Anybody else scratch building tonight?

Off-topic jes

Elite member
Well, now that I’m home and able to build my electronics arrived here’s how they look. I’ll be posting the video soon hopefully
D48D901C-CACC-4453-AC22-C3AE27FB0503.jpeg
8600B80F-231A-47E7-9C8E-EC3F6D8DB26C.jpeg
A00368D7-F130-4EB4-9BE2-425C5B5A0B21.jpeg

mastermalpass

Elite member
Hey @shadeyB where do you get your Depron? I seem to have to look in a hundred places whenever I want to restock. Had a look on Jetworks online but their sold out of the white sheets.

I finally found a source on an Essex based site called the Balsa cabin. The weird part is you order it without entering payment details then they say they'll contact you to sort payment. So I'm half ready to be told it's out of stock afterall.

Off-topic jes

Elite member
Its done!
View attachment 234449
Banana (for scale)
View attachment 234450
I thinking of putting a nose cone on the prop but I'll do that after I see if it flies 🤞

It actually balances so well with the long nose. Its nice with my 4s 2200 but I'm thinking of making a high capacity li-ion battery for even longer flight times.
Cookie

Attachments

• 01FBEF1F-A052-4A50-8D74-8EF396A2C49D.jpeg
    01FBEF1F-A052-4A50-8D74-8EF396A2C49D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

mcmoyer

cut and glued the last pieces tonight. Really excited about this iteration. It's got a 2 inch bigger wingspan than my Freewing F-16 and it's 90 grams lighter. I reinforced the battery tray this time around so a rough landing won't kill the battery tray :)

This is such a gorgeous design by John Overstreet.

Attachments

• IMG_4118.jpeg
    IMG_4118.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4119.jpeg
    IMG_4119.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0

mastermalpass

Elite member
Not building so much as designing plans today. But, I have finally acquired a tool I really took for granted when I was living my parent's house:

Screenshot_20230204_132606_Gallery.jpg

Most hobbyists are excited about 3D printers rather than 2D printers. You wouldn't think such basic office equipment could be such a milestone, but this changes everything for me! 😃

Timmy

Legendary member
cut and glued the last pieces tonight. Really excited about this iteration. It's got a 2 inch bigger wingspan than my Freewing F-16 and it's 90 grams lighter. I reinforced the battery tray this time around so a rough landing won't kill the battery tray :)

This is such a gorgeous design by John Overstreet.
That looks epic!

Inq

Elite member
Talking about 2D printers... I was thinking about doing a skin... and I'm wondering...

How long does a typical ink-jet cartridge last when printing out 8 pages of mostly full color images? Somehow, I wonder if it could do much more than one or two planes and at $50+ a cartridge. Anybody have a feel... say doing the Red Baron skin on the FT MM DR1?

MaxTheFliteFreak

Talking about 2D printers... I was thinking about doing a skin... and I'm wondering...

How long does a typical ink-jet cartridge last when printing out 8 pages of mostly full color images? Somehow, I wonder if it could do much more than one or two planes and at $50+ a cartridge. Anybody have a feel... say doing the Red Baron skin on the FT MM DR1?
Nice idea, but it would probably be quite heavy...

Inq

Elite member
Nice idea, but it would probably be quite heavy...

That is what all these skins are for that are available on this forum. Check in the Resources. I watched a video on it and they take off the DTFB paper on one side and REPLACE with the printed skin. It even suggested using the better grade 24# paper and using 3M 77 spray glue. It probably doesn't add any significant weight... certainly less than putting poly and painting! That adds a lot of weight!

mastermalpass

Elite member

Inkjets really don't last when filling pages with one colour. A full cart might make 8? I'm not sure. A laserjet could manage easily, but they cost a bomb. I think you'd save a lot of money by simply buying paper that comes in the colour you want your plane to be.

Inq

Elite member
Inkjets really don't last when filling pages with one colour.

Exactly, why my question to people that have done it. It sounds like you might not know what I'm talking about... Can't do these with colored paper or with paint (at least not me). Wondering would you have anything left after doing the Spitfire or Fokker DR-1.

F-18 Super Hornet - This is more like decals - https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...f-18-super-hornet-decal-placement-sheets.318/

Spitfire - Note panels seems and lettering, and camo blending instead of sharp lines between.
257860_de2d55ec13d427eaaa6f64963a7af531.jpg

FT MM DR-1 Triplane -
192831_b34b669e644081ed5f19995b777c0806.png

194151_26e3fa55e374602742c2f6099b304c37.jpg

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
That is what all these skins are for that are available on this forum. Check in the Resources. I watched a video on it and they take off the DTFB paper on one side and REPLACE with the printed skin. It even suggested using the better grade 24# paper and using 3M 77 spray glue. It probably doesn't add any significant weight... certainly less than putting poly and painting! That adds a lot of weight!
I printed the top of the top wing and top & bottom of the H stab. on this DR1 and full skins for an SE5 in light yellow and that drained my yellow cartridge.

353470_572ec23e24d7ffcfc5a5b67e895b3875.jpg 343175_1d15880742b0d70eff1a015e18092210.jpg

Inq

Elite member
I printed the top of the top wing and top & bottom of the H stab. on this DR1 and full skins for an SE5 in light yellow and that drained my yellow cartridge.

View attachment 234488 View attachment 234489

Thank you... that was the confirmation that I was expecting, but didn't know. I've never had good luck with InkJets. I buy one... use ten sheets out of it and when I go to use it next time, it's all dried up. :oops:

I switched to a Laser, but I don't want to use toner in those rates either! :confused:

I think I heard/read that copy shops like Kinkos can do them... and even if its $5/page it sounds like a better deal than on my own printer at $100+ for a toner color.