Anybody else scratch building tonight?

Bricks

Master member
Unlikely nobody in my club are into combat.
So it's just for slow aeroatics or flat out speed with the alternate motor option

That is what I thought about my club as most were balsa builders, boy was I wrong. My nephew and I did combat just between the two of us to start. What made it really take off is Mike took it on to himself to build DT combat planes and sold them for $20 a piece install your on electronics. There is only three guy`s out of 39 members who does not fly combat now.

voyhager3

Ran out of tape so I couldn’t add the decks and canopy, but so far so good
This thing is gonna go on 4s!

Attachments

• C425F9B0-5B38-4F6F-AA03-32B6E2BFF3E0.jpeg
    C425F9B0-5B38-4F6F-AA03-32B6E2BFF3E0.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • DC362A05-55E9-4F65-84A7-D21B2E6AF26E.jpeg
    DC362A05-55E9-4F65-84A7-D21B2E6AF26E.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0

XSrcing

Creator of smoking holes
I didn't like the old Microjet V3 motor and ESC after they made some weird noises last flight. Installed a FT 2207 Radial with a 6x4.5 prop and a new 30 amp esc with a working brake. Now the thing can handle 4s.

And the Goblin got a big brother. A Reptile Dragon 1200. That is getting a Mateksys F411-WTE, 1.3 ghz video, yadda yadda yadda.

Attachments

• IMG_20221104_181038017_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221104_181038017_HDR.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0

mastermalpass

Elite member
The last one I made was the Taiidan Assault Frigate. [EDIT]: replacing pic of someone else's Frigate with pics of my Frigate. I made it so the turrets could swivel.

Oh yeah, I should probably mention; the reason I made a paper model of the Taiidan Assault Frigate was to help me suss out how I can make a flying one.

I'm wondering if there is a way to set up a big induction fan in the widest part of the hull; I'm thinking a contra-rotating pair of 9" three-blade props, which are then ducted to the nose, tail, port and starboard parts of the hull. The challenge is how I vary the thrust on the ducts for roll and pitch control. Shutters on the ends of the ducts will have the most immediate effect, but may cause turbulence and compression inside the duct, wasting energy. Shutters immediately below the fan will more efficiently divert air flow to the other ducts, but will that cause lag on the control? For yaw, I'll probably need some kind of bow-thruster.

I just think it would be cool to make a ship that doesn't use a conventional quad copter system. And two big props inside a big hollow model is gonna make a cool sound! 😃

MaxTheFliteFreak

Oh yeah, I should probably mention; the reason I made a paper model of the Taiidan Assault Frigate was to help me suss out how I can make a flying one.

I'm wondering if there is a way to set up a big induction fan in the widest part of the hull; I'm thinking a contra-rotating pair of 9" three-blade props, which are then ducted to the nose, tail, port and starboard parts of the hull. The challenge is how I vary the thrust on the ducts for roll and pitch control. Shutters on the ends of the ducts will have the most immediate effect, but may cause turbulence and compression inside the duct, wasting energy. Shutters immediately below the fan will more efficiently divert air flow to the other ducts, but will that cause lag on the control? For yaw, I'll probably need some kind of bow-thruster.

I just think it would be cool to make a ship that doesn't use a conventional quad copter system. And two big props inside a big hollow model is gonna make a cool sound! 😃
For yaw, hou can do what those cheap chinese helicopters do. You slow down and speed up one of the motors so the one's torque overpowers the other and thus spinning the craft in a controlled and simple manner.

mastermalpass

Elite member
For yaw, hou can do what those cheap chinese helicopters do. You slow down and speed up one of the motors so the one's torque overpowers the other and thus spinning the craft in a controlled and simple manner.

I thought that at first, but then wondered how much torque a 9" prop inside a duct could generate. I guess if/when I build something like this, I'll try the torque-yaw approach and if that's too weak, I'll stick some 3" props in for a bow/stern thruster couple.

MaxTheFliteFreak

I thought that at first, but then wondered how much torque a 9" prop inside a duct could generate. I guess if/when I build something like this, I'll try the torque-yaw approach and if that's too weak, I'll stick some 3" props in for a bow/stern thruster couple.
Those nine inch props should be nust fone for a light model, but that is why we test!