Anybody in the Inland Empire of So Cal?

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
That would work for me...as long as I get to do some flying!

Shouldn't be a problem if you're an AMA member - the landowner and club require it. We'd also have to put you through a quick check to demonstrate you can fly safely, but that's pretty quick if you've flown a bit before. :) It's mostly just for safety checks, verifying you know where NOT to fly (don't fly over the parking lot, don't fly over the freeway, don't fly over people, don't fly so far away you can't see your model, etc.), and that you understand the rules of our field.

herbertjalarcon

Elite member
Shouldn't be a problem if you're an AMA member - the landowner and club require it. We'd also have to put you through a quick check to demonstrate you can fly safely, but that's pretty quick if you've flown a bit before. :) It's mostly just for safety checks, verifying you know where NOT to fly (don't fly over the parking lot, don't fly over the freeway, don't fly over people, don't fly so far away you can't see your model, etc.), and that you understand the rules of our field.
Sweet...I'll come down sometime...I don't think I'll have a problem...I fly well and have a great memory!

sprzout

Mentor
Sweet...I'll come down sometime...I don't think I'll have a problem...I fly well and have a great memory!

LOL I'm sure it won't be a problem, but we had two safety issues this past weekend that have gotten things a little sideways at the field, so some additional checks are now being done for any pilots who haven't flown at our field before. We want to try to prevent it from happening again if we can help it, so we're going to be walking a little bit on eggshells.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Is baylands an air park? I’m in Oakland and usually fly at Ceasar Chávez in Berkeley.
It’s just a normal park. It has a large grass field that it usually empty. Every once in a while there is an event there, like people playing soccer, but it is almost always the side of the field where we don’t fly or land.

Jimun

Elite member
I am checking with the club on visitors. I don't know all the rules yet. I will let you know when I find out.
Other Club members are welcome to visit. Sunday mornings there are more people there if you want to meet more members. I miss a lot of Sundays. I go on Fridays or Saturdays most of the time. I plan on going this Saturday if it is not raining and the field is not all muddy.

herbertjalarcon

Elite member
Other Club members are welcome to visit. Sunday mornings there are more people there if you want to meet more members. I miss a lot of Sundays. I go on Fridays or Saturdays most of the time. I plan on going this Saturday if it is not raining and the field is not all muddy.
Well I might just come up this weekend...my BFF lives in Yucaipa...

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
That might be an issue since I barely know how to fly. I was hoping for some instruction.

sprzout

Mentor
That might be an issue since I barely know how to fly. I was hoping for some instruction.

THAT, we can help with as well. :) As long as we know that you're a beginner, we can work with buddy boxing and get you trained up. :) Our club actually offers free flight instruction on Monday nights from 5 PM until dusk, starting March 16th. If you were to come out on the weekends, we likely might have some instructors, but I can't guarantee that since they're not always there on Saturdays and Sundays.

We're willing to help get people flying and enjoy the hobby; we aren't gonna hate on you and prevent you from flying. But, if we know you're a beginner, we can try to help out. We may not let you solo just for safety reasons, but we can certainly help if needed. :)

sprzout

Mentor
I know that I showed up pretty late, but I fly in Sunnyvale CA, at baylands park. I have seen the club that @sprzout flies at, but only from the freeway, and I have always wanted to fly there.

If you're ever in the area, feel free to stop by. Gates are open on the weekends from about 7:30-8 AM until 1ish; during the week, you'd need to wait for a club member to come in and follow them in if you're visiting.

Jimun

Elite member
No flying today. I got called in to work and it looks like rain.:( I will have to wait till next week now.

sprzout

Mentor
No flying today. I got called in to work and it looks like rain.:( I will have to wait till next week now.

It POURED buckets yesterday here in North County San Diego. We actually had some thunder and lightning as well.

The one plus is that it made it easier to push the driveway markers into the ground when I was marking out our new drone area today, so I think it worked out ok. :)

Legendary member
It POURED buckets yesterday here in North County San Diego. We actually had some thunder and lightning as well.

The one plus is that it made it easier to push the driveway markers into the ground when I was marking out our new drone area today, so I think it worked out ok. :)
We could see it from LA, last night it rained here too. I was prefabbing a house and just barely missed getting wet.

sprzout

Mentor
It's been really nice the past few weeks, mid 50s. It rained for five minutes on Sunday so I wasn't able to fly anything. Supposed to be in the 80s all week.

I'm hoping it'll be warmer this week - the wife and I are supposed to be in Anaheim from Wed. until Sat.

Yesterday at the field was kinda weird - cool, and overcast, with light wind (5 mph) about mid-morning. It actually started affecting my TinyWhoop flying, blowing it around a little as I approached gates. The overcast sky also posed a problem; I was flying my white Nano Goblin, and lost it for a second in the grey/white sky. Fortunately, I was 3 mistakes high, so I was able to recover and bring it in for a landing, but now I think I need to put something brighter on it to contrast against the sky, especially if it's overcast.

Legendary member
I'm hoping it'll be warmer this week - the wife and I are supposed to be in Anaheim from Wed. until Sat.

Yesterday at the field was kinda weird - cool, and overcast, with light wind (5 mph) about mid-morning. It actually started affecting my TinyWhoop flying, blowing it around a little as I approached gates. The overcast sky also posed a problem; I was flying my white Nano Goblin, and lost it for a second in the grey/white sky. Fortunately, I was 3 mistakes high, so I was able to recover and bring it in for a landing, but now I think I need to put something brighter on it to contrast against the sky, especially if it's overcast.
I find that invasion stripes can help on light colored wings. For a quad I'd just paint it darker, see if that helps.