Anyone else ou there from Seattle?

Duck

I've had lots of success flying at 60 acres. The fields are closed to sports most of the year to keep the grass in good shape. Even during the summer you can fly there in the mornings. I think practice usually starts at 3. People do use the field so sometimes you have to pick up an move to another spot to stay where you won't fly over people. There are lots of fields and everyone is friendly so I have yet to have a problem.

There are fields booked on Wednesdays for flying by a local club. They are mostly gliders but one of their members invited me to come with my mini arrow.

http://www.60acres.org/calendar.html

This club has wednesdays booked at one of the fields for flying:
http://www.seattleareasoaringsociety.com/

I think the soaring society also has a private field in Carnation. That is only for members. I haven't had much time for flying so I never joined but it looked like a good field.

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
I'll keep looking at each weekend and contact you and nhk750 when I'll be able to make it out there and the weather is nice. This is not the time of year to be hoping for nice weather and open schedules but we'll make it happen :)

kwixom

Sorry man, I had a crazy november - between work, flying to Texas for a death in the family and other things I didn't have much time to check the forums.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Sumner Golf Course

I just flew at the old closed Sumner Golf Course today and I was pleased! Pavement landing, no one there, no tower controlled airports around, wide open space and I didn't even crash today! Here is a video. It was 29f so a little cold, and my camera died, but I had a good landing in my totally beat up Storch. It banks so hard to the right that my trims are maxed out and it fly's sideways...

TexMechsRobot

I just flew at the old closed Sumner Golf Course today and I was pleased! Pavement landing, no one there, no tower controlled airports around, wide open space and I didn't even crash today! Here is a video. It was 29f so a little cold, and my camera died, but I had a good landing in my totally beat up Storch. It banks so hard to the right that my trims are maxed out and it fly's sideways...

I started putting two and two together and realized that you're Dave Morrison. I'm Craig Dillon. We ate dinner at Azteca 4 chairs apart from each other tonight lol.

I think Amy and Dana are planning a dinner after the holidays but now we HAVE to get together and go flying :)

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Small world!

I started putting two and two together and realized that you're Dave Morrison. I'm Craig Dillon. We ate dinner at Azteca 4 chairs apart from each other tonight lol.

I think Amy and Dana are planning a dinner after the holidays but now we HAVE to get together and go flying :)

No way! You can add, lol! I told Dana to text Amy that I build Flight Test Planes to see if you are in the mix, but you figured it out and it turns out we have been communicating on the forum this whole time. What a small world! Flight Test is an amazing link for the rc world. I am ready to fly anytime, Just finished my latest Storch!

TexMechsRobot

I have built the FT Bushwacker and the FT Spitfire. I didn't like the Bushwacker so I scrapped it for parts but the Spitfire is a dream to fly. I also have a few other threads with planes I've built and am learning to fly.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?26506-Refurbish-of-Carl-Goldberg-Sky-Tiger-(Build-Log)

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?30978-EBM-Fairchild-Trainer-PT-19-Build-Thread

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?29419-Glider-Electronics&highlight=glider+electronics

Not a flying model but this is my current project.
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?31529-Revell-747-Ed-Force-One-Plastic-Kit

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I was checking out some of your stuff last night, you do nice work. I have a balsa kit that I am going to work on next winter, right now I am just working on the Flight Test stuff and learning to fly better. I am going to make the kit look like the airplane I used to fly in real life...it's going to take a while. I may even build another balsa before that one so I can get some practice in.

Nice job on that 747, really detailed!

IMG_0107.JPG

Super rare C172 kit...

TexMechsRobot

I was checking out some of your stuff last night, you do nice work. I have a balsa kit that I am going to work on next winter, right now I am just working on the Flight Test stuff and learning to fly better. I am going to make the kit look like the airplane I used to fly in real life...it's going to take a while. I may even build another balsa before that one so I can get some practice in.

Nice job on that 747, really detailed!

Super rare C172 kit...

Thanks! I like the building aspect of the hobby as much as the flying. That 172 kit looks fun! I've got about 2 hours in the left seat of one of those. Then I realized that I couldn't afford that hobby so I started building small ones :)

TexMechsRobot

Kwixom and nhk750, I'm planning to go flying this Sunday, Jan 15 at about 12:00 or shortly thereafter. There's no chance for rain right now, it should be in the low 40's, and the wind is very low. The only issue may be that the ground is still wet and soggy so if you want to join me, keep that in mind.

Text me at if you want to meet me at the field and I can let you in the gate and show you around.

Last edited:

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Checking with the boss...

Kwixom and nhk750, I'm planning to go flying this Sunday, Jan 15 at about 12:00 or shortly thereafter. There's no chance for rain right now, it should be in the low 40's, and the wind is very low. The only issue may be that the ground is still wet and soggy so if you want to join me, keep that in mind.

Text me at <REDACTED> if you want to meet me at the field and I can let you in the gate and show you around.

Checking with boss, get back to you tonight. I really want to go and have planes ready!

Last edited by a moderator:

TexMechsRobot

Yep! Get the sportster complete and you can maiden it with someone else hand launching for you. I'm going to be maidening my Carl Goldberg Sky Tiger and I'm super nervous about it.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Got clearance from the tower for departure on Sunday after church. The Sportster is a few weeks from completion, but I have a brand new modified Storch and a brand new Tiny Trainer ready for maidens. I can only spend about 2 hours there as we have dinner plans with parents later in the afternoon, but that should plenty of time to destroy two new airframes....lol...

I'm always nervous about rc flying, I got to get over that. Funny, I never felt that way flying real airplanes...

Last edited:

TexMechsRobot

Got clearance from the tower for departure on Sunday after church. The Sportster is a few weeks from completion, but I have a brand new modified Storch and a brand new Tiny Trainer ready for maidens. I can only spend about 2 hours there as we have dinner plans with parents later in the afternoon, but that should plenty of time to destroy two new airframes....lol...

I'm always nervous about rc flying, I got to get over that. Funny, I never felt that way flying real airplanes...

Perfect! I should be at the field by about 12:30 and 2 hours is usually plenty of time for me too. Use this address to find the field.

24041 276th Ave SE Maple Valley, WA 98038

I'll meet you outside the gate. Amy will be coming so if Dana wants to, she'll have company. No pressure on that though :) There is a station for charging with 12v so bring a charger with alligator clips if you want to recharge while you're there. Porta-poty, pack in pack out, no open flames. I think those are the major things to consider before you come.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Yup, I know where it's at. I used to ride my motorcyle by there and park on the street and watch the planes fly, now I get to actually go inside the gate! It looks like an old landfill area with the big mound. I think Dana is going too, she might go for a walk along the river with the dog.

kwixom

So I found a great area between Auburn/Kent with a HUGE flat field that worked out great - I just bought my first complete flying plane (Horizon Sport Cub S) and flew it there today for about 30 min - LOTS of space. Some blackberry vines in areas, but there's a great incomplete road that bisects the fields so you've got a great runway, too. I just need to make sure the local homeowners have no issue, now.