Anybody else scratch building tonight?

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
It looks kind of weird now with the landing gear
image.jpg

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
I don't agree with you there, once you hand launch a small plane you've committed and good or bad flier it makes no difference once you let go.
With a take off you can sometimes get a feel for how its going to perform and have the chance to abort (y)
That's for MontyC.
I’m just bad at it, nothing wrong with the technique

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I always use to prefer hand launching because I struggled with take-offs and didn't have a runway to practice on just farmers fields. Since I joined this club I have had a lot of practice and now I love taking off from the runway, I only hand launch gliders and belly landers.
Small planes can be twitchy from my experience, particularly when you maiden them un-trimmed so I prefer not to hand launch if possible. My Tiny cub in particular is a real :poop: to get airborne, but once up there its fine flying around. Its much easier to take it off from the ground than hand launch, same with my full size cub too (but that can be a pain taking off from the ground as well :().

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I gave up trying to tidy up my plans, once I found the plans for the Edge I gave up identifying the rest I hadn't sorted. I have now copied the two sections I plan to replace on the plane, I just need to transfer them to plywood now and cut them out. Next question is which glue to use :unsure:. I can stabilise the minor damage of the horizontal section supporting the power pod with hot glue. But I want to place 1.5 mm section of plywood on top of the damaged sections which will covers from the front of the cowl to the battery straps in the wing bay. I might use a fast setting epoxy for that to give more strength.
The vertical former, I plan to use a thin ply on the inner and out surface of the foamboard, to add strength but ideally keep the extra weight to a minimum.
I will keep you posted on my progress, hoping to have the Edge repaired next week and ready for another test flight (this time with the landing gear secured in place and the side force generators removed).

I only say that because I’m bad at hand launching
Oh it's easy once you get it, and if you have a good stable flier in your hand. Did you see my recent vid? The launch sure isn't the problem! It's as easy as dropping a magazine on the coffee table.

The first step is to never say " I’m bad at hand launching" again. That makes it true.
It's perfectly ok to say "I've been having a hard time with hand launching" or "I've been finding hand launching a real challenge". Those are both true statements.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Continued with the Edge repairs today. Cut out a replacement vertical former from foamboard and started cutting one out of 1.5mm plywood too for bracing. 20210515_171557.jpg 20210516_160212.jpg
I have also brought my new planes with me so I can start swapping over to XT60 connectors.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Looks pretty rough at the moment looking into the motor bay. However, by the time I have used a scalpel and trimmed around the edges and made it neat, it won't look quite as bad.
I am planning to just use just the one plywood brace, which will be glued to the foamboard former. I will strip off the paper and bond the plywood straight to the foam itself. The plywood side will be inside the cowl, so inside the battery bay it will look normal.
Still pondering on the use of an epoxy to strengthen the horizontal motor mounting former and bonding it to the cowl sides after :unsure:.
I will still need to put some plywood braces on the top of the horizontal motor mounting former to brace it and give it extra rigidity. After these modifications I reckon I will be a lot happier with the build and strength around the nose section. It was always a weak spot and I had reservations about it when I was building it.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Any recommendations of a twin motor trainer with mm motors?, also, not scratchbuilding now, but will be later, got a working but very broken crashed b17 6ft wingspan form hobbyking free at the club today. will try fixing it. also need to stock up on some batts.