Anybody else scratch building tonight?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I was looking at doing something like that out of FB as a winter plane that I could skip across the snow with. It is a cool design. I want to dabble in the nitro side, over the winter I might pick up a couple used nitro motors and rebuild them, toy with them some, maybe do a full build on a simple balsa plane. See where it goes.

If you have a thread for this I would like to follow it, throw me a heads up

Jackson T

Elite member
The workshop is too empty and the bank account is too full... time for that to change, and I drew up a set of plans just to make that happen :)

I previously built a foam prototype of this with a few changes which some of you may have seen but now it's time for the real deal. The small drawing in the upper right is what both airplanes are based on though this one is an almost exact 3x sized version of it (the previous one being 2x and having differences such as slightly reverse swept wings and no T-tail) Balsa and nitro! And with the amount of other projects I have going at the moment, it ought to be float flying season by the time it's done...
Nice! Are you going to do a build thread?

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Nice! Are you going to do a build thread?

Once the wood comes in the mail, maybe.

I want to dabble in the nitro side, over the winter I might pick up a couple used nitro motors and rebuild them, toy with them some, maybe do a full build on a simple balsa plane. See where it goes.

Nitro is a lot more fun than people make it out to be. With the practicality of electric I can see why it's a dying fad these days but people who learn what flying with it is like tend to stay with it (me included, flying more with nitro than electric most of the time...) This plane will only have an .049 since I think that's all it will need given that I've flown larger planes on the same engine but I have a Norvel 061 I could put on it in the unlikely event more power is needed. Maybe add an exhaust throttle too but these little Coxes don't like to idle because no low speed needle and the plug tends to go out. Balsa is nice too as from my experiences it's easier to make planes last much longer with it (and the oily exhaust doesn't tend to eat it up like it does with foam)

speedbirdted

Legendary member
So you have used nitro on a foam plane?
Yes. I built a mini scout powered by a Cox 049 a while ago - it was pretty heavy and went like a ballistic missile. Folded the wing in half on its second flight :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Unfortunately due to the fact that it was kind of a one-day build I don't have hardly any pictures of it, so this will have to suffice for now...

P_20190806_221042_HDR.jpg

I didn't get a whole lot of engine runtime with the engine installed in the plane - I did a little bit of bench running just to see if the fuel system worked and then flew it a couple of times. However due to the fact that these little Coxes have absolutely no exhaust system at all and just tend to spew oil in every direction possible, the paper at the front covering the foam had already wrinkled and peeled off. Next time I build a nitro foamy (don't know when that will be since balsa is so much nicer) I think i'll either cover it in Monokote or maybe just paint since both of those seem pretty adept at keeping exhaust from screwing anything up.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Put that motor into the Mini Sportster, It has a folded wing instead of the under cambered one, the cover the exhaust side with packing tape. That should ROCKET!
Funny you say that, that was my exact idea after the unceremonious aerial disassembly of this plane. But, the engine is going into another project, so that is on hold for the time being.

Hunnert yars agooo, they made mufflers for COX engines. Ran quieter, sort of restricted the oil everywhere syndrome. They are still around but you have to search.
I was going to fit one of those on though they do cause some power loss and plus... it wouldn't fit.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Funny you say that
If I get into the nitro side and have any questions can I bounce them off you? It will be new territory for me and I just don't want to be pegged as a sparky taking the easy way out. I like to know all I can about the hobby and all the levels it has to offer. I think I have the pilot thing down enough now that I can complicate things up a bit and branch out.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
If I get into the nitro side and have any questions can I bounce them off you? It will be new territory for me and I just don't want to be pegged as a sparky taking the easy way out. I like to know all I can about the hobby and all the levels it has to offer. I think I have the pilot thing down enough now that I can complicate things up a bit and branch out.
Sure. There's a lot I don't know though, so keep that in mind.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Your are a couple laps ahead of me so that's good enough. If I get a nitro engine I might start a thread on it just for learning the ins and outs of it, lots of people here still play with nitro so it shouldn't be hard to find info or feedback.

whackflyer

Master member
For now I think I'll go with the cheaper motor that whackflyer suggested, but I will definitely remember that motor if I build one of John Overstreet's BDF jets!
@Mr. Gandalf, I just got my motor today, and it has reverse threads, so you screw the nut on the opposite way. The motor comes with nylock nuts so it's not like your nut is going to come unscrewed. Also make sure that you have adequate spacing between the windings and the end of the screws. Mine were to close on the first run-up and it caused it to run weird. I just put two really thin plastic washers on the screws and it fixed it. Hope this doesn't confuse you! Just trying to help. Good luck!

speedbirdted

Legendary member