Anybody else scratch building tonight?

Mr. Gandalf

Elite member
Base colors applied, any suggestions for how I should decorate it?

1579649749313.png

K3V0

Elite member
Nice work, @speedbirdted! That looks so clean!

My project isn’t as big but it’s got some chonky wheels!😆
1616C0DF-56E3-4825-8D7F-4F2C496357A2.jpeg

Look at that!
1E552F91-C61A-4ACB-BCCC-C9A8767BFFE9.jpeg

I minwaxed the plane and was planning on using the old storch wheels for it. But on a whim I built the kit wheels out of some left over black fb. They’re wonky but now it had some big tires! 😁
And because I can’t help but work on 2-3 planes at a time ...
80643234-8A1F-4FAE-98C1-00678E480140.jpeg
DFEA3019-B8B8-4C13-8F32-8EA5C8CB15AD.jpeg

I was scratch dis-assembling today if that counts :ROFLMAO:

Here is a maiden vid for you to chew on
It always counts!👍Those parts go into the next one, right? That was a great video in all respects! Did you have to adjust much after losing the floats? I was surprised to see you used low rates! That thing tears it up!😁

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Nice work, @speedbirdted! That looks so clean!

My project isn’t as big but it’s got some chonky wheels!😆 View attachment 155424

Look at that!
View attachment 155425
I minwaxed the plane and was planning on using the old storch wheels for it. But on a whim I built the kit wheels out of some left over black fb. They’re wonky but now it had some big tires! 😁
And because I can’t help but work on 2-3 planes at a time ...
View attachment 155423 View attachment 155426

It always counts!👍Those parts go into the next one, right? That was a great video in all respects! Did you have to adjust much after losing the floats? I was surprised to see you used low rates! That thing tears it up!😁
I didn't have to adjust anything once the floats were off, it did become more nimble some though. I haven't flown the Bloody Baron in awhile so I might put it up sometime soon to compare the two, but I don't remember it being that maneuverable. The Sidewinder had a slow servo, factory defect for the ailerons so it was a little unpredictable. I was trying to bring it in for lower passes, notching the elevator trim down a little at a time but it was so pitchy. Needed more expo.

Happy to see you have the Kitfox plans printed out, uses the same wheels as your BW. Any questions PM me, or post on the Kitfox thread

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

DutchRoll

Well, It's a tad bit windy out here on the plains, so Ugly-EZ is sitting this one out today. But free flying time is usable build time, so I'm kit bashing a Miles M.35 tandem wing chuck glider out of black foam board, based on plans for a cable controlled balsa version I found on the interwebs. So far I've got the fuselage and the front wing completed, and I'll turn to the main wing and rudders next. I've sized the build so that I can stuff the B power pod in there if I want to RC it.

M.35-Parts.jpg M.35-Assembly.jpg M.35-TwoPlanes.jpg

DutchRoll

I worked on the wing, and got it 85% right. Probably enough to fly, just kinda wonky. I didn't cut the wingtip angles right, so they need to be fixed with some triangles of foam, and the thickness is a little shallow - needs another 1/16th or so. But at least I got the polyhedral right.

Sorry about the out of focus on the last one - apparently the camera on my phone thought it should focus on the tape dispenser.

m.35-1stwing.jpg m.35-fitting.jpg

DutchRoll

I finished it up with some rudder fins, and it balanced out tail heavy. But after I put a nickel under the front wing's rubberbands, it balance just a bit nose heavy. Now I just need the wind to stop, and I can give it a test chuck. I will say that having the rudders out on the end of the polyhedral wings looks weird, with the way they cant up and in. My eye doesn't believe that they're on straight.

As for converting this to RC, I'm leaning towards making it a bank and yank with elevons on the front wing, maybe make it so the nose slides off to change out the battery.

All in all, a fun little excersise, and a nice way to spend a day off. It's an unusual plane, and a pity it never made it past prototyping.