Anybody else scratch building tonight?

cyclone3350

Master member
Thanks my friend. I have a question for you. I am experimenting with film, trying to shave weight from builds and give it that vinyl finished look. I am going to call my first attempt a success/failure. I have no idea what brand the film is, it was a freebie from Banggood and was for the Dancing Wings Savage Bobber. I used a regular iron, the tip of it for the most part and probably not the right tool for the job LOL, so there are two problems which contribute to the failure aspect of everything. Here is a pic to show what I mean. Maybe you can't use film on foambaord? Although I have seen it done . Any insight, tips you could share? I seem to be melting the foamboard.

View attachment 227405 View attachment 227406

I like what @L Edge had to say. TBH, I haven't had much luck with film directly over foam other than using EconKote. Unfortunately, that stuff is discontinued. There R folks on other forums that swear by Ultracote for foam. I was gonna give that a try on the BD5 before fixing up the house and packing took over my life. I found and example here: https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/3772295-new-6mm-depron-bd5-ultracote.html I've found that foamboard starts to distort somewhere around 230'F/110'C. Ultracote supposedly will go on just under that temp. Can't wait to see 'er done. Looking too cool for school to me :cool:

Rhinopilot

20220515_133744.jpg

RossFPV

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
how do you mount the motor and other electronics? Looks like it could be a problem later.
Bottom of plane is still open to install tail servos, wing servos are already installed , Motor and its mount get installed to the front of the first fuse former that you see there and then the front of the cowl gets put on after that. Zero issues. Wing is removable so no problem accessing the receiver or ESC.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Working on a CL-415 now that school is finally over
View attachment 227994
What do yall use to finish the pink foam? I'm thinking of using drywall compound or maybe some tape.
I usually paint it the color it needs to be with acrylic paint and then seal that with slightly diluted wood glue. I normally will sand and repeat after it sits for 24 hours. Actually doing that on my Cherokee right now. Nice plane choice.(y)(y)

Timmy

Legendary member
I usually paint it the color it needs to be with acrylic paint and then seal that with slightly diluted wood glue. I normally will sand and repeat after it sits for 24 hours. Actually doing that on my Cherokee right now. Nice plane choice.(y)(y)
Thank you very much, I will try that. :D