Anybody else scratch building tonight?

mdcerdan

Elite member
Well, I decided to end my adventure with the Cubs after building a 4th Cub (the one missing in the picture is my father´s one) It is time to move on and enjoy flying them as much as I enjoyed builing them. The last one is the lighter so in the future I am planing to make it FPV with a DJI AVL58 kit I have lying around.

My next proyect is a Piper Pawnee :)
20210113_095350.jpg
20210113_095512.jpg

mastermalpass

Elite member
Well, I decided to end my adventure with the Cubs after building a 4th Cub (the one missing in the picture is my father´s one) It is time to move on and enjoy flying them as much as I enjoyed builing them. The last one is the lighter so in the future I am planing to make it FPV with a DJI AVL58 kit I have lying around.

My next proyect is a Piper Pawnee :)
View attachment 189096 View attachment 189097

So many cubs, I could call you a Lion. :)

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
okay i can't believe this is true but itis..

i am getting a chainsaw (in parts) Free!!!
and a ryobi bushcutter (the clutch is slipping but otherwise it is practically brand new...free!!!

yayaayay now i can make a 1/4 cub... and a neiuport 17 ..... awesome..........

and all for free

mdcerdan

Elite member
They make great tow planes for gliders, just build it from balsa and fit a nitro or gasser engine (y)

No way I could go back to glow. Here a gallon of glow fuel cost the same as a good 2200mA 3S Lipo battery. Also balsa wood and monokote is stupidly expensive so I am stuck with styrofoam, paper, scrap wood, white glue and cheap electronics. Also I am so cheap I never let more than 20 bucks worth of plane fly in the air.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I beg to differ there young man you can have both, whether the plane is airworthy I can't say and only Buddah himself would know how it handles.
Linking flaps to ailerons is straight forward right, but what happens when you start increasing the angle of incidence of your flaps ? You start to lose your ability to use the ailerons effectively right.
So by splitting your horizontal stabiliser and make it into an elevon, you could in theory impart additional turning via your elevons at the rear. This is theoretical by the way, so hen you have drag from the flaps which will impact the planes nose, the elevons at the rear would also inpart effects purely on the rear of the craft acting I suspect as a sort of roll/pitch of the rear end. This is assuming a V tail not the convensional rudder elevator arrangement.
So its possible and with mixing achievable, but would you want to try it :unsure: probably not as it would be a pain in the Donkey to balance the plane when both systems are activated.

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
I beg to differ there young man you can have both, whether the plane is airworthy I can't say and only Buddah himself would know how it handles.
Linking flaps to ailerons is straight forward right, but what happens when you start increasing the angle of incidence of your flaps ? You start to lose your ability to use the ailerons effectively right.
So by splitting your horizontal stabiliser and make it into an elevon, you could in theory impart additional turning via your elevons at the rear. This is theoretical by the way, so hen you have drag from the flaps which will impact the planes nose, the elevons at the rear would also inpart effects purely on the rear of the craft acting I suspect as a sort of roll/pitch of the rear end. This is assuming a V tail not the convensional rudder elevator arrangement.
So its possible and with mixing achievable, but would you want to try it :unsure: probably not as it would be a pain in the Donkey to balance the plane when both systems are activated.
If you have strictly elavons using them as flaps would just produce maximum down. It would slow you down but not in a good
Way.

mastermalpass

Elite member
can you have flaperons if you have elevons
@mastermalpass @SquirrelTail @Quinnyperks

I'm sure you can have Flaperons AND Elevons, but not Flaperons AS Elevons, if you get what I mean. I think Ian is onto something - Flaps can be lowered to increase the lift on a wing, right? So if you have differential controls on each flap, you have differential lift on each wing = a roll axis control!

My Su-35 V5 is '4x4' roll, meaning it has Elevons as well as traditional Ailerons. It screws like mad on full-right stick! Now, imagine if I could flick a switch and tell those ailerons to drop down like a pair of flaps but keep responding like regular ailerons - that would be the same 4x4 control, but my wings have more lift. The challenge is wiring it all up. I have no idea how you could mix three functions together like that all at once.