Anybody else scratch building tonight?

RossFPV

Sounds like a plan and that is a nice plane. Yanking and banking is way better than the old rudder and elevator thing, I usually do 3 channels as ailerons and elevator, I found it easier that way when I was starting out.
I guess i like the rudder more because i started on a 3ch (with rudder) hobbyzone duet

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Been stuck doing house-renovations/spring cleaning/room reshuffling for the past week or two for my twin bro and his family coming to visit from South Africa next week, so haven't had much time to fly (also, bad weather conditions).
But to unwind at the end of a long day and evening, I've been getting stuck into making a new Commuter.
View attachment 227190 View attachment 227198 View attachment 227192 View attachment 227193 View attachment 227194 View attachment 227196

Hoping to maiden this after I complete my bush plane challenges, but also needed a clean work table before the guests arrive, so got this done and ready to go!

Will work on paint and details once I have a successful flight, or get bored, whichever comes first...
Awesome work! Good luck with the maiden(y)(y)

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Started my next project last night, the F-86D SabreDog. Should be an interesting build. Starting with the wings first as I will need the wing root profile to establish the proper cutout on the fuse. It will be prop driven as this plane allows for that with its nose. Weather is no go for flying this weekend , so I have some extra time to put on this.
IMG_20220618_074545.jpg
IMG_20220618_074345191_HDR.jpg

RossFPV

Started my next project last night, the F-86D SabreDog. Should be an interesting build. Starting with the wings first as I will need the wing root profile to establish the proper cutout on the fuse. It will be prop driven as this plane allows for that with its nose. Weather is no go for flying this weekend , so I have some extra time to put on this.
View attachment 227240 View attachment 227241
How big will the wingspan be? On the table it looks like it might be around 40-50 inches

The Fopster

Master member
Really really nice! Love the cowl and gun, they look awesome. Are you putting cabane struts out on the wing too? Did this plane have them? I can see mount points or something on the wing there.
Yes, there will be struts. The plan is to use BBQ skewers, with maybe foamboard or wood to make the wider and a bit more scale. The fittings are attachment points for the flying wires. No idea how I’m going to do those!

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Wing is just about there, need to add some tips and finish off the trailing edge before I cut the ailerons. All in all it wasn't too bad for my first swept wing. The fuse is going to be a little tricky as I don't have a top view to reference. Generally what happens is I will study the plans for about an hour and I will come up with a some sort of idea for a sub frame to build the formers off of , then I'll cut and adjust all the parts I need and then the fun begins :ROFLMAO:. I am thinking that skinning this should not be much of an issue with maybe 5 or six pieces to do it. Gonna cut some xps blocks for the wing tips and shape those and then call it a night I think.

IMG_20220618_203254431_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220618_203326989_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220618_212049604.jpg
IMG_20220618_212121803.jpg
IMG_20220618_212639453.jpg

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Wing is just about there, need to add some tips and finish off the trailing edge before I cut the ailerons. All in all it wasn't too bad for my first swept wing. The fuse is going to be a little tricky as I don't have a top view to reference. Generally what happens is I will study the plans for about an hour and I will come up with a some sort of idea for a sub frame to build the formers off of , then I'll cut and adjust all the parts I need and then the fun begins :ROFLMAO:. I am thinking that skinning this should not be much of an issue with maybe 5 or six pieces to do it. Gonna cut some xps blocks for the wing tips and shape those and then call it a night I think.

View attachment 227276 View attachment 227277 View attachment 227278 View attachment 227279 View attachment 227280
You are prodigious

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Here is where I am at with the SabreDog, spent last night finishing the rear of the fuse and its formers, as well as fine tuning all the formers just to make make sure everything lined up good for the skins. Also worked out the front cowl situation, it looks like its pointing kinda down in the pic because its just loosely held in place with a couple of pins, it is going to be removable. Tonight will be getting the wing mounts in place so that I can mount the wing and get the bottom formered out. And I will be getting the motor mount in position now that the cowl is done and I know where the motor needs to be. The only other challenge I am foreseeing is the horizontal stabilizer setup, from what I can see on the balsa plans it looks like the entire h-stab moves instead of an h-stab with elevators. If anybody has a bit of insight on this I would greatly appreciate the input. I need to study some pictures as well just to wrap my brain around the whole back end of this plane. Oh, and I have a new spinner printing, that one is from my P-40 ,its not quite the right shape and its just a touch too big. Tailfeathers are cut but it will be a night or two before I am ready for them. I love this plane, was one of my top bucket list builds, glad I started it.

IMG_20220621_202518022.jpg
IMG_20220621_202525940.jpg
IMG_20220621_202545478_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220621_203212352_HDR.jpg

cyclone3350

Master member
Here is where I am at with the SabreDog, spent last night finishing the rear of the fuse and its formers, as well as fine tuning all the formers just to make make sure everything lined up good for the skins. Also worked out the front cowl situation, it looks like its pointing kinda down in the pic because its just loosely held in place with a couple of pins, it is going to be removable. Tonight will be getting the wing mounts in place so that I can mount the wing and get the bottom formered out. And I will be getting the motor mount in position now that the cowl is done and I know where the motor needs to be. The only other challenge I am foreseeing is the horizontal stabilizer setup, from what I can see on the balsa plans it looks like the entire h-stab moves instead of an h-stab with elevators. If anybody has a bit of insight on this I would greatly appreciate the input. I need to study some pictures as well just to wrap my brain around the whole back end of this plane. Oh, and I have a new spinner printing, that one is from my P-40 ,its not quite the right shape and its just a touch too big. Tailfeathers are cut but it will be a night or two before I am ready for them. I love this plane, was one of my top bucket list builds, glad I started it.

View attachment 227401 View attachment 227402 View attachment 227403 View attachment 227404

Too cool. I bought a Nitro Planes 86D a few years ago that I thought about converting to an EDF. When I get settled down in the new place, I'm gonna have to make that one on my list. I down loaded the same plans to use to remake the cowl intake. Luv what U did with it(y)

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Too cool. I bought a Nitro Planes 86D a few years ago that I thought about converting to an EDF. When I get settled down in the new place, I'm gonna have to make that one on my list. I down loaded the same plans to use to remake the cowl intake. Luv what U did with it(y)
Thanks my friend. I have a question for you. I am experimenting with film, trying to shave weight from builds and give it that vinyl finished look. I am going to call my first attempt a success/failure. I have no idea what brand the film is, it was a freebie from Banggood and was for the Dancing Wings Savage Bobber. I used a regular iron, the tip of it for the most part and probably not the right tool for the job LOL, so there are two problems which contribute to the failure aspect of everything. Here is a pic to show what I mean. Maybe you can't use film on foambaord? Although I have seen it done . Any insight, tips you could share? I seem to be melting the foamboard.

IMG_20220621_215648152_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220621_215638421_HDR.jpg

L Edge

Master member
To experiment with film on foamboard, you need 2 devices. You need a variable temp iron (see TowerHobby) and a temp gun that can measure the temp within a few degrees to make it work.

Beside finding out what temp the foamboard starts to melt and the temp range of the film, then you will have to experiment with the range of temps for
1) tacking the film onto the foam (monokote does it at 215-240)
2) having a good shrink (230-275)
3) max temp for max shrink (270-350)

Tip: I always take reading of iron before using on shrink. Use cotton shirt to cool it down if too hot, for once it is too high, shrink film goes goes brittle.