Anybody else scratch building tonight?

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Quick question, what power pack does it use?
f, hopefully. It has way too much power on the 2450kv 2306s that I am using. I am using 3s, but it has a spreadsheet link with the info on the thread. power pack a might work, but it could theoretically be underpowered a little.

Timmy

Legendary member
I'm drawing up something.
View attachment 216246

It's reminiscent of a P-40 but that was an accident. Also has a form like a Golden Age racer. That was intentional. Loads of wing, like the FT Scout. I measured - the Scout has so much wing it's like a kite.

It reminds me of a lot of things but it's an original development. For example: at a specific wingspan and surface area I drew half a dozen wings, and this is the one I chose just because it looks aggressive & cool. It uses all the techniques we've seen before in FT planes, but I drew it up fresh, not from any particular plane. I guess I was after something that flies like a FT Scout, but better looking like a racing plane, and something unique because I won't be happy unless I design it myself. :)
Those are big wings, it looks like its going to be floaty :D

bwarz

Master member
Reverse bends in DTFB for fillets is a royal pain in the butt but so rewarding!
1642813114937870244988900677928.jpg

Still got a few wrinkles but this is just the prototype!

Quick easy question:
Early on I standardized all my connectors to XT30s. I fly on the smaller side so that's been perfect.
Now I'm designing for my first
Those are big wings, it looks like its going to be floaty :D
Hope it flies well! Inspired directly from the Scout.

Tench745

Master member
I had an idea the other day for a build contest where everyone tries to build the most lop-sided, crooked, broken and badly built looking plane they can but still make it fly well.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
I had an idea the other day for a build contest where everyone tries to build the most lop-sided, crooked, broken and badly built looking plane they can but still make it fly well.
I saw and airplane like that in an old RC modeler magazine the other day. I forgot what it was called but it was designed to be the most lob-sided crooked airplane you could imagine that flew well

the rc project

Sounded real easy until you said fly well😂. Most of my straight, true, and clean planes fly poorly😂

SSgt Duramax

I am more for dumpster plane myself. No foam board allowed!

We need to come up for rules similar to the 24 hours of lemons for cars. We raced that once. Interesting what you can come up with. Here are the rules, something similar... no 3d printed parts, foam board, or other typical RC building apparatus allowed with exemptions, like RX/TX, motor/prop (although a junk motor would be bonus points) props, and anything else that could be dangerous. A $3 limit or something like that.

4: VEHICLE PRICE

4.1 Total Investment in Vehicle Can Not Exceed $500: Except for items described in Rules 4.2 and 4.3, the total spent to purchase and prepare any car may not exceed $500.

4.1.1 Lame-Ass Rationalizations: Cars that “should be” worth $500 don’t count; cars that “were worth $500” before you spent another $2000 to fix them don’t count; cars you’ve owned for 20 years and spent more than $500 on during that time don’t count; “it would have been worth $500 if it didn’t already have a cage” doesn’t count. Five hundred dollars means five hundred frickin’ dollars!

4.1.2 Lame-Ass Rationalizations About Parts: Same deal. “Free” parts, parts given to you by your buddies, parts left lying around the shop…that crap doesn’t impress us. It’s worth whatever the last real guy paid in the last real purchase. Don’t think you’re clever.

4.2 Safety Equipment DOES NOT Count Toward $500 Total: Safety equipment described in Section 3 DOES NOT count toward the $500 total. “Safety” refers to things that can save the driver—not things that can save the car.

4.2.1 In addition to the items and processes listed in Section 3, the following are considered safety-related and are therefore exempt:

• Wheels, tires, wheel bearings, ball joints, and brake components
  • Exhaust systems downstream of the header/exhaust manifold (NOTE: Turbos and related components are NOT exempt from the $500 limit. Nice try.)
  • Windshields and wipers
  • Driver comfort & information (steering wheel, shifter, gauges, pedals, cool suits, vents, heaters, radio)
  • All fuel hoses, fuel fittings, fuel filters, and related mounts; and
  • All fuel-system components upstream of the fuel pump, including fuel tanks, fuel cells, mounts, fillers, vents, etc. (NOTE: Fuel pumps, carburetors, injection pumps, computers, and individual injectors are NOT exempt from the $500 limit.)
4.3 Registration, Insurance, and License DO NOT Count Toward $500 Total: Registration, insurance, or license charges—assuming for some reason you bothered—DO NOT count toward the $500 total.

4.4 BS Factor: To prevent cheating, all cars will be inspected by a panel appointed by the Organizers. At that time, all teams will be given an opportunity to describe the car’s purchase and prep. If the panel believes the limit set out in Rule 4.1 has been exceeded, it will assign a Bullshit Factor (BSF) equal to one BSF per $10 above the limit. The entry will be docked one lap for each BSF assigned. (Ten dollars = one BSF = one lap.) Entrants are very, very, exceedingly strongly encouraged to bring pre-race-prep photographs, verifiable receipts, notarized testimonials, plus any and all other supporting evidence to Tech/BS Inspection. Or at least make up plausible-sounding stories in advance.

4.4.1 Appeal of BSF Panel Decisions. Get real. There’s no appealing this decision. You’re boned.

4.5 Sponsorships: Conned some hard-working corp into giving you parts or cash? Nice work, but it still counts toward the $500 total. We recommend blowing that sponsorship dough on other stuff instead—hotel rooms, gasoline, entry fees, pedicures, driver suits, personal male enhancement medication, travel expenses, Freudian therapy for the Organizers…things like that.

4.6 Labor Costs: If you didn’t pay for the labor, it doesn’t count toward the $500 total. If you did pay for it, it does count toward the $500 total. This just ain’t that complicated.

4.7 Scavenger Sales: If you sell pieces off of your car, the money that comes back in can be used to offset the initial purchase price. (This only applies to stuff that counts toward the $500 total; the sale of exempt items—like wheels, glass, interior trim, etc.—can NOT be used to offset the initial purchase price.) Just be prepared to convince some exceedingly skeptical judges of the validity of all those transactions.

4.8 Residual Value: Dumb enough to bring the same pile back for another race? Either do the whole BS process again (bring all your papers and evidence—we ain’t gonna remember your sad-sack story from last time) or email the Everything Bagel to beg a residual value. Include clear post-race pix of the car and list any major mechanical stuff that needs fixing.

Last edited:

cyclone3350

Master member
Micro p-51 update View attachment 216415

Finally got everything sanded to shape and finished. All the electronics installed and tested View attachment 216398 View attachment 216399 View attachment 216403
Just have to wait for a rare nice and non windy day to maiden her.
View attachment 216401
Lots of coloring to do still
View attachment 216406

Holy cow. That looks cool :cool:. It actually looked pretty good before the sanding to shape. Nice job on the spinner.

Micro p-51 update View attachment 216415

Finally got everything sanded to shape and finished. All the electronics installed and tested View attachment 216398 View attachment 216399 View attachment 216403
Just have to wait for a rare nice and non windy day to maiden her.
View attachment 216401
Lots of coloring to do still
View attachment 216406
Holy cow. That looks cool :cool:. It actually looked pretty good before the sanding to shape. Nice job on the spinner.
Hey I thought it would stay in the stacked profiles form! That was cool too. But you're making it beautiful.

SSgt Duramax

Jade_Monkey07

Hey I thought it would stay in the stacked profiles form! That was cool too. But you're making it beautiful.

Thanks! I really enjoyed the looks of the stacks too, but I wanted scale looks on this one. If I wreck it, I'll rebuild with just the stacks for times sake.