Anybody else scratch building tonight?

Inq

Elite member
Hi, does anyone know where I can find balsa wood glider plans? If I want to build a balsa glider off of the plans, is it just like plans for flite test planes?

Have you ever built one of the old Guillows balsa models? I built a bunch of them when I was a kid in the 60's and 70's. Now, I couldn't afford them. I guess I can't complain... models were under $10, but a decent radio was $1000. Now, my $50 FlySky radio is far better than the old radio and is cheaper than just one Guillows kit. - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006GZ3M8/?tag=lstir-20

Anyway... they're a lot more involved than FT design stuff. The plans are typically more like a plastic Revel model showing step by step. But it is FAR more tedious. You might spend a couple of weeks building up the fuselage and wing on a 30 inch wingspan scale plane.

And when they crash... IT really hurts.

MaxTheFliteFreak

Most balsa plans have a very different way of showing you what you need to know when compared to FT plans. outerzone.co.uk has all kinds of free balsa plans available. I would suggest looking at the Gentle Lady glider or the Electra (same plane but with a motor) to get a sense of what plans for a balsa glider usually look like. Then dig around until you find one that is the size and complexity that you might want to tackle. If you do decide to build one, start a build thread so we can follow along and answer any questions you might have!
Thanks!

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Just finishing up @SP0NZ 's Foam Wonder Racer. Nice easy build. It calls for a 10" prop on a 2212 motor. What have you used?

Last edited:

Inq

Elite member
I got them with the kit, but he sells plans only. They’re not cheap…. If you Google Tony Nijhuis you’ll find his website. It was my Christmas present from my wife…

I enjoyed the building, but never really did much beyond the Guillows and flying them on rubber-bands seemed rather silly to me. The one I tried to convert to using a Cox 0.49 dismally weakened with fuel and finally became a puddle/heap. Using dope judiciously didn't really cut it. Beside... I was always turned off with the lack of scale once you covered it and the tissue paper and seeing the faceted sides between stringers and cupping between wing ribs... authentic on a WWI DR-1, but a total joke on a WWII Corsair. The one non-toy plane I did was a Sig Kadet Senior and it was a beauty, but still really stick and frame using Monocote. It's subsequent auger-in after maybe thirty minutes of flight time and cracking of the K&N motor was more than my hobby budget and ego could take - Exit hobby for 40 years. Now... I've embraced the Fly'm, crash'm, fix'm, build new'm ethos. At $5 a pop, I can enjoy that!

I always marveled (then and now) at people that could take just the simple balsa sheets and turn them into truly scale planes down to the smallest detail. Breathtaking to see. I might be able to build at that level, but my piloting skills (lack of) keep me from actually starting down that road. Maybe some day. I'm enjoying your build @The Fopster . Please keep the posts coming... and for grins... would you note your time spent? I understand, time is not factor into creating a masterpiece, but I am curious. If for no other reason... than to know what I'd be getting myself into.

Thanks for the Tony Nijhuis reference. The ~$220 for that kit doesn't seem all that extreme compared to $100 for a Guillow plane. ;)

Inq

Elite member
Just finishing up Sp0nz's Foam Wonder Racer. Nice easy build. It calls for a 10" prop on a 2212 motor. What have you used?

Surely @SP0NZ is the expert on his own design. But I do wonder... I have all three flavors of A2212. The 1000kv uses the 10x4.5 prop, the 1400kv uses a 8x6 and the 2200kv uses a 6x3. I was told the 10x4.5 prop would be perfect for a slow trainer like a Storch and it seems great while I'm learning. I would have thought the Foam Wonder Racer would be better suited to the 1400kv with its recommened 8x6 prop. The 6" pitch would be able to achieve higher speeds than the 10x4.5.

And my advice is only worth 2¢. I'm actually waiting for @SP0NZ to explain it so I can understand a new, more practical reason.

Casey Cyrus

Merging old school with new. So far bbq skewers and meat tray bottoms for the fuse and wing is flattened MS corsair spar with feather decoration. Debating on trying you use old monocoat or stick with tape. I am sure it will end up with my ski package because I will not be able to wait for blue sky to fly.

Building tip. If you do not have thin hobby ply for spars I have been using the plastic sign board material. Looks like plastic cardboard. It is lite and has held up on my Corsair.

