Anyone else find it fun to get a hold of an old bit of gear and restore it to operational status?

JennyC6

Elite member
Bought this engine on tuesday from my LHS, $35, siezed solid. Freed it up, slapped a prop, glow plug in it, and off it went! Still have some work to do but this thing's easily just as powerful as a modern 40-size two cycle and it WILL fly. And I love that tiny muffler on it, louder than all hell but quite compact.

I know I said I wanted to use a 4-cycle on my Master Series P-47 build but I'm starting to lean towards putting this on it...

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Bought this engine on tuesday from my LHS, $35, siezed solid. Freed it up, slapped a prop, glow plug in it, and off it went! Still have some work to do but this thing's easily just as powerful as a modern 40-size two cycle and it WILL fly. And I love that tiny muffler on it, louder than all hell but quite compact.

I know I said I wanted to use a 4-cycle on my Master Series P-47 build but I'm starting to lean towards putting this on it...
Ok. That was pretty cool and exciting! Also reminded me of why I fly electric. ;) That seemed like some serious power! :)

JennyC6

Elite member
Ok. That was pretty cool and exciting! Also reminded me of why I fly electric. ;) That seemed like some serious power! :)
Over 1 horsepower. Thing's a rival to a modern OS 46AX(I have one of these, too, they turn the same numbers on the same prop/fuel). Why any time I go to adjust the idle speed screw on the carb you can see the screwdriver twitching; I have to get uncomfortably close to the prop to make said adjustments.

6.5lbs of thrust it's putting out, if my calculator of choice is accurate. Perchance, you know the typical flying weight for a master series thunderbolt? I'm thinking they're gonna be in the 3-4 pound range...

JennyC6

Elite member
It's one drive washer away from being declared airworthy. Well over 3kg of thrust, beautiful transition, good idle, easy starting...FT P47 RAzorback with that 10-5-3 prop would look, sound boss, and I'd have a 3:1 thrust/weight ratio besides!

JennyC6

Elite member
Electrics have there place but hard to beat the smell of Nitro, I can fly most of my electrics at home but when it comes to the gas and glow planes have to go to the field.
If my house wasnt slotted into a forest I probably wouldnt fly at a field at all. I'm rural enough that the noise is a total nonissue as is space. Just too many trees around.

Mambawan

My first planes when I was a boy of 10 were powered by my dads old motors from when he was a boy, pre glow plug era!

quorneng

Master member
JennyC6
Don't assume a 'modern' glow engine is automatically more powerful. They tend to be designed specifically for RC work and to meet strict noise limits.
'Back in the day' good engines were simply designed to be as powerful as possible and the designers got pretty good at achieving it. ;)

JennyC6

Elite member
JennyC6
Don't assume a 'modern' glow engine is automatically more powerful. They tend to be designed specifically for RC work and to meet strict noise limits.

I'm not assuming. I've tached an OS 46AX on the same fuel, prop I tached this Fox engine on, and they peak
'Back in the day' good engines were simply designed to be as powerful as possible and the designers got pretty good at achieving it. ;)[/QUOTE]
JennyC6
'Back in the day' good engines were simply designed to be as powerful as possible and the designers got pretty good at achieving it. ;)
...what noise limits? Far as I can tell there are no restrictions in the lawbooks governing noise and emissions from model aircraft engines. They can be as loud and smokey as desired.

quorneng

Master member
Many clubs in the UK operate specific and measured decibel noise limits. A club can face closure for causing a noise disturbance to nearby by residents. Some engines suffer more than others from the effects of exhaust back pressure.

JennyC6

Elite member
I want to see that!
I'll probably be ordering the speedbuild kit either later this week or next week. We shall see how the paychecks fall.

Many clubs in the UK operate specific and measured decibel noise limits. A club can face closure for causing a noise disturbance to nearby by residents. Some engines suffer more than others from the effects of exhaust back pressure.
A few clubs in the UK that have infuriatingly annoying NIMBY neighbors are not going to make an entire industry change its policies. What does make companies change policies is legislation, and far as I can tell there is no noise or emission regulation applicable to model aircraft engines. They are allowed to be as loud and smokey as desired.

Also worth noting that the Fox engine in the OP of this thread isn't any louder than any of my other two cycles. Oh, and if you ever want your weed whacker to live longer than one season before the top end melts, grab a walbro carb for a DLE 30 and bolt that on. The EPA carb previously fitted to the strimmer is set to lean-burn it like crazy and the EPA rules require proprietary fixings on the mixture needles so the average joe can't adjust the thing; the carb for the DLE30 does not have to meet these regulations and is easily user adjustable. Bolt that carb on, fatten 'er up, and she'll last 10x as long.

As an aside, people who complain about things like that make my blood boil like nothing else. I have zero respect for anyone who thinks they have the authority to tell someone else what they can and cannot do on their own property with their own property. Way I see it, as long as the people next door aren't putting me at direct risk of harm, I don't give a flying -beep- what they do or what hour they do it at. They want to have a machine gun shoot in their back yard at 3AM on a monday morning? 'Long as they're doing it safely I'm more than happy to let 'em have their fun. They want to blast heavy metal all day? Sure, hell crank it up more I'll rock out to it too. They want to run control line 60-size planes with no mufflers? Hell yeah, I don't fly CL myself but I can appreciate the engines! They want to decorate their lawn with junky cars? I think it's in poor taste to let perfectly good old classics go to rot on cinder blocks, but to each their own I say. It's not my property so, as long as it's not damaging my property or putting me at mortal risk, I have no authority to tell them what they can or cannot do on it.

Last edited: