Anybody else scratch building tonight?

Bo123

Elite member
03731B57-5218-4BE2-8272-8877C7EF39B2.jpeg

I made this thing. I need wings now.

MaxTheFliteFreak

... And you actually fly planes like this and in your hanger? I could never. That needs to go in a glass case at a museum. I hope to one day be able to trust my flying skills to make and fly something on that level. Simply incredible... and yes... the color mattered. I now recognize it.
Same here, I also thought it was a fantasy model.

Off-topic jes

Elite member
Thanks for all the positive comments and likes for my recent build 🥳
decided to redo the paint scheme on the Sea Vixen before i added decals and finishing touches aas it is my last build of the year and it was only fair to finish her off properly
I hope you all have a safe festive period full of joy and laughter
View attachment 232955 View attachment 232956 View attachment 232957 View attachment 232958
This, is so Beautiful I literally made it my wall paper

Bo123

Elite member
I like the extra cowl detail as well. Good detail, nice landing gear and a beautiful design. inspires me to build something new.
Nice work. Good luck on your maiden.
thanks
Looking forward to seeing how it flies. That open hatch in the bonnet with those two side intakes make it look beastly!
The open bit on the top needs to be covered. Might have to put and air intake into it tho for cooling. Thanks.

Off-topic jes

Elite member
I’m going to be rather honest guys, I haven’t been feeling as enthusiastic about the hobby as I used to I’m feeling rather burnt out and bored of it. do you guys have any suggestions on what I should build next or what I should do to prevent me from losing my love for the hobby?

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I’m going to be rather honest guys, I haven’t been feeling as enthusiastic about the hobby as I used to I’m feeling rather burnt out and bored of it. do you guys have any suggestions on what I should build next or what I should do to prevent me from losing my love for the hobby?
I would say, build a sport flier, atleast for me, some rolls and loops can always put a smile on my face. something like the simple stick

we all have those moments, and you will probaby find some new aspect of thsi hobby that you would love. maybe build an indoor drone to fly often?

Yankee2003

The reason I love the hobby is the things you can learn, the flight envelopes you can explore.
Take advantage of the new year and challenge yourself to a new part of the hobby you haven’t explored. For me it has been the exploration of multi-engine models and the radio programming that makes them different. Besides making preparations for FF 2023, I started a Top Flight 60 Corsair. A fairly involved balsa build that will challenge me for the next few months. Sourcing retracts, fiberglassing a large balsa model, airbrushing a nice finish, and converting a plane that was designed decades ago for Nitro engines to electric. All new areas of RC for me. Maybe you can find and refurbish a neglected airframe someone else has decided to part with. Tons of techniques and electronics to keep your brain engaged.
I also bought a NX8 so I can learn some forward programming ( I have always flown Futaba) with Spektrum so I can set up an FT Tudor with all the stability and safe features like an Apprentice. Have my grandson learn on it and enjoy all the ups and downs involved in that. Yes I could buy a RTF Apprentice..but there is no challenge in that.
It is easy to get a bit ……bored…once to have mastered skills you never imagined you could develop. A simple loop, Cuban 8 or 4 point roll get a bit mundane after you can execute a rolling circle or a slow roll for the entire length of the runway. Going fast…awesome…until the EDF jet that scared you when you bought it, slowly turns into a one trick pony.
Eventually it happens to all of us. We get pretty good at this and wonder what else is there to learn. You are not alone.
Create, learn, imagine and explore. And when you maiden that new experience….the joy of flight will once again show on your face.
Find a new corner of RC. The small door in the far corner of a dusty basement that leads to a dark tunnel. A journey that can only be seen as far ahead as your lantern can light in front of you. Slowly leading you, 5 ft…10ft at a time to a new destination.
You never know where it may take you.
Don’t give up hope…there are exciting revelations waiting beyond your horizons.

Brian B

Elite member
I would say, build a sport flier, atleast for me, some rolls and loops can always put a smile on my face. something like the simple stick

we all have those moments, and you will probaby find some new aspect of thsi hobby that you would love. maybe build an indoor drone to fly often?

Hard to get a read on what would rev you up without knowing a lot more about you. Is it building or flying that needs spark? But here's an out of the box thought.

Like the old-timers would say, graduate up from radio control to free flight!

Having a perfectly trimmed bird circle up one way on a steep climb, transition to opposite circles on the glide down, maybe catch a thermal, that's a thrill. Achieve a perfect flight, from pure design and execution, with no control input (autonomous?). I still remember a 20min flight from 15 second run time 40 years ago. Now a days, you can cheat a little and sneak in a modern radio.... but only to get it to land exactly where you want.

For reference.

Https://rclibrary.co.uk/download_title.asp?ID=1005

Tench745

Master member
I have been there from time to time. Sometimes I just need a little time away. And after a little while I start missing it, or I see something that gets the gears turning, or the weather is nice and I'm out of space in the hangar so it's time to fly hard and make some space.

Off-topic jes

Elite member
I have been there from time to time. Sometimes I just need a little time away. And after a little while I start missing it, or I see something that gets the gears turning, or the weather is nice and I'm out of space in the hangar so it's time to fly hard and make some space.
thank you all so much! i went here first and im glad i did. i am going to try out free flight. ill keep you all caught up!

CrshNBrn

Elite member

Have you gone through the 13th Squadron designs? Lots of neat details and opportunities to push your skills.