Anybody in the Inland Empire of So Cal?

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I find that invasion stripes can help on light colored wings. For a quad I'd just paint it darker, see if that helps.

LOL the quad wasn't an issue; I was flying that through FPV. It was just getting blown around by the wind, and for something that weighs in at 3.5g, I'm not surprised it had issues. :)

As for the Nano Goblin, I'm already thinking of some tape or vinyl decals on the wings to make it stand out a little more. My wife has a Cricut machine, so I may be making something to slap on there and make it more visible in the very near future.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
LOL the quad wasn't an issue; I was flying that through FPV. It was just getting blown around by the wind, and for something that weighs in at 3.5g, I'm not surprised it had issues. :)

As for the Nano Goblin, I'm already thinking of some tape or vinyl decals on the wings to make it stand out a little more. My wife has a Cricut machine, so I may be making something to slap on there and make it more visible in the very near future.
For whatever reason I hard a brain fart and thought the goblin was a quad

seerekim

Greetings Flite Test Fans!
Anyone in the Inland Empire of So Cal? I was thinking it would be cool to have a meet up out here, since we have such nice weather during the winter...
Any one game?
Always up for flying - I'm in Perris CA. Decided on any hard dates?

Is there anywhere to slope there or should I bring a DLG?

I cannot speak authoritatively since I have only flown here once, but El Dorado Park in Long Beach has a good Electric/Glider Field. It's not really a slope flying field, but there is a hill on the field which probably gives some okay updrafts. I think there might be a slope field in Torrey Pines in San Diego by the glider airport, someone down there might be able to confirm this.

I am actually curious if anyone knows of a city owned campground in the desert that is not part of state or federal lands which we could try to setup a spring campout we so we can camp and fly. I figure the desert would be nice in the winter/spring since there is less of a tree factor. The hard part is finding a location.

UPDATE:

I just discovered that campgrounds which are managed by the Bureau of Land Management allow UAS activity... but getting permission from the park rangers is probably a good idea, as well as making sure to not disturb other campers. I found a good blog post on this very subject. [1]

I will look around and see if I can find some possible candidate campgrounds, and try to contact a few park rangers to how they would feel about a bunch of people showing up for a weekend with a bunch of RC planes and drones. If anyone is interested in this or helping figure some of this out, please let me know.

[1] https://fstoppers.com/aerial/making-heads-or-tails-flying-drone-over-us-public-lands-226124

Last edited:
I have am in working with some people from BLM, and they have been very helpful. There Corn Springs Campground was brought to my attention, but there are some logistics issue which we are trying to sort out.

They have indicated that a permit would not be required for 10-20 people (perhaps I am overly hopeful, but if account for a couple families makes sense), but "a Letter of Authorization would be appropriate." Something else to note is the campground is surrounded by the Chuckwalla Mountains Wilderness, which does not allow UAS activity. The final issue, which seems to be common for most if not all BLM managed sites is the only access roads appear to be dirt roads.

Nevertheless, if anyone is interested I am very interested in trying to put something together.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
This thread hasn't really been active as of late but I do have a question for y'all- are there any other glider pilots in SoCal? I'm a slope soarer myself, I live right down the street from Temple Hill and there's another slope I like at La Sierra trailhead.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
This thread hasn't really been active as of late but I do have a question for y'all- are there any other glider pilots in SoCal? I'm a slope soarer myself, I live right down the street from Temple Hill and there's another slope I like at La Sierra trailhead.

There's actually quite a few slope soarers out here. I missed that someone had posted about Torrey Pines Glider Port; it WAS open but has been closed indefinitely due to coronavirus. Torrey Pines Gulls run that site; I fully expect it to reopen once the virus calms down and we can venture out from our homes for gatherings again.

There are several that fly at Dave's Beach on Wednesday afternoons, which is directly across the street from the Hilton Garden Inn in Carlsbad; however, I understand that is getting scrutinized currently by law enforcement, as people are parking in the parking lots at the beach to gather and ignore the current "shelter in place" restrictions. I don't know if they're going to chase anyone away or fine them, but be aware that if there's a group of people there, you'll definitely want to social distance.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Hey So.Cal guys, I’ve got an opportunity for ya...
I need to make room in the hangar, and can’t yet bring myself to dismantle the Hustler, so I want to know: is anyone interested in it? I don’t want to talk details here in the thread, so if you’re interested PM me. :D

Hoomi

Master member
Hey So.Cal guys, I’ve got an opportunity for ya...
I need to make room in the hangar, and can’t yet bring myself to dismantle the Hustler, so I want to know: is anyone interested in it? I don’t want to talk details here in the thread, so if you’re interested PM me. :D
I hope it's found a good home!