Anybody else scratch building tonight?

Jade_Monkey07

Awesome, what power set up are you running? Is that just DTFB delaminated and glued together?
It's a 1206 6000kv on 2s pushing a 5 inch prop. I've got 250 450 and 660mah packs to choose from. Battery bay is directly over the cg so I can swap between them. I'll probably maiden it on the 250 just to test. And yeah it's just dtfb peeled and gorilla glued together to save weight over hot glue. Some bbq skewers and 1/32 plywood spars in the main wing and tail. Control surfaces are all halved bbq skewers back to back with tape, so they roll real nice and adds strength.

SSgt Duramax

It's a 1206 6000kv on 2s pushing a 5 inch prop. I've got 250 450 and 660mah packs to choose from. Battery bay is directly over the cg so I can swap between them. I'll probably maiden it on the 250 just to test. And yeah it's just dtfb peeled and gorilla glued together to save weight over hot glue. Some bbq skewers and 1/32 plywood spars in the main wing and tail. Control surfaces are all halved bbq skewers back to back with tape, so they roll real nice and adds strength.
Awesome! That looks great. I was thinking of doing something similar to yours with EPS. I have a spare 1306 motor from where I upgraded my micro kadet to a 1407 and 5 300 MAH 2s batteries (man those things are cheap, if it wasn't for servos, tiny planes would be cheap). The little micros can handle wind better than you think. My 5oz micro sig can fly in gusts up to 10 mph (sustained winds lower of course). It can technically do more, but it is no fun. I like all your ideas though.

On a side note, that little guy was not happy with a 5x4 prop, so best to stick with a 5x3. (That is running 2S, I am sure 1s would have been fine).

Jade_Monkey07

A few more pics for the curious. Scale compared my umx sky angel sabre.
20220121_172017.jpg
20211217_171706.jpg
20211213_153435.jpg
20211216_154730.jpg

Jade_Monkey07

Awesome! That looks great. I was thinking of doing something similar to yours with EPS. I have a spare 1306 motor from where I upgraded my micro kadet to a 1407 and 5 300 MAH 2s batteries (man those things are cheap, if it wasn't for servos, tiny planes would be cheap). The little micros can handle wind better than you think. My 5oz micro sig can fly in gusts up to 10 mph (sustained winds lower of course). It can technically do more, but it is no fun. I like all your ideas though.

On a side note, that little guy was not happy with a 5x4 prop, so best to stick with a 5x3. (That is running 2S, I am sure 1s would have been fine).
I've used this setup on one of the 48cm bang good gliders and it flew great, we will see how the mustang handles all that torque though. Ive got quite a bit of right and down thrust built in. Might actually be too much, we'll see. I love playing with these small planes in the wind. It can be so much fun surfing the breeze with them. The BG glider was the best, but my me163 is great at it too.

Jade_Monkey07

Steal away, theres a bunch of plans for this style on rcgroups. The mustang just lends itself well to being built like this. Being a generally thin body. I did modify the build to get more width, a proper airfoil and an air channel from the nose scoop all the way out back and shrink it of course.
Under the scratch build foamies section I found it in the 600+plans post about half way through

chris398mx

Master member
I hope mine comes out 1/2 as nice. Beautiful. Keep us updated. I've sized mine to specifically fit into my VW CC without disassembly. Does that one come apart in anyway?
Yes the outer wings come off just past the nacelles, so the center section of the wing stays with the plane and the outer sections come off.

Brian B

Elite member
Yes the outer wings come off just past the nacelles, so the center section of the wing stays with the plane and the outer sections come off.
I followed the first few pages I could find using that link, thanks, but scanning thru later pages I could not see anything on maiden flights, sufficient power, CG location, tip stall characteristics, other learnings? How did it fly? For now I'm doing fixed landing gear, but was considering trying my 1st retracts after maiden.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Ok That is absolutely beautiful 😍😍.
I really need to build one... First I must build another ft simple spitfire...
Micro p-51 update View attachment 216415

Finally got everything sanded to shape and finished. All the electronics installed and tested View attachment 216398 View attachment 216399 View attachment 216403
Just have to wait for a rare nice and non windy day to maiden her.
View attachment 216401
Lots of coloring to do still
View attachment 216406

chris398mx

Master member
I followed the first few pages I could find using that link, thanks, but scanning thru later pages I could not see anything on maiden flights, sufficient power, CG location, tip stall characteristics, other learnings? How did it fly? For now I'm doing fixed landing gear, but was considering trying my 1st retracts after maiden.

It had plenty of power with 2 c-pack motors and 10x45 props. I had the CG at about the main spar on the center part of the wing (thickest part). This was too far back and it was tail heavy. I fought it for about a minute before I crashed it. I put it back together at the field and moved the battery as far forward as I could and added weight (just what i could find in my box at the field.) I tried to fly it again and it was still tail heavy and I crashed it again. I haven't tried to do anything with it since then.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Didn't know you crashed your first one. You need to build a P-40 next.
sorry 3 friends of mine want to see a spitfire:ROFLMAO:.... ill build the p-40 later...
but i didnt crash mine... it was my 2nd plane to ever build and it wasn't built well at all..... its actually junk.....
ooooh wait a junk plane...

Brian B

Elite member
It had plenty of power with 2 c-pack motors and 10x45 props. I had the CG at about the main spar on the center part of the wing (thickest part). This was too far back and it was tail heavy. I fought it for about a minute before I crashed it. I put it back together at the field and moved the battery as far forward as I could and added weight (just what i could find in my box at the field.) I tried to fly it again and it was still tail heavy and I crashed it again. I haven't tried to do anything with it since then.
Thanks for the update. Don't give up. Maybe use an old trick from the free flight guys, and convert the stabilizer to a flat-bottomed lifting airfoil. Not the same as adding down-elevator. Move CG forward also, but before you make it too heavy, consider this.

Check out this old bit of info, starting on page 6. Potential downside might be a need to mix throttle and elevator when trimming, since Free Flight planes usually are designed for a narrow speed range "duration glide".

https://ia601905.us.archive.org/20/...construction-textbooks/1953_Zaic_Yearbook.pdf

I'll start off mine by making the tail is light as possible. Good luck.

Jade_Monkey07

Woa.... Wait a min.... Are you saying that that mustang is made from stacked foam ... The first part cannot be the other pics.... It's impossible... How!!!!!
Haha I assure you it is the same. Lots and lots of sanding. You can still see the layer lines.
Its far from perfect but I'm super happy with the final product. Now let's just hope it flies first try lol.

Heres the finished product
20220123_230550.jpg

20220123_230616.jpg
20220123_230559.jpg