Anybody else scratch building tonight?

Rhinopilot

Working on a few variations of the mini scout. Traced the pattern from the speed build kit. Somehow one came out a "mustang" Reno racer.
20220702_202934.jpg

danskis

Master member
I started my 2nd F6F Hellcat from @Niez13 plans. The wing is pretty much done and I worked out some mods. It's built like the Spitfire speed build wing with only one spar and a fold over leading edge - unlike other MS builds. I sheeted it all the way to the tip on the bottom and put some washout in it when I folded it over. We'll see how well this works. Between the two top sheet halves I put a half rib to ensure that the airfoil stays the same across the fold
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

danskis

Master member
@Ratcheeroo - I see on your Cherokee that there is no internal frame. I was wondering how you determine the decalage for the wing and the elevator. Do you set it at zero/zero? How do you know where to put the slot for the elevator?

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
@Ratcheeroo - I see on your Cherokee that there is no internal frame. I was wondering how you determine the decalage for the wing and the elevator. Do you set it at zero/zero? How do you know where to put the slot for the elevator?
So I made that one from Balsa plans so I am simply following the incidence angles provided, Elevator pushrod will come out the centre back as there is ample room for it and it hides everything basically. Generally speaking most balsa plans will show servo placement, incidence angles, etc. The only time I deviate on servo placement is if the tail servos require long pushrods, hard to get those surfaces back to true centre with longer pushrod runs, and I find with the scale of the planes that I build that it helps CG balance to have those servos further back towards the tail surfaces. I will need to cut a slot for the rudder, basically I just eyeball it LOL.

Musdang

Not Quite Legendary
I started my 2nd F6F Hellcat from @Niez13 plans. The wing is pretty much done and I worked out some mods. It's built like the Spitfire speed build wing with only one spar and a fold over leading edge - unlike other MS builds. I sheeted it all the way to the tip on the bottom and put some washout in it when I folded it over. We'll see how well this works. Between the two top sheet halves I put a half rib to ensure that the airfoil stays the same across the fold View attachment 228030 View attachment 228031 View attachment 228032 View attachment 228033
Why does the inside look like my pfp

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
One piece to go, Think I am going to ditch the rubber bands and glue the wing in and make the last piece a hatch instead. Not sure why I did that, not a fan of it. Tail servos worked out nicely and it is sitting at 460 grams without the battery. Very solid plane. Should be finished construction tomorrow and get a start on making it pretty :LOL:

IMG_20220706_220459_967.jpg
IMG_20220706_220523_566.jpg
IMG_20220706_224349_918.jpg
IMG_20220706_220637_042.jpg
IMG_20220706_225623_439.jpg

Off-topic jes

Elite member
No plans per say, made this from a set of balsa plans however I am doing a group build of a Piper Tomahawk starting next week on Underground Foamies doing the same kind of thing converting a set of balsa plans, all are welcome to join in.
I just might have to I have an extra motors in control and battery

Off-topic jes

Elite member
No plans per say, made this from a set of balsa plans however I am doing a group build of a Piper Tomahawk starting next week on Underground Foamies doing the same kind of thing converting a set of balsa plans, all are welcome to join in.
OK scratch that I will but I can’t start building next week, maby the week after