Anybody else scratch building tonight?

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Starting a new Spit tonight to replace my old, tired, battered Clo Clo. Over two years and many, many flights. Lots of coats of paint, unnecessay mods, stray wires leading nowhere. Dunno when everybody else throws in the towel on an airframe, but I'm having a hard time ripping her apart for parts to make the new and improved version.

Attachments

• 20220118_173508.jpg
    20220118_173508.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220115_161151.jpg
    20220115_161151.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

checkerboardflyer

Scratch building a Depron model called the Busch Trottel. The plans show sboundary layer fences with 8 holes in each. If you’ve worked with foam board awhile you know that you need special tools to make neat holes. I’ve tried regular drill bits and they don’t work well. Even tried a Forstner bit. No luck. They all leave ragged holes.

One way to make neat holes in foam board is to use Logan Foam Works hole cutters. They sell a set of hole cutters that provide the following sizes: 7mm, 12.7mm, 19mm. The holes drawn on the plans appear to be approximately 9.5mm. Now what? I decided to use the middle size from Logan, make 6 holes instead of 8, and space the centers further apart. See more details of my solution on my blog: https://foamboardflyers.com

Attachments

• 1-boundary layer fence.jpeg
    1-boundary layer fence.jpeg
    827.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 3-boundary layer fence sm.jpeg
    3-boundary layer fence sm.jpeg
    577.2 KB · Views: 0

bisco

Elite member
i give up after i repair and she won't fly well. sometimes, i just can't find the prolem, and it's easier to start over.

SSgt Duramax

i give up after i repair and she won't fly well. sometimes, i just can't find the prolem, and it's easier to start over.
Nothing was damaged as far as the wings and fuselage go. The front just got crumpled. I already have plans for the rebuild like a smooth airfoil, more contouring, and flaps.

I came up with this idea for break away landing gear. The gear is glued to a fat craft stick and velcroed to the wing.
20220119_204043.jpg

Yeah I can't figure out the convenience of buying servos with connectors already attached. For me there have been very few times those wires were long enough. Just soldering everything seems to be the way. What a drag.

bwarz

Master member
LOL I've had that since before they invented screws. :D Back when people knew what "Craftsman" was.
quite likely me too or darned close :LOL:. I think it was in my first set in the 80s, which are mostly still original even though they have a lifetime warranty. I miss being able to walk into Sears though to get a quick in-and-out replacement:(

quite likely me too or darned close :LOL:. I think it was in my first set in the 80s, which are mostly still original even though they have a lifetime warranty. I miss being able to walk into Sears though to get a quick in-and-out replacement:(
I miss Sears. Period. And now I gotta go to Macy's for Levi's. And 2/3 of the Levi's are stretch denim. Stretch denim? Girl's clothes? For Levi's? Then you ask the kids behind the register a question and they think you're from Mars. Grrrr.

bwarz

Master member
I miss Sears. Period. And now I gotta go to Macy's for Levi's. And 2/3 of the Levi's are stretch denim. Stretch denim? Girl's clothes? For Levi's? Then you ask the kids behind the register a question and they think you're from Mars. Grrrr.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

checkerboardflyer

There is something called a French Curve that is used in manual drafting to draw smooth curves. Most drafting nowadays is done on a computer, but you can still buy them. They come in a variety of sizes and configurations. I find them handy to use as a guide when cutting curved lines in foam board. Available in both plastic and metal, I choose metal because it resists being cut into by the blade. More tips on my blog: https://foamboardflyers.com

french curve - 1.jpeg