Anybody else scratch building tonight?

Bo123

Elite member
16504D09-5331-4B1E-893D-4B81170ECB7C.jpeg

Got a special something going on! When someone guesses it I will make a build thread.

Clue 1: Its not a plans build + its scale and its not an extra.

I have had a lot of fun flying my now beat-up FT Old Fogey, which I scratch-built last year. Now, I've decided to build another one, and after reading the thread about modifications for Old Fogey, I was lead to this very nice article, which included plans for the revised fuselage.

The fuselage is the only revised part - the wings and tail feathers are the same as the original Old Fogey.

I built the fuselage tonight (see photo.) The main idea behind this modification is to raise the horizontal stabilizer to be in line with the wing, rather than below the wing as in the original. This is nicely explained in the linked article.

With a busy next few days and weekend, I'll probably complete this one next week. My plan is to paint it Olive Drab with USAAF and "invasion stripe" markings, rather like an L-4 Grasshopper (USAAF WWII version of J-3 Cub.)

Attachments

• 20221108_171404.jpg
    20221108_171404.jpg
    847.3 KB · Views: 0

voyhager3

@voyhager3 - nose heavy is OK but balanced is better - you can always add weight to the tail or move the battery back if there is room.
Oh I know, it’s just I couldn’t move it back any further because the wing was in the way. It doesn’t matter bc the torque roll makes the plane pitch up a lot. Like an insane amount, it’s absolutely ridiculous how much torque this thing has

MaxTheFliteFreak

I have had a lot of fun flying my now beat-up FT Old Fogey, which I scratch-built last year. Now, I've decided to build another one, and after reading the thread about modifications for Old Fogey, I was lead to this very nice article, which included plans for the revised fuselage.

The fuselage is the only revised part - the wings and tail feathers are the same as the original Old Fogey.

I built the fuselage tonight (see photo.) The main idea behind this modification is to raise the horizontal stabilizer to be in line with the wing, rather than below the wing as in the original. This is nicely explained in the linked article.

With a busy next few days and weekend, I'll probably complete this one next week. My plan is to paint it Olive Drab with USAAF and "invasion stripe" markings, rather like an L-4 Grasshopper (USAAF WWII version of J-3 Cub.)
I missed the Old Fogey...

MaxTheFliteFreak

I think i have heard in a recent video the are making a Mighty Mini Old Fogey. It shouldn't be hard to make one without their plans though, just scale it to 60%.
I know that video, and Josh states once again how lift doesn't like to be scaled down. They did make a prototype and the performance was down graded from the original.