Anybody else scratch building tonight?

The Fopster

Master member
I built a super simple depron racer with kfm wing. Flew amazingly well off a drone motor and a 1300 3s - quite fast not not intimidating, and it slows down nicely to land (RTF weight is 320g).
Long story short - I’m building another one for a club mate to house his old racing wing motor and esc - and these things weigh a ton! It’ll be 500g RTF with a 2200 3 cell (650mm wingspan). Suspect this will fly like a brick!
A240F208-A229-49A9-89D7-02D4B0E86FB8.jpeg
B0729DAC-1CC2-4301-8C16-8620F80A0756.jpeg

luvmy40

Elite member
I'm cutting the parts for another Beech Stagger Wing tonight. I might get to start the build this weekend, but I won't get to finish for a few weeks. I'm waiting for my Ender 5 S1 to arrive to print the cowl and struts.

mastermalpass

Elite member
Finally made a start on the Albatross. Figured I'd go for a more scrathbuild approach and worry less about plans. Modified the core design to accept double the original formers, which should make forming the skin easier and I cut out all the formers this evening.

Screenshot_20221126-225711_Gallery.jpg

The next step is to make 'spacers' to stick the formers to in pairs - one former on each end of a length of foam, each length of foam relative to how far apart these formers will sit on the core. Then I'll use the 'rollation method' with the former pairs, to draw out the skin shapes. After that, it'll be rolling the skins and test fitting to see if I've got the formers right.

Shurik-1960

For 1 hour a week and for 4 days, the glider is almost assembled.The project is stopped.I am waiting for a package with servomechanisms, a motor and a controller from China.

Attachments

• DSC00021.JPG
    DSC00021.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00022.JPG
    DSC00022.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00023.JPG
    DSC00023.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00024.JPG
    DSC00024.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00025.JPG
    DSC00025.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00026.JPG
    DSC00026.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00027.JPG
    DSC00027.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00028.JPG
    DSC00028.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Inq

Elite member
Day 2 - Coated with Polyurethane. Ready for power-pod. After it dries for 24 hours, it may go flying or get painted depending on weather. I chose a wide track and big wheels. I fly on a very nicely manicured grass runway (they use a golf course green mower). Even so, 2" wheels will more often than not (at least that's my luck) dig in and nose plant. I'm hoping these will get the job done so I can practice touch and goes.

I'm probably got 10 hours in it now... How in the world does Josh build and fly these planes in a little over an hour? He must be a machine! ;)

Day 2-2 Small.jpg

Last edited:

RossFPV

Day 2 - Coated with Polyurethane. Ready for power-pod. After it dries for 24 hours, it may go flying or get painted depending on weather. I chose a wide track and big wheels. I fly on a very nicely manicured grass runway (they use a golf course green mower). Even so, 2" wheels will more often than not (at least that's my luck) dig in and nose plant. I'm hoping these will get the job done so I can practice touch and goes.

I'm probably got 10 hours in it now... How in the world does Josh build and fly these planes in a little over an hour? He must be a machine! ;)

View attachment 232546
I might need to build a storch in the spring, not sure about were you live but winter is just starting here! I take my time building planes and it can take a long time but i enjoy building almost as much as flying so it feels like the plane is done fast.

Inq

Elite member
I might need to build a storch in the spring, not sure about were you live but winter is just starting here! I take my time building planes and it can take a long time but i enjoy building almost as much as flying so it feels like the plane is done fast.

It seemed like a more interesting trainer. I wanted something bigger, slower and with wheels. Watching the videos, it sounds like it can be a good flyer even for experienced people, doing inverted, knife-edges, etc. Also liked the idea that it can carry some weight. I might want to experiment carrying other equipment... electronics, lights, etc. Not that I'm near that point... I'll be happy just to keep from plowing with it on the first couple of flights.

