Strangle that you should mention that. While working on the Tiny Cub today, I decided I should build another. However, the next one I am building will be scaled up by a min of 50% compared with the original Simple Cub.
I also plan to add some more detail to the next one, like a proper cowel and some flaps. All my control surfaces will have plastic hinges and I will neaten the edges off with an iron, rather than leave them flat.
Might even add some LED's in the wings ;)

mdcerdan

Elite member
Strangle that you should mention that. While working on the Tiny Cub today, I decided I should build another. However, the next one I am building will be scaled up by a min of 50% compared with the original Simple Cub.
I also plan to add some more detail to the next one, like a proper cowel and some flaps. All my control surfaces will have plastic hinges and I will neaten the edges off with an iron, rather than leave them flat.
Might even add some LED's in the wings ;)

Mine are 1.2m winspan. Nice size to use my big old 72mhz receivers (40g weight) and big enough to see it at 150m away. My wings are hot wired from styrofoam covered with color paper and laminating film.