Attachments

• 20230119_181829.jpg
    20230119_181829.jpg
    824.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230120_165219.jpg
    20230120_165219.jpg
    953.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230120_165232.jpg
    20230120_165232.jpg
    1,019.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230119_182509.jpg
    20230119_182509.jpg
    906.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230119_181646.jpg
    20230119_181646.jpg
    851.8 KB · Views: 0

Casey Cyrus

Merging old school with new. So far bbq skewers and meat tray bottoms for the fuse and wing is flattened MS corsair spar with feather decoration. Debating on trying you use old monocoat or stick with tape. I am sure it will end up with my ski package because I will not be able to wait for blue sky to fly.

Building tip. If you do not have thin hobby ply for spars I have been using the plastic sign board material. Looks like plastic cardboard. It is lite and has held up on my Corsair.

Attachments

• 20230121_090650.jpg
    20230121_090650.jpg
    942.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230121_090628.jpg
    20230121_090628.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0

The Fopster

Master member
I enjoyed the building, but never really did much beyond the Guillows and flying them on rubber-bands seemed rather silly to me. The one I tried to convert to using a Cox 0.49 dismally weakened with fuel and finally became a puddle/heap. Using dope judiciously didn't really cut it. Beside... I was always turned off with the lack of scale once you covered it and the tissue paper and seeing the faceted sides between stringers and cupping between wing ribs... authentic on a WWI DR-1, but a total joke on a WWII Corsair. The one non-toy plane I did was a Sig Kadet Senior and it was a beauty, but still really stick and frame using Monocote. It's subsequent auger-in after maybe thirty minutes of flight time and cracking of the K&N motor was more than my hobby budget and ego could take - Exit hobby for 40 years. Now... I've embraced the Fly'm, crash'm, fix'm, build new'm ethos. At $5 a pop, I can enjoy that!

I always marveled (then and now) at people that could take just the simple balsa sheets and turn them into truly scale planes down to the smallest detail. Breathtaking to see. I might be able to build at that level, but my piloting skills (lack of) keep me from actually starting down that road. Maybe some day. I'm enjoying your build @The Fopster . Please keep the posts coming... and for grins... would you note your time spent? I understand, time is not factor into creating a masterpiece, but I am curious. If for no other reason... than to know what I'd be getting myself into.

Thanks for the Tony Nijhuis reference. The ~$220 for that kit doesn't seem all that extreme compared to $100 for a Guillow plane. ;)
I haven’t been keeping track of the time, but I’d guess twelve hours so far. I could have gone much quicker, but I’m enjoying taking my time. Tony himself puts on of these little 50mm fan models together in a day…

Reactions: Inq

shadeyB

Legendary member
Am I assuming correctly, this is a kit of some sort? Some parts look molded while others you're carving. Where would I find this?
not far from the truth pal as some parts are 3D printed while the rest is cut from foam Store – Semi-Scale Parkjets (jetworks.online)
I'm seeing a MiG-29 profile!
not far away buddy but the clue is in the tail, one of the best flying jets i have built and flown, many different designers have this one and they all fly awesome
building the SU27

mastermalpass

Elite member
not far from the truth pal as some parts are 3D printed while the rest is cut from foam Store – Semi-Scale Parkjets (jetworks.online)

not far away buddy but the clue is in the tail, one of the best flying jets i have built and flown, many different designers have this one and they all fly awesome
building the SU27

Ah, I see. Am I right in thinking you've made an Su-27 before? One like this, I mean, not an RCPowers Su-27 V5.

luvmy40

Elite member
I started the 13th Squadron Mini Zero build today. I ran into several problems.

First off, I imported the full size plans to Inkscape. The only editing I did was to fit all the pieces onto two 20"x 30" sheets and to fix the line colors to work with my GRBL GCode extension.

The first issue was when I noticed the main fuse skin with the top hatch/canopy cut out. The canopy cut out was way off center. So, I printed the plans to hand cut the part. The printed plans were at a completely different scale(smaller) than the import. I just traced the original cut, centered the cut out, and cut it by hand.

The next issue I found was with the tail fuse section fit to the the horizontal and vertical stabs. The cut out for the tail feathers was about 1/2" too deep for the stab assembly. I had to trim it shorter to fit the tail assembly. Then, there was no relief for down elevator incorporated(wouldn't have been there even if I hadn't had to trim it).

The next issue was with the fit/scale of the canopy/hatch to the main fuse. As you can see in the pics, they do not match up at all. It should fly OK, and from 10' away, you'll not see it, but it ain't right.

Has anyone else seen any of these issues with these plans? This is the first 13th Squadron build I have tackled.
Zero 80 Percent.jpg
Zero Canopy Fitment 1.jpg
Zero Canopy Fitment 2.jpg
Zero Fuse 1.jpg
Zero Fuse 2.jpg
Zero Fuse with Tail Feathers.jpg