Anybody know this photo?

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Olympic.jpg

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
That's me. First glider bottom right. 14 yrs old. My father on the far right with the stopwatch. I believe he was the CD.

Came in 4th I believe. It was a new ship, and I had only flown her maybe 5-6 times off the Hi-Start before the contest. I had previously been flying our patched up Mark's Models* "Windward", the "Lead Sled". That would have been in March/April of 1974 as I recall. When that photo appeared in September of that same year, I had had a birthday, the State contest had been completed and Yours Truly with a Win in Endurance and a Fourth in Precision was the Hawaiian state glider champ.

Some interesting recollections about this particular photo. Back row, third from the right. Don't remember his name, but he was a pioneer in RC electric flight. I saw him fly a little 4 channel balsa, low wing model with a battery and electric motor. Really short flights (batteries of course), but he did it. ROG even. I believe he was also an Air Force pilot. The first glider back right with the LSF decal is Bob Anderson. An all around great pilot and my personal mentor. He was the overall State Champ of 1972. Some of the other guys also had some stories.

The big guy with the second glider from the left, back row had a temper. I recall on one particular weekend of flying that this particular gentleman ground looped on landing and broke his wing. Could have been fixed, good as NEW in 2-3 hours tops. Guy blows his top and starts to break everything down into kit form. Wants to make sure everything fits, neatly mind you, into the GI trash can. People are yelling, "Stop! Stop!". All to no avail. Which brings us to the guy next to me.

At 22-23, Ernesto was the next youngest after me. A grown man, he had a wife, a baby and not a lot of money. Ernesto fished out the "remains" from the trash can and took it home. He showed up the next weekend with a snappy looking brand new Olympic 99 modified with, (drum-roll please), a V-Tail! Let ME fly it. It was awesome. Flat turn on a dime.

The guy on the far left with no shirt (Barry Reed) is the same guy that I saw shred a Formula I racer in the ironwood pine trees.

And my Dad* of course, Arnie Pyatt. He taught me to be modeler (even if I am kind of lazy). He received a well deserved 1st Place for Precision in 1973.

*Mark Smith of Mark's Models fame set the closed course distance record at our slope, my training grounds, in Hawaii. Dad was there.

Last edited:

DonC52

That was really interesting, thank you.
Are there any more where that came from? I for one would like to see them and then hear the history as well.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
That was really interesting, thank you.
Are there any more where that came from? I for one would like to see them and then hear the history as well.

Thank you! I actually have one more old magazine story that I am working on. I am expecting the AMA Archives to come through.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Thank you! I actually have one more old magazine story that I am working on. I am expecting the AMA Archives to come through.

And never found it. Somewhere between May 1967 and September 1969 There is younger me in Model Airplane News or something. I am 8 yo and I am heaving a hand launched balsa glider. I also built a AMA Cub. Similar to the Dart -- FT Flyer. It was a youth contest in Norfolk, VA.

Some interesting recollections about this particular photo. Back row, third from the right, (second glider). Don't remember his name, but he was a pioneer in RC electric flight. I saw him fly a little 4 channel balsa, low wing model with a battery and electric motor. Really short flights (batteries of course), but he did it. ROG even. I believe he was also an Air Force pilot. The first glider back right with the LSF decal is Bob Anderson. An all around great pilot and my mentor who was the overall State Champ of 1972. Some of the other guys had some stories.