Anybody else scratch building tonight?

shadeyB

Legendary member
Ah, I see. Am I right in thinking you've made an Su-27 before? One like this, I mean, not an RCPowers Su-27 V5.
Ah, I see. Am I right in thinking you've made an Su-27 before? One like this, I mean, not an RCPowers Su-27 V5.
yes both pal , the RC powers ones were awesome v4 & v5
I’ve build the su34 twin pusher / twin 70 / twin 80
SU 30 twin pusher
SU 37 twin pusher
Now I’m doing SU 27 twin 64 😍
E3D06E79-64B5-48C2-9D8D-2F4984158E11.jpeg
68C3D222-2666-473A-966F-40693E8447E2.jpeg

Inq

Elite member
After a pretty long break from planes, I started a new project.
View attachment 234017

NICE! :cool:

I keep toying with designing/building a powered sailplane. Could you share any details about your project? I'm curious...
  • I'm taking a wild guess, from the size of the objects... about 4-5 feet wingspan?
  • What size motor are you planning on using?
  • Are you using the normal size electronics receiver/ 9g type servos or are you using those micro receivers with the integrated linear servos?
  • Do you use Gyro stabilization?
  • I see your folding prop, but couldn't find one that looked like that on Amazon, etc. Do you have a link?

Timmy

Legendary member
I guess it's aiming more to be an efficient all-rounder moreso than a glider?
yea pretty much. Thats why I have such big ailerons, I want it to be also somewhat manoeuvrable and sporty. Gliders do like thin wing chords though but I can't really do that because then my wing would have to be very thin and I would loose room for servos and spars and stuff due to the fold-over technique. I could do it but I wanna keep it simple ;)

Last edited:

Timmy

Legendary member
NICE! :cool:

I keep toying with designing/building a powered sailplane. Could you share any details about your project? I'm curious...
  • I'm taking a wild guess, from the size of the objects... about 4-5 feet wingspan?
  • What size motor are you planning on using?
  • Are you using the normal size electronics receiver/ 9g type servos or are you using those micro receivers with the integrated linear servos?
  • Do you use Gyro stabilization?
  • I see your folding prop, but couldn't find one that looked like that on Amazon, etc. Do you have a link?
  • 1.5m wingspan = 5ft
  • Power pack C 2212 1000kv with a 10" folding prop
  • 9g servos with regular 8ch receiver (not that I need that many channels)
  • No stabalization but I would like to use this as a platform to learn some arduino and possibly make my own stabalizer
  • I do not have a link sorry. It was given to me by a friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inq

mastermalpass

Elite member
BipePipe needed work after cartwheeling this afternoon.

- Vertical stabiliser + elevator snapped clean off from port side.
- All four cabane struts detached from fuselage.
- Major crack near Port base wing root.
- detached port landing gear and bent out of shape...

Nothing four lolly sticks, half a stick of hot glue, one piece of tape and some bending won't fix! Plus the whole horizontal stab is much more firm now, I wonder if that will stabilise the pitch axis in gusts! 😃

Screenshot_20230122_200804_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230122_200809_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Yankee2003

Nothing four lolly sticks, half a stick of hot glue, one piece of tape and some bending won't fix! Plus the whole vertical stab is much more firm now, I wonder if that will stabilise the pitch axis in gusts! 😃

View attachment 234039
View attachment 234040

I love this.
We all tend to obsess over weight when we are building, but then are happy to “reinforce” our repairs in very…..ah…robust fashion.
And more times than not they fly really good after the repairs are done.
🤔..Maybe that is the wisdom of building light in the first place? Built in leeway for future repairs. Either way I like your post crash engineering.
Keep ‘‘em flying!

Inq

Elite member
Have been having lots of trouble with the Storch. Its just way too touchy in the roll. It's probably because I got all stupid and thought I could handle the full span flaperon version of the plane. I admit defeat and cut the full length at the standard flap position and 3D printed a clip that will hold the flap in its static position.

PXL_20230124_030102903.jpg

At the moment, it looks like I might get to fly tomorrow! :)

Also, I printed a new site for the CapPod and hope to get more practice flying and videoing the flying at the same time.

PXL_20230124_031120757.jpg

Yankee2003

Have been having lots of trouble with the Storch. Its just way too touchy in the roll. It's probably because I got all stupid and thought I could handle the full span flaperon version of the plane. I admit defeat and cut the full length at the standard flap position and 3D printed a clip that will hold the flap in its static position.

View attachment 234059

At the moment, it looks like I might get to fly tomorrow! :)

Also, I printed a new site for the CapPod and hope to get more practice flying and videoing the flying at the same time.

View attachment 234060
Tennessee National Champions……1998….you are diehard my friend. Patient and full of hope. I have a feeling full length Ailerons are not that far in your future. Success is closer than the next National Championship……

Inq

Elite member
Tennessee National Champions……1998….you are diehard my friend. Patient and full of hope. I have a feeling full length Ailerons are not that far in your future. Success is closer than the next National Championship……

:ROFLMAO: Loyalty is about wearing the colors and talking trash even in down years. It was tough working in Atlanta for twenty some-odd years. Although where I worked had nothing but Georgia Tech alum. Honey bees are my friends. Bulldogs weren't good enough to pee on the front shrubbery there! Fortunately, I now live near Tennessee in the home of Heath Shuler. Although there are way too many Gators for my liking. :ROFLMAO: Taste like chicken though.

MaxTheFliteFreak

Nothing four lolly sticks, half a stick of hot glue, one piece of tape and some bending won't fix! Plus the whole horizontal stab is much more firm now, I wonder if that will stabilise the pitch axis in gusts! 😃

View attachment 234039
View attachment 234040
Viva la PipeBipe!