Anybody else scratch building tonight?

DutchRoll

Welcome to the forums @DutchRoll! I’m glad you’ve been having success with the EZ glider! Any pictures or videos? Don’t feel too bad about the SS kit! I’ve got bilateral HG burn scars on my arms now so I’m still bad at safety I guess 🙃 not sure if you saved the cut outs for the SS but if you did you could try again with some dollar foam. I went through 6 mini scouts and 2 tiny trainers really quickly in the beginning😝
With your B pack you could try the simple scout or the cub too! (I’m already hearing kitfox being shouted in the background 😉)
Anyways, keep at it and don’t hesitate to ask for help here on the forums!

I did save the cut outs, so I do have them as well as the downloaded plans. But I don't think I'll buy a laser cut pack again. I have essential tremor in my hands, and I found the build as laid out in the youtube video to be very difficult for me. The little angle gauge kept falling over as my hands shook, so the wing joints kept falling apart, and eventually after repeated reglueing, the wing just ended up warped.

So I think that when I tackle the Simple Soarer again, I'll cut it straight from foam board. That way I can make the gauges as a thick block, and make (or 3d print) some jigs to assemble the tail with.

DutchRoll

So, I've been lurking on the forums for a while and haven't posted much yet. However, I have been busy. Over the holidays, I taught myself to use SketchUp via YouTube, etc., and created my first plane. 100% designed and built by me...

Behold, my Robotech Alpha Fighter!

Still a work in progress...

Don't forget the Beta Fighter as well! And then you have to join them in flight!

My favorite from the Robotech series would be the little Logan fighter, but it's got itty-bitty wings, so I'm not sure it would fly very well.

Headbang

Master member
Made a Flite Test Long-EZ chuck glider two weeks ago (first foam plane in over 35 years for me) - flew it for about 15 tosses before it hit a post and ripped the left wing off of it. It's repaired but ugly (repaired wing has pronounced anhedral - still flies fine though) so I call it Fugly, short for Foam Ugly. My favorite plane from my youth was the UGLY STICK, so I think I'll call most of my planes some variant of ugly.

Last weekend I bought the Simple Soarer kit from a HobbyTown store, and tried to put it together, but after about half a dozen paper cuts and a couple of hot glue burns, all I ended up with was a warped wing (polyhedral failed). And when I tried to put the control rods on the elevator, I slipped and ripped the tail right off the boom. It all ended up in the trash. :(

So last night I printed out the plans for another Long-EZ, since that's my only successful Flite Test Foamy to date, but I scaled the print 132% so that I can fit the B-Pack power pod from the Simple Soarer into it.
Few notes on the longEZ. It can be a handful, but is also a blast to fly! Getting the thrust angle on the motor just right may take a bit of trial and error. On the 100% version the wing folds easy, adding a bbq skew under the wing through the fuse fixes this. The stock battery hatch is a real pain to get the skewer in every time, just about any other solution for latching the hatch would be better (maybe magnets on a scaled up version) Keep the throws small with lots of expo on low rates, this will help tame it down (ailerons esspecially to tame out the squirly roll rate). Also make sure you have a high rate with full throws, fast cork screwing is fun!

Good luck and have fun!

DutchRoll

Few notes on the longEZ. It can be a handful, but is also a blast to fly! Getting the thrust angle on the motor just right may take a bit of trial and error. On the 100% version the wing folds easy, adding a bbq skew under the wing through the fuse fixes this. The stock battery hatch is a real pain to get the skewer in every time, just about any other solution for latching the hatch would be better (maybe magnets on a scaled up version) Keep the throws small with lots of expo on low rates, this will help tame it down (ailerons esspecially to tame out the squirly roll rate). Also make sure you have a high rate with full throws, fast cork screwing is fun!

Good luck and have fun!

