Anyone else impacted by YouTube's Demonetization?

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Sure, I remember you, Daniel...

I'm pleased you're interested in building the Sandpiper-- bummer that your YouTube account was removed-- strange.
Anyway, if you get back up and running, here is a link to the Sandpiper 12" build series. Good luck with it and happy building!

I made this tutorial with the beginner in mind-- trying to keep it simple. I wouldn't consider this a contest-grade model-- but, if crafted well enough, you can achieve 30+ second flight times no problem.

Also, if anyone else decides to build one of these, I'd be interested in knowing how the build went and how it flies.
One of our subscribers, (I think from England) built our Sandpiper and he had it flying fantastically!

His reaction to it flying so well is absolutely priceless!

thanks for the links! i will bookmark them now! it does look like a nice simple build for the likes of me! do you think gel super glue would work in the place of other hobby specific CA glues? i only seem to be able to find the gel kind these days.

NighthawkGliders

Enjoy Flight & Enjoy Life
do you think gel super glue would work in the place of other hobby specific CA glues? i only seem to be able to find the gel kind these days.

I’ve never used the gel before, but I’m sure it would just fine. Usually, the thicker the CA glue, the more time you have to position your parts before the glue sets. After assembling, you may want to let it sit for a few hours before putting it under launching stress.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
I’ve never used the gel before, but I’m sure it would just fine. Usually, the thicker the CA glue, the more time you have to position your parts before the glue sets. After assembling, you may want to let it sit for a few hours before putting it under launching stress.

alrighty then! thank you!

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
youtube.PNG

lay down
try not to cry
cry a lot

Thx youtube

NighthawkGliders

Yup... The deadline came real quick... Hmm, I kind of wondered--

Now that a million or so (don't really know the numbers) small channels are taken out of the YPP, does that mean the advertising market space has just gotten smaller? in other words, will a) cost for advertising space go up? and/or b) will the number of ads increase for those channels still in YPP? Just curious...

Anyway... what's done is done and we still got a road ahead of us to make our channel better.
We're kind of still in somewhat of an experimental phase-- trying out new things, improving out video making skills, etc.
We still have a lot to learn and this will take some time. This is only the beginning for us! :)

Hopefully, there are some folks out there who feel that we are providing some value for them on YT... Be it entertaining and/or educational. That's very important to us.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
My guess is to just keep moving forward. I think that there were so many small channels that they saw as an easy way to save money while encouraging us to grow more and then getting them more view time. Also like you said since ads are for larger channels they can charge more per ad because they can almost guarantee a certain amount of views of that ad.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
View attachment 102588

lay down
try not to cry
cry a lot

Thx youtube

well its not that bad of a loss. how much did you make? lol. like 10 cents? sadly thats the way it is. at least you didnt get terminated like me haha. now you can turn off all ads.

all seriousness aside, that really stinks. so you have to have 4k views per year to monetize? thats dumb.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Well I was at $50 and it’s 4k HOURS of view time not views, unless you post an hour long video. And that’s not the big issue, the subscriber count is. If I do one “hit” video a year I’ll get my views no problem, or if I just post consistently and make my videos longer. But subscribers are hard to gain.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Well I was at $50 and it’s 4k HOURS of view time not views, unless you post an hour long video. And that’s not the big issue, the subscriber count is. If I do one “hit” video a year I’ll get my views no problem, or if I just post consistently and make my videos longer. But subscribers are hard to gain.

OH!!! WOW!!!!! that is IN-SANE!!!!!!!!!!! also wow 50 bucks that really incredible!!! i need to get back in the game!! well just keep making videos and in a year i bet you will be at 1k subs. faster if you make a vid a week.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Yeah that’s my plan for this summer Daniel, right now I am just making them whenever I have time.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Just saw this one...Youtube has honestly been very unkind to folks who don't meet their mold, whatever it is. Frankly it actually is grounds for legal action given that a number of people had transitioned over to youtube media as a full time job only to be demonetized because they 'violated' the 'community standards'. That would be reasonable were it not for the fact that these standards conflict with the ones that existed when these channels came online, and in many cases long standing and popular videos are getting hard strikes for violating these new standards. Not a good way to do business, and almost undoubtedly in violation of legal standards.

For my own channel, I've been thinking about monetization for quite some time but know very, very little about it. Based on what I'm seeing, my channel would definitely qualify. I had no idea that NighthawkGliders was getting over $100/year. That alone would make it worthwhile.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Yeah I could probably do that if I posted more regularly, I might try and do daily vlogs for a week (maybe longer if I like it) in the summer to grow my channel so I can get monetized. And the more videos that you have out there the more can get you views and more ad revenue, once you have so many videos it's a great cycle.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
You tube like many video games get protected by a EULA. Which each person by logging in accepts the changes. Its a nice little loop hole for skeevy corporations to play god over the customers that support them. Those type of contracts would never stand in a court of law because both sides are not represented in the making of them. They go by the simple fact the average person could not afford to do legal battles against them.

Kinda why all the crap is going on in the world with various governments getting away with all the devious crap they do. They know no one can afford to challenge them and the ones that can are kept passive with loop holes protecting their wealth.

