Anybody else scratch building tonight?

tesseract

Master member
Didn't scratch build today, but about a week ago I made a mmScout.
(I would post pics, but I'm too lazy to get it from under my bed. I keep it there to keep it safe from my destructive brother.)
I made pretty clunky landing gear and I'll need to make new ones after my first flight because the ones I'm using is kinda like a test rig just to see if it'll fly cuz I don't want to have wasted materials and glue.

GliderFlyer

Elite member
I scratch built on wednesday. It wasn't an airplane though.
IMG_20210504_145359.jpg

A video for it is on my YouTube channel

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I've been building and tinkering all day with the F22. I started by mounting the motor into the plywood motor pod, then connected the ESC and checked the rotational direction. I then discovered I don't have a suitable 9" prop to fit the shaft on the Sunnysky, so have had to compromise with an 8x6 APC (which will do the trick, the Mk1 only had a 7x5).
Then I started on the servo installation, pushrods and installation of the control horns. I went for a thinner gauge wire than the Mk1, but used coffee stirrers/sipping straws as guides to add support. I also decided not to use the conventional plywood control horns, trouble is the push fit ones cause the foamboard to crush and weaken. So I had a brainwave, I cut some small plastic rectangles and put slots in them. I then glued them to each side of the foamboard directly over the slot for the control horns. Then when I push the retaining plate on there is no crushing of the foam and it provides extra rigidity.
So control surfaces are now fully operational and seem to be functioning a lot better than the ones I fitted to the Mk1.
Initially I set up a Radiomaster receiver on the F22, but I was having doubts after my mate mentioned some of them have now had support withdrawn and are no longer being sold.
So I took the Spektrum AR410 from my Tiny trainer Mk5 (which I recently finished) and put it into the F22. The Radiomaster receiver is now in the Tiny trainer. However, I didn't need to bother after all. It appears the problem with the Radiomaster receivers is a copywrite issue, not a functional issue :mad:, so that wasted 20 minutes of my life for nothing.
Next job tonight is gap and hole filling where I pegged the control surface hinges. Hopefully I can progress tomorrow onto painting and getting it finished, I am excited to see how it performs with the modifications and upgraded motor prop.

Tench745

Master member
Hey quick question: is there a way to combine pdfs into one pdf without paying for an adobe program? The free one wont let me. Id like to share my plans but its 10 pdfs right now. Im using inkscape if that matters.
I have used a program called "PDFsam Basic" It's free and can combine PDFs. It has other features too, but I haven't used any of them.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Got all the electronics soldered up and mostly installed, just need to plug the servos in and setup the flight controller.
a few bits of final gluing up/etc and it should be ready to fly. looks like I am going to miss the goal of 250g by ~10g. (LWPLA and some pod design changes on the motor pods + a few other optimizations would be able to make it.)

Will see how this flies/etc after this gets done and worry about getting it sub 250g if/when I need to worry about that.

1620435549057.png

bwarz

Master member
pics please - I'd love to see it as I've been thinking along similar lines. My next project will be a perfectly symmetrical airfoil for the simple stick. My other thought is that it might not even matter at this scale the the difference is mostly aesthetic.
As I look at it, it isn't quite as bad as I originally thought, although it does shorten the top skin as I said. I think the glued front might be more accurately repeatable, and I just used my thrift store iron to round down the rough front edge. I think that one could get the right profile, but the non-folded top-bottom is probably easier on a larger wing??? View attachment 199802
all that said, the top is glued (and subsequently ironed round) and the bottom is folded with tape. Not the length of the 'top' skin on the bottom section shorter by 5-6mm. The plans as designed are for a glues seam. One thing I just thought of that I don't like about the folded - where the taping stops and it has to transition into glued, I always end up with a goofy section where the top didn't fold. @Niez13 had a great suggestion of putting a piece of painters tape across the area so when you fold the wing it doesn't tear out. I tried it on one and it worked out pretty well. I'm always changing my mind, so tomorrow I'll probably like his way better lol