Yeah, I was doing some research on the flight characteristics. The title might say Long-EZ, but it's closer to a Velocity in design, in that the canard is inline with the wing. One of the characteristics of canard design that concern me is that at high angles of attack, the canard blanks the wing root, robbing it of lift. The canard blanking also in turn exacerbates issues with dutch rolls. I had wanted to move the elevators to the canards on the 132%, but I had been concerned that at full down, the elevator would act as a a spoiler to the wing, disrupting the air flow and causing it to stall. One of the solutions I read about is to add vortex generators to the mid line of the canard to help "glue" the air down, so that might be something I could try to help with the squirrliness.

Are you referring to the yaw angle or the pitch angle for the thrust angle of the motor? And I added three skewers to keep the wings and canards from breaking off.

100% version on top of the 132% version, with the B-pack firewall for scale.

scratchbuild.jpg long-ez.jpg

redbarton

Don't forget the Beta Fighter as well! And then you have to join them in flight!

My favorite from the Robotech series would be the little Logan fighter, but it's got itty-bitty wings, so I'm not sure it would fly very well.
I've thought about the Beta fighter. However, it's all sorts of wrong angles and very little lifting area. I think it would only fly through the miracles of Robotechnology. (Hmm? Maybe a VTOL setup?) Let me know if you find some spare protoculture. I need the brain boost like Dr. Lang. ;)

The Logan could be doable, possibly with a lifting body shape? I'll add it to the list. I need some more design and flight experience before I tackle that project though.

Last edited:

Headbang

Master member
Yeah, I was doing some research on the flight characteristics. The title might say Long-EZ, but it's closer to a Velocity in design, in that the canard is inline with the wing. One of the characteristics of canard design that concern me is that at high angles of attack, the canard blanks the wing root, robbing it of lift. The canard blanking also in turn exacerbates issues with dutch rolls. I had wanted to move the elevators to the canards on the 132%, but I had been concerned that at full down, the elevator would act as a a spoiler to the wing, disrupting the air flow and causing it to stall. One of the solutions I read about is to add vortex generators to the mid line of the canard to help "glue" the air down, so that might be something I could try to help with the squirrliness.

Are you referring to the yaw angle or the pitch angle for the thrust angle of the motor? And I added three skewers to keep the wings and canards from breaking off.

100% version on top of the 132% version, with the B-pack firewall for scale.

View attachment 154664 View attachment 154665
I was referring to the pitch angle. There is no perfect angle, you end up adjusting to suit your flying style.
I have built a few of these and never had an issue with Dutch Roll. I am pretty sure the winglets solve that.
The design works well. I know it has been tested to death, and a lot of people have played with the canards. Only thing that one can do with the canards is make them adjustable via a servo for fine tuning while in flight.

mayan

Legendary member
Made a Flite Test Long-EZ chuck glider two weeks ago (first foam plane in over 35 years for me) - flew it for about 15 tosses before it hit a post and ripped the left wing off of it. It's repaired but ugly (repaired wing has pronounced anhedral - still flies fine though) so I call it Fugly, short for Foam Ugly. My favorite plane from my youth was the UGLY STICK, so I think I'll call most of my planes some variant of ugly.

Last weekend I bought the Simple Soarer kit from a HobbyTown store, and tried to put it together, but after about half a dozen paper cuts and a couple of hot glue burns, all I ended up with was a warped wing (polyhedral failed). And when I tried to put the control rods on the elevator, I slipped and ripped the tail right off the boom. It all ended up in the trash. :(

So last night I printed out the plans for another Long-EZ, since that's my only successful Flite Test Foamy to date, but I scaled the print 132% so that I can fit the B-Pack power pod from the Simple Soarer into it.
Wellcome on board the flying ship buddy. Don't feel bad about the Simple Soarer I hadn't had much success building it either and I built a few planes before tackling that one. I would highly recommend the Tiny Trainer as a super fun plane to learn to fly with if you need to get back into flying. Otherwise if you are more expreinced you can try anything with a B or C pack motor. You can also check out this resource to check what build options you have for either the B pack or C pack motor. https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...l-the-ft-models-with-electronics-required.64/