Anyway You Tube has become another piece of the Google bid to control the world so expect more of the same until they hit that plateau where everyone jumps ship like Myspace did for You Tube when they got all stupid. Something else will come along and everyone will hop over to that to repeat the cycle.

If you do not use ads on your page or if you do not have insta fame they will screw you over and hold your efforts back in other ways then rule changes. for instance. I get between 30 to over 60 views on my crappy page every 48 hours. But my view counts don't rise over 100 per month in the new system. View time average is 1:50's and rising, total view time is rising as well yet video watch count is falling drastically...

I watch tracking on specific videos specially the newer ones and they are getting a decent amount of hits according to the individual real time counters yet the statistics show little growth thus presenting the channel as not growing. That in turn grants no promotion by their rules simply because I choose not to use ads.

My crappy guitar covers get blocked yet there are thousands of other you tubers getting their same covers promoted and they are even monetized channels making it more illegal for them to use "copyrighted" materials then mine where I specifically state I do not claim ownership and it is more for parody then musically viable to be thought of as stealing.

Anyway its all corporate bs and thievery and as long as we all continue to put up with it they will find new ways to extort even more from its customers.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
yeah i think we can all agree that youtube is just plain bad. heh. anyone else glad that Prager University is suing them?

NighthawkGliders

Yeah I could probably do that if I posted more regularly, I might try and do daily vlogs for a week (maybe longer if I like it) in the summer to grow my channel so I can get monetized. And the more videos that you have out there the more can get you views and more ad revenue, once you have so many videos it's a great cycle.

I just had a thought for you, Ryan... if you don't mind my unsolicited advice...

I think you should consider doing a "big project" over the summer leading up to Flite Fest Ohio. (I'm assuming you'll be at Flite Fest Ohio!) With this big project, you'll define your goal to your audience, plan the project, and break it down into a series of segments (10-12). You could blog around the build and have some video montages of the build intermixed. Think a lot about content presentation.

For example, maybe you can build a big RC plane that has a bomb-bay door that will dump a thousand toothpick gliders at once! Yes, you have done something like this before, but this time it'll be bigger and it will be at a large event (FF Ohio). Also, to engage your audience some more, maybe you can invite them to help you build those toothpick gliders. Define the toothpick glider dimensions and allow your audience to submit up to 100 gliders. Give them opportunity to brand their gliders, put their YT channel names on them, or website on them... or not... they can design them however they like. Setup a P.O. Box to receive the gliders so you don't have to publicly announce your personal home address. If you get more than 1000 gliders, then you consider multiple flights to disperse-- no more than one per day.

Ok... so now you've dumped thousands of gliders on the FF field (assuming FF team is ok with that), then what?
Should you have an incentive for folks to go out on the field to find the toothpick gliders? Yes, yes you should.

Make it into a contest... Consider making a few "Golden Toothpick Gliders" for a prize redemption. Maybe you can make an Foam RC plane to give away. Maybe those folks who send you 100 Toothpick gliders will offer prizes of their own to distribute. I.e. 1-5 of their 100 gliders could be tagged by you as their "Golden Toothpick Glider" and if someone finds it, they get their prize. Maybe another additional incentive (to help clean up the gliders) is to reward the person with the most gliders gathered.

I suppose the challenge is getting your audience participation and involvement in the project. You might be surprised of who will want to help you. I'd be willing to make 100 Toothpick Gliders for you and offer a few of my gliders as a prize... just as an example.

IDK... just a thought. The devil's in the details, of course, and the FT Team may need to approve of this first...

Regardless if you like this idea or not (don't worry, I won't be offended if you don't) I think your channel has potential for growth. Think of something "Big," make it happen, and your audience will grow!

Good luck, my friend!

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I was actually thinking of dropping some gliders last year out of my guinea pig, but you can only for so many in there, and I think the PO box is a great idea! Plus I already have some Foam Test shirts as a giveaway option. Maybe I could cut out some Discovery kits and and give away some toothpick glider kits as well. I already have a big build in the works and if it does work I'll definitely use it, if not I can fit anywhere between 100-150 in the guinea pig. I have put 60 in there and I know it'll take a lot more than that.

P.S. Making 100 gliders takes a lot of time lol the reason I only had 60 was because I couldn't build 100 the night before. I guess if I have more time then It'll be easier. I might try and make like 10-20 a day until I have a ton of them to drop myself.

Ray K

Ray K
OH!!! WOW!!!!! that is IN-SANE!!!!!!!!!!! also wow 50 bucks that really incredible!!! i need to get back in the game!! well just keep making videos and in a year i bet you will be at 1k subs. faster if you make a vid a week.

Hey, Daniel. There's already a formula out there in You Tube world that draws lots of subscribers. Get yourself a sailboat, stock it with half-naked girls, drink lotsa beer, and you're a winner. You even get to brag about it on camera. Go figure.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hey, Daniel. There's already a formula out there in You Tube world that draws lots of subscribers. Get yourself a sailboat, stock it with half-naked girls, drink lotsa beer, and you're a winner. You even get to brag about it on camera. Go figure.

Well shoot... I been goin about this the wrong way the entire time..

Will trade five quads three foam air planes and all associated gear for one sail boat + girls.. I can source my own beer.

Sorry FT need to head for calmer waters!!