Anybody else scratch building tonight?

Timmy

Legendary member
Dry fit of @SquirrelTail 's Ripper
P1160103.JPG

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Not my cup of tea but it looks interesting. I'd love to see a flight video though. Does the control work like the real thing? Tilting the the wing? Or will you do elevons?
na, i dont have a 3d printer... so i'll just be using elevons... basically a flying wing with a very low line of thrust:ROFLMAO:
and a cabin... cockpit looking forward to seeing it fly though.... 3000sq cm of wing, and it'll weigh about 600 grams.... should really glide...

Jade_Monkey07

na, i dont have a 3d printer... so i'll just be using elevons... basically a flying wing with a very low line of thrust:ROFLMAO:
and a cabin... cockpit looking forward to seeing it fly though.... 3000sq cm of wing, and it'll weigh about 600 grams.... should really glide...
You could make a pivot point with balsa pieces. a u-joint would allow side to side tilting and front to back without twisting tortionally. Make a bar come down like the real thing and attatch the servos there.

what CAD program are you using?
To be clear, I'm not working with any "Master Series" builds or designs. Working with the basic boxy shapes I'm using, Autocad is great. If I wanted to work more on the MS side of things I'd be using Sketchup, because that's what I'm familiar with. Sketchup is great for 3D work but some others are using other good programs as well.

Taildragger

Legendary member
To be clear, I'm not working with any "Master Series" builds or designs. Working with the basic boxy shapes I'm using, Autocad is great. If I wanted to work more on the MS side of things I'd be using Sketchup, because that's what I'm familiar with. Sketchup is great for 3D work but some others are using other good programs as well.
well said
for boxy designs I like usiong fusion cause I'm used to it and I can go from design to plans in about 10min

Timmy

Legendary member
your making it a prop plane right
what motor are you using?
Ya it was meant to be EDF but I'm putting an F pack motor on it. I think its an 1806 2280kv motor, probably gonna go with my 850 mah 3 cell and I thinking of going with 5g servos instead of 9g.
P1160109.JPG

Also if anyone could provide any insight into what thrust angle I could use that would be great. For now I have the standard thrust angle from the mini power pod. But I'm thinking of angling the motor up a bit, like the FT explorer.

Ya it was meant to be EDF but I'm putting an F pack motor on it. I think its an 1806 2280kv motor, probably gonna go with my 850 mah 3 cell and I thinking of going with 5g servos instead of 9g.
View attachment 217108
Also if anyone could provide any insight into what thrust angle I could use that would be great. For now I have the standard thrust angle from the mini power pod. But I'm thinking of angling the motor up a bit, like the FT explorer.
Thrust angle: I don't know what "standard" is but maybe you have it level (zero degrees). I definitely think you want some down angle from what I'm seeing. I wouldn't know how much - if I had to guess I might start at something like 3 degrees down? Figuring I'd need to shim this one before it's all over. Any other guesses out there?