Anybody else scratch building tonight?

i think i'll stick with tape for now, since i bought four colors from radical rc.

painting looks like another learning curve and some new equipment, from what i've read so far.
might be a fun project for next winter.
either way, i prefer to maiden first, it case it doesn't fly (well) if all looks good, and it can handle some more weight, i will apply some color.
this is a new thing for me, since i reduced the plan 10% and have to figure out the power system.
Sounds like a solid plan. (y)

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Trying out a different airfoil design for a flying wing based on the kfm design, but unlike my last one, setup in a way to give a more 'real' airfoil front edge.

Build log/notes here:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/symetrical-kfm-inspired-wing.67603/

Cross section design:
1624241754584.png

Wing (just the main wing foam):
1624241807613.png

bisco

Elite member

JasonK

did you remove any foam on the inside of the bend?
I did 2 45deg bevel cuts at the very front edge for the bends to make it so they would bend better, but that was it. If you look at the build log, there is a picture of one of the wrapping pieces after it was prepared for being installed.

JasonK

Got everything but the winglets on. CG throw glide tests... it is 'slippery' in the air, it flows much smoother through the air (or so it feels) then the more blunt nosed version did.

not going to sink the electronics down into the wing just yet... depending on how it flies this time, I might try upgrading it to an A-pack motor... and that would change a bunch of the balance stuff.

1624325369939.png

Build log

bisco

Elite member
i just bought the a pack motor from flite test for $15. for my tiny tiny trainer. but i'm wondering if it might be too big.
i have an 1806 16g motor coming to compare with. it should be auw around 200g wth a 550 battery.

how much does your wing weigh?

JasonK

i just bought the a pack motor from flite test for $15. for my tiny tiny trainer. but i'm wondering if it might be too big.
i have an 1806 16g motor coming to compare with. it should be auw around 200g wth a 550 battery.

right now, AUW is 175g with a 2s 650mAh lipo

the A pack motor should be fine for something with an AUW of 200g.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member

The A pack motor is an 1806

skymaster

Elite member
so last night I did a little work on my goblin since it was feeling neglected with only the servos on, wich i notice were put on wrong. after fixing the servos and i just graved a motor i have and it kind of looked small, i went back to the video to look at something and i notice that the motor that they use on the video is an f pack motor and the one i have on it it's a racestar 2212, i though about gibing it a try like this but it feels to tail heavy even with a 2300mAh 3s pulled all the way forward barely balances. so tonight it going back to it and the motor will go to one of these two kayak or the MJ F-16

Attachments

• 2021-06-22 09.25.02.jpg
    2021-06-22 09.25.02.jpg
    641 KB · Views: 0
  • 2021-06-22 09.24.45.jpg
    2021-06-22 09.24.45.jpg
    800.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2021-06-22 09.24.07.jpg
    2021-06-22 09.24.07.jpg
    656.4 KB · Views: 0

OliverW

Legendary member
so last night I did a little work on my goblin since it was feeling neglected with only the servos on, wich i notice were put on wrong. after fixing the servos and i just graved a motor i have and it kind of looked small, i went back to the video to look at something and i notice that the motor that they use on the video is an f pack motor and the one i have on it it's a racestar 2212, i though about gibing it a try like this but it feels to tail heavy even with a 2300mAh 3s pulled all the way forward barely balances. so tonight it going back to it and the motor will go to one of these two kayak or the MJ F-16
Even with the recommended motor my goblin was tail heavy. Its the curse of that thing unless you have fpv in it. I just started gluing penny's and quarter's to it until the cg was right lol. It made it a $5 plane rather than a $2 one haha

Caleb_g

Hey op, I'm building a storch too! Just got all the foam finished up, and wired most of the servos. What gauge wire do you use for the servos and gear? My brother is a piano repairman so I can get what I need.... I just dont know what I need 😂