Anyone figured out how to print directly to DTFB yet? And don't mention another home brew CNC machine. Not what I'm asking for.

Psychron

www.youtube.com/psychron
What do I need to buy to print directly to the DTFB? I'm tired of cutting out plans then putting them on poster board, then cutting them again. I'd much rather print those plans directly to my dollar tree foam board and cut them out after the fact. There's got to be a way to do that. a $6K laser cutter is out of the question. If I'm going to spend that much money I'm better off just buying speed build kits.

Drone 5

I pre cut the plan parts roughly with about half an inch overlap, then hold down the part plan with some painters tape and then cut through the plan once. Job done.

Psychron

www.youtube.com/psychron
I'm reading this can be done with a vinyl cutter and the pen attachment. I'm considering pursuing that route and then I can print out vinyl decals as well for windows, signage, etc.

Psychron

www.youtube.com/psychron
I pre cut the plan parts roughly with about half an inch overlap, then hold down the part plan with some painters tape and then cut through the plan once. Job done.
My last build I printed directly to cardstock, then used easy tack to put the tiled sheets on the foam board and cut out the templates and parts at the same time, leaving me with a set of cardstock templates for future use when I crash and need to reproduce the part. Still feel as if I'd rather just print to the foam board and not have to cut through or add any weight to my aircraft.

Headbang

Master member
I use an mpcnc with a needle cutter. Also have a drag knife for cutting vinyl, and a router for cutting ply parts. It really is the way to go. Saves hours of work. Makes crashing not such a big deal.

GMalatrasi

So you leave the paper glued to the foam board and call it a day? What adhesive do you use? super 77? Have you had adhesion issues doing it this way?
I use a glue stick and try to apply the glue just outside the cut lines so most of the glued areas are cut off. If there's any glue areas still attached after cutting, they are normally easy to peal off.
Once in a while I get small areas where the glue doesn't want to release and it rips the print paper but it's not too bad.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I have done two methods with success. Tape loops (2 per part) and spray adhesive Super 77. it doesn't bond right away well so it allows for removal However, it doesn't always stick, long term, when just sprayed on one side. So I've had my pattern come off (when forgetting it was there.

Tape loops are fine for low parts count. spray is best for large projects. or many pieces.

I am building a shop area to build in (a guest room) and I'm thinking @kilroy07 may be right in his long ago suggestion at adding the CNC low rider as part of the build. I just have to know I will finish the build table soon.

Psychron

www.youtube.com/psychron
So I've just finished a conversation with a vinyl cutter company. It turns out those $300.00 vinyl cutters will work with material that is 5mm thick and thicker. it would take an input and output table to allow the material to slide back and forth, but the software would allow me to load the foam board into the unit, and change the plotter pen between red, black and blue to get all the markings drawn in. to me, that's a no brainer. For $300.00, I'm fine cutting the parts out by hand. It'd take me longer than the time it takes them to ship this thing to me in man hours to source, receive, assemble, program, and finally utilize any CNC project build. Ain't nobody got time for that.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
My last build I printed directly to cardstock, then used easy tack to put the tiled sheets on the foam board and cut out the templates and parts at the same time, leaving me with a set of cardstock templates for future use when I crash and need to reproduce the part. Still feel as if I'd rather just print to the foam board and not have to cut through or add any weight to my aircraft.

I finally got around to buying and trying some cardstock. A step in the right direction.

Psychron

www.youtube.com/psychron
Unless, of course, someone wants to sell me a MPCNC fully assembled with associated required software.. then I'd be willing to give it a try.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
So I've just finished a conversation with a vinyl cutter company. It turns out those $300.00 vinyl cutters will work with material that is 5mm thick and thicker. it would take an input and output table to allow the material to slide back and forth, but the software would allow me to load the foam board into the unit, and change the plotter pen between red, black and blue to get all the markings drawn in. to me, that's a no brainer. For $300.00, I'm fine cutting the parts out by hand. It'd take me longer than the time it takes them to ship this thing to me in man hours to source, receive, assemble, program, and finally utilize any CNC project build. Ain't nobody got time for that.

You should be able to bypass the pens and go directly to cutting.

Psychron

www.youtube.com/psychron
I finally got around to buying and trying some cardstock. A step in the right direction.
yeah it was a huge time savings as compared to regular paper and by the time you're done going through 6 sheets of poster board for a larger build you've paid for the card stock you used anyway.