Anybody else scratch building tonight?

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Wing secured in place, hinges fitted to all control surfaces and all edges rounded off with an iron on the wing and tail.
Horizontal stabiliser is only temporarily installed, need to design a brace to connect two halves of the elevator.
Rebuilt the power pod following yesterdays confusion regarding the thrust angle, I also rebuilt the canopy as I wasn't happy with the fit of the first attempt.
20210412_002922.jpg 20210412_002936.jpg 20210412_003001.jpg 20210412_003018.jpg
Finishing this project will be a little delayed, I decided to go for 500mm servo extension leads to avoid the mid wing hatch. Unfortunately they are only due next Friday. I am sure there are plenty of other jobs to do in the mean time.
Had another thought, to avoid having to add lock tight on the prop nut, as the prop is going to be rotating CCW. I am planning to fit a prop saver Problem solved (y)

cyclone3350

Master member
Wing secured in place, hinges fitted to all control surfaces and all edges rounded off with an iron on the wing and tail.
Horizontal stabiliser is only temporarily installed, need to design a brace to connect two halves of the elevator.
Rebuilt the power pod following yesterdays confusion regarding the thrust angle, I also rebuilt the canopy as I wasn't happy with the fit of the first attempt.
View attachment 197793 View attachment 197794 View attachment 197795 View attachment 197796
Finishing this project will be a little delayed, I decided to go for 500mm servo extension leads to avoid the mid wing hatch. Unfortunately they are only due next Friday. I am sure there are plenty of other jobs to do in the mean time.
Had another thought, to avoid having to add lock tight on the prop nut, as the prop is going to be rotating CCW. I am planning to fit a prop saver Problem solved (y)

Ian, U just gave me an awesome Idea. I luv what U did to the Otter. While looking at it, I light bulb just went off. I have this chuck glider that I just bought and was wondering what to do to power it. A 64mm EDF mounted on top. I was going to put it off for awhile, but now I think I can do this one quick. Thanks!

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Having a night off from building, I was working on the Otter this afternoon so fancied a break.
Made up 4 plywood control horns, time consuming job using a Dremel multi tool :(. Finished the firewall and mounted it onto the pod, used reinforced tape to hold it in place with hot glue, just to make sure.
Realised I had forgot to mount the vertical stabiliser servo with an extension lead before I mounted the stabiliser on the plane, so that's going to be a testicle ache feeding the cable through later.
Feels like the Otter projects on hold now, I am basically waiting for the extra long servo cables to arrive and they are only due Friday. In the mean time thinking of building another Tiny trainer this week. Not decided yet how its going to look as I am planning to modify/upgrade it a little :devilish:.

Having a night off from building, I was working on the Otter this afternoon so fancied a break.
Made up 4 plywood control horns, time consuming job using a Dremel multi tool :(. Finished the firewall and mounted it onto the pod, used reinforced tape to hold it in place with hot glue, just to make sure.
Realised I had forgot to mount the vertical stabiliser servo with an extension lead before I mounted the stabiliser on the plane, so that's going to be a testicle ache feeding the cable through later.
Feels like the Otter projects on hold now, I am basically waiting for the extra long servo cables to arrive and they are only due Friday. In the mean time thinking of building another Tiny trainer this week. Not decided yet how its going to look as I am planning to modify/upgrade it a little :devilish:.
Have you tried using credit cards for control horns? You can get blank white ones on Amazon for a couple bucks.

Ok so I'm building this F-5 Tiger. Question about thrust angle.
With the props mounted directly behind the wings like this:
Screenshot 2021-04-12 155942.png

With all the combined experience here, who thinks they know if I need a little up or down thrust angle?
I can adjust with elevator or shim the motors as required, but it's nice if I can predict a little in advance so I don't crash as hard(!). Thanks.

KubKade

Ian, U just gave me an awesome Idea. I luv what U did to the Otter. While looking at it, I light bulb just went off. I have this chuck glider that I just bought and was wondering what to do to power it. A 64mm EDF mounted on top. I was going to put it off for awhile, but now I think I can do this one quick. Thanks!

Oh sorry about that light bulb that burnt out just as you got a bright idea.