• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Anybody else scratch building tonight?

IanT

I have almost finished the Tiny Cub.
The new XT30 connector has been soldered in place, ESC now all wired in and motor rotates the right way. Same with rudder and elevator both moving in the correct directions.
I did a quick CG check using the AR6210 receiver, which I was using for the testing and its almost spot on (y). It could benefit from maybe a little nose weight :unsure:.
Not quite happy with the ESC position and battery lead location, so they need some relocating. I also need to do some touch up painting before it gets flown particularly where I had to fit a fillet to fill a gap behind the firewall.

Other than that she is done and ready to go again, I gave the motor a quick blast it should be enough to get it airborne and cruising around (its the old F size motor 2300kv). Actually looking forward to see if she behaves better now with the smaller motor.
Forgot to mention I have ordered another 2 Radiomaster 6ch receivers from banggood, so one of the other two R86C spares that I previously bought will be going in the Cub.

Well, I decided to end my adventure with the Cubs after building a 4th Cub (the one missing in the picture is my father´s one) It is time to move on and enjoy flying them as much as I enjoyed builing them. The last one is the lighter so in the future I am planing to make it FPV with a DJI AVL58 kit I have lying around.

My next proyect is a Piper Pawnee :)
View attachment 189096 View attachment 189097
So many cubs, I could call you a Lion. :)

They make great tow planes for gliders, just build it from balsa and fit a nitro or gasser engine (y)
No way I could go back to glow. Here a gallon of glow fuel cost the same as a good 2200mA 3S Lipo battery. Also balsa wood and monokote is stupidly expensive so I am stuck with styrofoam, paper, scrap wood, white glue and cheap electronics. Also I am so cheap I never let more than 20 bucks worth of plane fly in the air.

IanT

I beg to differ there young man you can have both, whether the plane is airworthy I can't say and only Buddah himself would know how it handles.
Linking flaps to ailerons is straight forward right, but what happens when you start increasing the angle of incidence of your flaps ? You start to lose your ability to use the ailerons effectively right.
So by splitting your horizontal stabiliser and make it into an elevon, you could in theory impart additional turning via your elevons at the rear. This is theoretical by the way, so hen you have drag from the flaps which will impact the planes nose, the elevons at the rear would also inpart effects purely on the rear of the craft acting I suspect as a sort of roll/pitch of the rear end. This is assuming a V tail not the convensional rudder elevator arrangement.
So its possible and with mixing achievable, but would you want to try it :unsure: probably not as it would be a pain in the Donkey to balance the plane when both systems are activated.

I beg to differ there young man you can have both, whether the plane is airworthy I can't say and only Buddah himself would know how it handles.
Linking flaps to ailerons is straight forward right, but what happens when you start increasing the angle of incidence of your flaps ? You start to lose your ability to use the ailerons effectively right.
So by splitting your horizontal stabiliser and make it into an elevon, you could in theory impart additional turning via your elevons at the rear. This is theoretical by the way, so hen you have drag from the flaps which will impact the planes nose, the elevons at the rear would also inpart effects purely on the rear of the craft acting I suspect as a sort of roll/pitch of the rear end. This is assuming a V tail not the convensional rudder elevator arrangement.
So its possible and with mixing achievable, but would you want to try it :unsure: probably not as it would be a pain in the Donkey to balance the plane when both systems are activated.
If you have strictly elavons using them as flaps would just produce maximum down. It would slow you down but not in a good
Way.