Anybody else scratch building tonight?

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Few update pics of the F22 Mk2
20210502_031839.jpg 20210508_182215.jpg 20210508_182238.jpg 20210508_182144.jpg 20210502_031830.jpg

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
This is the Mk1 version I built.
1620500917722_1620500887884_0_20210106_132009.jpg
Had it a few years now, its one of the first flite test planes I built. I have had a few happy flights out of it and was genuinely surprised on its maiden how well it flew (hence the Mk2) . I lost the signal once as it had a fake AR6210 Spektrum receiver in it (lucky I always set my fail safe on the ESC) it went beyond the range of that particular receiver. Luckily I got it back in one piece it glided into a field with long grass, just lost the canopy so built a new one. It gave my mate and my son some great amusement, watching me run after it.
Never liked the push rod system on this one though, so I've upgraded it on the Mk2. Plus its got real hinges, not the paper versions. The Mk2 has plastic control horns too as opposed to the standard FT plywood type.
The motor on this was a cheap generic 1400kv which came bundled with 7x5 prop and a 30amp ESC, it worked :LOL:.

Last edited:
View attachment 199837
Had it a few years now, its one of the first flite test planes I built. I have had a few happy flights out of it and was genuinely surprised on its maiden how well it flew (hence the Mk2) . I lost the signal once as it had a fake AR6210 Spektrum receiver in it (lucky I always set my fail safe on the ESC) it went beyond the range of that particular receiver. Luckily I got it back in one piece it glided into a field with long grass, just lost the canopy so built a new one. It gave my mate and my son some great amusement, watching me run after it.
Never liked the push rod system on this one though, so I've upgraded it on the Mk2. Plus its got real hinges, not the paper versions. The Mk2 has plastic control horns too as opposed to the standard FT plywood type.
The motor on this was a cheap generic 1400kv which came bundled with 7x5 prop and a 30amp ESC, it worked :LOL:.
Now you're talking. Tell me more so I can get a better idea about what my F-5 will do. You've got a single 1400 on that. I've got twin 1106s on mine with up to 3" props. What's your wingspan there? Mine is real small at 18". And you say it flew well. I'm hoping mine will fly ok on 2S but I can fit a 3S in it if needed.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Usually fly the Mk1 off a 3S 1500 mAh plenty of performance with the old 1400kv. Don't know what the spec of the old motor is (didn't come with a spec) but with the new Sunnysky setup I should be getting 890g of thrust with the 8x6 prop with a 3s, wingspan rough guess-timation is 640 - 650mm.
Same motor with a 9x6 prop should give me around 1230g of thrust with the same 3s. However, the Sunnysky x2216-7 will run off a 4s too, so with the original 8x6 I can get 1380g of thrust (that's my next upgrade ;):whistle:).

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Forgot to mention the Mk 1 had basic 9g nylon servos, this new version has 9g metal gear digital servos (still cheap ones, but better than the nylon 9g analogue versions)

Usually fly the Mk1 off a 3S 1500 mAh plenty of performance with the old 1400kv. Don't know what the spec of the old motor is (didn't come with a spec) but with the new Sunnysky setup I should be getting 890g of thrust with the 8x6 prop with a 3s, wingspan rough guess-timation is 640 - 650mm.
Same motor with a 9x6 prop should give me around 1230g of thrust with the same 3s. However, the Sunnysky x2216-7 will run off a 4s too, so with the original 8x6 I can get 1380g of thrust (that's my next upgrade ;):whistle:).
Sounds good to me, your MK1 is nearly 50% bigger than my F-5. I'll start with 2S and I have a feeling it might fly fine there for starters. Thanks.

Taildragger

Legendary member
View attachment 199837
wdym by a fake spektrum rx?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Tring out a kf-step wing on an FT MM F22. didn't put it on the lifting body part of it as it didn't make much sense (given were the CG marks are, clearly the body is figured in the lifting area).

1620514654083.png

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I actually got 2 of those receivers and they where cheap so that should have set off alarm bells to start with. Then they came in sealed plastic bags not genuine Spektrum packaging with seals etc.
Hey if you used them in park fliers they would be fine, but as they are supposed to be long range receivers with a satellite they are utter :poop:(n).
I have a 6ch Radiomaster receivers with an SBus connection that weigh less, and they give over 1km range so they never get used.
Two of the other tell tale signs they are fake are the screws they used on the case compared with Spektrum genuine and the colour and definition of the logo is different.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Well at 4am in the morning I finished the painting of the F22 with the exception of the belly pan (which I left at home). Tomorrow night its varnish time, install the motor and pod, connect and tape down the electrics then fit and paint the belly pan.
Hopefully I will be finished tomorrow night :)(y)

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I have already started varnishing the bottom of the plane which is now finished. So is the power pod area, so once its dry I can mount the motor and finish off installing the electrics etc.
Once all the cables etc are secured I can test everything works, then fit the belly pan and paint it.

All I have left to do then is varnish the top of the plane and the belly pan (once the paints dried). All done, another plane to add to the collection, ready for a maiden.

Tomorrow night I am planning to build a new nose section for the Mk1 and remove the old damaged nose. If I get time this week and the weather is kind I will try to get them both out for some test flights. Looking unlikely as the weather forecast is dire, rain all week :cry:.
On a plus note I am going plane shopping and hopefully fetching home some bargains :);)(y)

I have already started varnishing the bottom of the plane which is now finished. So is the power pod area, so once its dry I can mount the motor and finish off installing the electrics etc.
Once all the cables etc are secured I can test everything works, then fit the belly pan and paint it.

All I have left to do then is varnish the top of the plane and the belly pan (once the paints dried). All done, another plane to add to the collection, ready for a maiden.

Tomorrow night I am planning to build a new nose section for the Mk1 and remove the old damaged nose. If I get time this week and the weather is kind I will try to get them both out for some test flights. Looking unlikely as the weather forecast is dire, rain all week :cry:.
On a plus note I am going plane shopping and hopefully fetching home some bargains :);)(y)
We're gonna need a bigger boat.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I have finished it :giggle: the F22 Mk2 is ready for its maiden, I've no more full sheets of foam board now. All I have left now are a few decent size parts and scrap, for repairs etc.
I need a spare set of 3ch wings for one of the Tiny's as I am planning to teach my grandson to fly with it. I already have one side cut out from a previous error :giggle: (cut out x2 LHS wings, ages ago), I just have enough for a RHS. I also have a replacement nose marked out for the F22 Mk1, that needs cutting out and assembling. After that I need to start on the Edge 540 repair, got plenty of scrap pieces for that, besides I am planning to use 1/16" ply where possible for strength.
Other than that everything is air-worthy at the moment, nothing else to modify or repair ;)(y).
Picking up my Mustang, Hornet and Vulcan on Friday and deciding what to buy next :unsure:, probably 4s Lipo's would be a good idea as I haven't got anything 4s batteries to fly these planes only 4s 5000 HD's for my WOT trainer:LOL::LOL::LOL:.