See you're in Pennsylvania. Here in North Carolina, weather has been rather abnormal this year. Already been down in the 20's, but today, in the 70s. Although, we don't see anywhere near your temperature, we have thinner blood down here. I'll only go flying if its in the 50's or better and only if cloudless and sun warming. ;) Can you say... Wuss!

mastermalpass

Elite member
Did more on the Albatross this eve. Measured out some lengths of foam to work as spacers and stuck the formers to them.

Screenshot_20221127-214129_Gallery.jpg

Before making skin plans, I taped the former pairs together, to double-check that the spacing lines up with the plans as well as get an idea of the overall shape they will form and see if it's going the way I want. Already, it's looking like it'll flow nicely.
Screenshot_20221127-214131_Gallery.jpg

With that looking good, I detached the pairs and used the Rollation Method to produce skin templates.

Screenshot_20221127-214136_Gallery.jpg

The Fopster

Master member
Did more on the Albatross this eve. Measured out some lengths of foam to work as spacers and stuck the formers to them.

View attachment 232547

Before making skin plans, I taped the former pairs together, to double-check that the spacing lines up with the plans as well as get an idea of the overall shape they will form and see if it's going the way I want. Already, it's looking like it'll flow nicely.
View attachment 232548

With that looking good, I detached the pairs and used the Rollation Method to produce skin templates.

View attachment 232549
I did not know about the rollation method. That’s useful!

MaxTheFliteFreak

View attachment 232546
Josh does it for a living, so he almost has to be.

MaxTheFliteFreak

I just discovered this simple and easy way of centering servos. Instead of popsicle sticks on either side of the hinge keeping it straight, ypu can use these little clips at each end as I have shown to keep it centered. Not sure if somebody has already come up with this method, but either way it simplifies the process. This isn't exactly a scratch build, and is more of a tip, but it was used ON a scratch build and I figured that sharing this here would be the best place, since everyone here is a scratch builder.

Haply flying!
20221128_184000.jpg

Tench745

Master member
I just discovered this simple and easy way of centering servos. Instead of popsicle sticks on either side of the hinge keeping it straight, ypu can use these little clips at each end as I have shown to keep it centered. Not sure if somebody has already come up with this method, but either way it simplifies the process. This isn't exactly a scratch build, and is more of a tip, but it was used ON a scratch build and I figured that sharing this here would be the best place, since everyone here is a scratch builder.

Haply flying! View attachment 232574
I have done this with spring clamps like you're using, but I'll usually put a popsicle stick under the clamp anyway to help spread the load and keep the clamp from denting the foam.

m0t0rhead

@MiniacRC's P-40 with @Rasterize's SAAF livery made over the past few weeks, ready for crashing!!!
You might like this rework for the canopy - I've tried to blend it to match the raster rear window lines better as well as forming better at the front. Might require a rescale as I built it in 5mm foam board. Also I cut out the frame and used laminating film to form a "clear" canopy.
The picture also shows where to cut forward of the frame then trim as required for better fit.

IMG_20221130_235159.jpg

Attachments

• newest canopy green p40.svg
    44.1 KB · Views: 0

mastermalpass

Elite member

Haply flying! View attachment 232574

I find Bulldog clips are good. You just need to make sure you get ones big enough to slip a piece of foam on each side of whatever you're clamping.

mastermalpass

Elite member
Been chipping away at the Albatross this week. I transferred more plans to foamboard.

Screenshot_20221210-231403_Gallery.jpg

And over a few lunch breaks have cut all of these shapes out. Turns out I didn't take a pic of them though. Tonight, I took the formers off their 'rollation' spacers, cut their slot holes out and test fit them on the core plate. Everything looks good so I have most of the core assembled with epoxy curing.

Screenshot_20221210-231420_Gallery.jpg

Before the skins go on, I have to figure out how I'm gonna mount the wings and the tail. The cabane struts need to connect to this core and I also want to make the wings removable, which will likely demand a bit of plywood, as well as cutting out a portion of the skin to go underneath the wing.