Anybody else scratch building tonight?

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
1611016365296.png

Okay which of you guy's posed for this picture ? Don't even think about Monty your too old.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
That's why I chose to build the full size Scout for my son, everyone raves on about how easy it is to fly. So its going to be his trainer as soon as we can get back in to the club to fly.
I was hoping this February they would be lifting of the isolation restrictions, but it could be closer to easter now. So Im in no rush to finish the Scout now.

whackflyer

Master member
hey @SquirrelTail what was your experience with the ft explorer?
Mine flew ok but it was underpowered even on a C pack and had massive CG issues. It didn't last long for me. But that's my experience. I'm sure others would say it a great plane but if you're gonna go B/C pack I'd go simple scout all the way. The wing is flimsy too. It's pretty much a scaled up TT wing.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I am back on the Scout again today once I have woke up and had several coffee's. Hoping to have all the parts cut out today so I can progress onto assembly.
Unfortunately my plywood parts also need fabricating/ciutting out and I have no poster board till weekend. I can progress with preparing the edges ironing them and sorting the tail section hinges though.

mastermalpass

Elite member

The mini scout can be a very forgiving flyer. Having built two, I would say aim to build it light and fly maybe on 2S - the added weight and power of a 3S battery will make it fast and carry lots of momentum which will make crashes a bit more consequential.

It is a fun model - when I wrote off my first one, I wanted to build another one immediately, but figured it would be better that I explore other designs. Part of the reason why I jumped on the 2021 Mini Scout challenge and maybe the reason why @The Hangar chose the Mini Scout to be the model for the ultralight challenge. :)

When I maidened my first one, I put it in my Dad's hands, forgetting he hadn't flown a fixed wing in ages or done any sim practice. He flew it straight into the ground. The wing and prop snapped and the 'chin' of the fuselage was all bashed in. I glued the wing back on, using some acetate sheets to hold the foam either side of the crack, glued a section of lolly stick to the chin to straighten it out and put a new prop in. It flew like it had never been crashed! I did notice some flexing in later flights, but it was nothing to worry about.

Oh and both of mine have been made from my 6mm Depron, so that combined with all the patches shows it is very accepting of deviations from how FT's own ones were made.

Last edited: