Anybody else scratch building tonight?

Wildthing

Legendary member
Now I am confused how this Otter power pod is supposed to go, just been watching a video on you tube and the guy had the angle the same as on the Flight Test video.
View attachment 197636 View attachment 197637 View attachment 197638
ie looking down the motor is pointing to the left of the nose (assuming its a CCW prop in its normal configuration, reversed on the motor).
If it was a CW prop as opposed to a CCW, I could understand the logic the thrust angle would be to the left motor rotation is clock wise. But the Flite test video suggests its a std CCW prop so the thrust angle should be to the right ?
Anybody built one of these that can give me some insight ?
I would be straight back with a little down thrust

Now I am confused how this Otter power pod is supposed to go, just been watching a video on you tube and the guy had the angle the same as on the Flight Test video.
View attachment 197636 View attachment 197637 View attachment 197638
ie looking down the motor is pointing to the left of the nose (assuming its a CCW prop in its normal configuration, reversed on the motor).
If it was a CW prop as opposed to a CCW, I could understand the logic the thrust angle would be to the left motor rotation is clock wise. But the Flite test video suggests its a std CCW prop so the thrust angle should be to the right ?
Anybody built one of these that can give me some insight ?
Yeah I remember hearing that on planes with the prop on the tail, zero side and zero down/up thrust is needed. It may be something similar with a nearly mid-mounted prop. I would suspect it might want a little up or down direction with a very high-mounted prop.

As far as the high prop. With a prop in the nose like normal, we give it a little down thrust. With the prop way up there it naturally gives force toward pitch-down. So it may be that you don't need any vertical angle. (Of course others will know better.)

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I don't know about that particular one, but I've built a few high mounted pushers myself. I like to have them behind the CG and angled pretty far downward so that the center of force from the prop is directed just ahead of the CG. Seems like a motor that high and that straight would inherently cause the plane to nose down under power. Of course, this can be mitigated by programming in a bit of up elevator with the throttle if your transmitter can do that.

BoredGuy

The tiny trainer is almost ready for its maiden tomorrow! The clevises I am using will still slide up and down on the pushrods if I apply enough force. Am I using them wrong? Can I just put in a drop of CA on the pushrod and clevis to hold it in place? Any tips for maiden are welcome, and wish me luck!
Edit: I still have no idea how and where to mount the battery, I couldn’t find it in the build vid.
5609D366-0720-499D-9337-6DEAE635C1A8.jpeg

The tiny trainer is almost ready for its maiden tomorrow! The clevises I am using will still slide up and down on the pushrods if I apply enough force. Am I using them wrong? Can I just put in a drop of CA on the pushrod and clevis to hold it in place? Any tips for maiden are welcome, and wish me luck! View attachment 197714
It's very hard to see here but don't those clevises have screws in them pushing on the control rods? You could use a drop of adhesive if you need to, sure.

whackflyer

Master member
The tiny trainer is almost ready for its maiden tomorrow! The clevises I am using will still slide up and down on the pushrods if I apply enough force. Am I using them wrong? Can I just put in a drop of CA on the pushrod and clevis to hold it in place? Any tips for maiden are welcome, and wish me luck!
Edit: I still have no idea how and where to mount the battery, I couldn’t find it in the build vid.
View attachment 197714
CA will be fine. You'll most likely be able to break it free if you need to anyway. The battery mounts under the powerpod. If you're nose heavy you'll have to shove it back farther in the fuselage

Paracodespoder

Elite member
We'll find out in a few hours
Good luck, it looks like a fun, fast, throw in the back seat and go anywhere flier.
That reminds me that I never posted about my recently built strix nano goblin knockoff. I don’t like the look of the ft goblin, so I started fresh, and I tell ya, once I got the cg right it flies like a dream. Needs a rebuild though, it had a few accidents when I was still figuring out the cg 😎.