Anyone in Kansas with a Tricopter or Quadcopter?

kah00na

My in-laws were in town with the Traxxas cars. We had to see how the Tricopter measured up against them. Theirs are 4x4 with set at the fastest mode available:

... another good "Kansas" video.

knowjesusnow

Hey Kah00na, I'm in Kansas, Wichita area, and just built a V-Tail Quad and have been only flying it for a little while, but would like to also get together with other MR's and practice/exchange ideas. What area are you in? PM me with your location and we can go from there...

kah00na

Hey Kah00na, I'm in Kansas, Wichita area, and just built a V-Tail Quad and have been only flying it for a little while, but would like to also get together with other MR's and practice/exchange ideas. What area are you in? PM me with your location and we can go from there...

Cool! I met up with MidwestRob a week ago and we had a good time flying. He is real good at FPV flying (jealous is the word that describes how I feel). I mostly just fly line of sight but I want to do more FPV stuff. What kind of flying do you do most? That video of me racing the Traxxas cars was the first ever real racing I've done - it was exciting and nerve racking at the same time.

Wow, 4 people in Kansas. You, me, MidwestRob, and MrClean lives somewhere nearby too.

knowjesusnow

I think it is cool that they are still doing that sort of thing, but come on guys if we want to expand this hobby, we need to embrace each others talents and build on those to bring in more people to the sport.

knowjesusnow

Here are some pics of my build, I added the lights to try and help me with my orientation when it is at a distance, but it didn't works as well as I had hoped for. I think I might try something else the will be more visible since the housings sort of direct the light. It looks pretty sweet at night, but it is a lot of extra weight and doesn't do what I wanted it to do.

V-Quad-01-lte.jpg V-Quad-02-lte.jpg V-Quad-03-lte.jpg V-Quad-05-lte.jpg

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Nice lights knowjesus.

One thing I would mention though, and I'll just cut and paste from another thread.

"The Hextronik DT series is frustrating to some flyers because of the way they mount the props. Many complain the DT750s have crappy bearings, and those replacement bearing are a popular item at HK.

You have the props clamped between the bell and the nut. That puts a tremendous shear force on the inset grub screw holding the bell to the shaft. When and if the shaft slips upwards on the bell, even a few hundreds of an inch, it transfers that shear to the bearings, greatly shortening their life."

It can be easily remedied by putting a nut and washer under the prop.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
The DT750's I recently purchased were not threaded enough to cause the condition you listed from another thread. I just cut the shafts off where the threads ended and used collet type prop adapters seated at the bell. Very hard to cause issues listed above with bearings and doubly hard to bend a shaft.

Thurmond

knowjesusnow

Yes the Props that I am using have a collar in the center of them, but mainly I am using this as a beginner quad and am planning on upgrading it in the future after I get all the controls down better. But thank you for the advise.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
As long as there is no constant hard pull on the shaft against the bell, other than the thrust of the prop, any config would be fine I imagine.

kah00na

I've placed my order for a set of FatShark Attitude goggles. HobbyKing said they should be back in stock within 50 days. I guess that might allow them to arrive before Christmas. I guess that is good enough. I could have ordered a pair and had them arrive for a $100 more than HK sells them for. Oh well, they'll get here eventually. I'm anxious to get descent with them and then meet up again with some fellow FPV'ers!

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Don't know where you're at, but I found the Attitudes, with their solid rubber eye cups are terrible in the humid summer heat here in NC. They just fog up terrible. They're great in less humidity, so maybe you won't miss them so much if you have the same conditions.

knowjesusnow

So Kah00na, I noticed in your race video that you have a similar tricopter to my quad, would you be interested in a canopy for it made from ABS plastic, sort of like the covers for the trucks? I am thinking about making a vacuum form for mine to protect the electronics while making it look interesting. It is one thing that I haven't seen anyone do yet and thought it would make an interesting addition to the hobby. Let me know your thoughts and nice flying in the video by the way...

knowjesusnow

Any pointers on some formations to fly to get better with orientation? I think my biggest problem is letting it get too far away from me and then I can't really see it. I was practicing flying it down my street, turning around and then flying it back but thought I would see if you guys had any pointers. I am still looking on Ebay for a simulator, and just missed a good one for cheap, and I will practice on there as well. Thanks for the input and happy flying. Matthew

MidwestRob

I've placed my order for a set of FatShark Attitude goggles.
Hey that's great! You're gonna love them if they're anything like the FatShark Dominator goggles. You did a great job flying with mine.

Any pointers on some formations to fly to get better with orientation?
That's one of the downsides to flying a multirotor line of sight; it's very easy to lose orientation. I've tried everything from lights to different colored arms to help with orientation, but I still lose it from time to time. I've found that's it's easier to keep your orientation if you maintain forward flight. I always run into trouble when stopping or slowing my multirotor to make a turn. The multirotor's silhouette can play some funny tricks on your eyes under certain light conditions.

kah00na

So Kah00na, I noticed in your race video that you have a similar tricopter to my quad, would you be interested in a canopy for it made from ABS plastic, sort of like the covers for the trucks? I am thinking about making a vacuum form for mine to protect the electronics while making it look interesting. It is one thing that I haven't seen anyone do yet and thought it would make an interesting addition to the hobby. Let me know your thoughts and nice flying in the video by the way...

Yeah I'd be interested! The pool noodle I'm using now helps with protecting the electronics and with keeping my orientation so the canopy would have to do somewhat the same. I'm sure it would also look a lot cooler than what I have now. I have the most trouble with orientation when it starts flying level across in front of me and I can't tell if the arm that hangs down lowest is the closer one to me or the one further away.

Any pointers on some formations to fly to get better with orientation?

Sometimes I get confused about which way my tricopter is leaning but I just tell myself that I know which way it was going and the direction it should still be going and I go with the assumption and I'm usually right. Like MidwestRob said, if you keep it moving forward that helps alot too. I started working on flying in a figure 8 so I could get use to seeing what it looks like, how it turns, and how I need to steer it. Now I'm working on figure 8's where it turns left on my left side and right on my right side - that is much harder for me because it is turning toward me but I think it will make me a better pilot.

In my video you can see that I'm "backing up" during the return flight in the second and third rounds. In the first round I spun it around to face forward halfway back but it slowed me down too much and I lost. I'm working on doing better U-turns as I think that will help with maintaining my speed in races but it sure does a number on my orientation especially when it is that far away!

knowjesusnow

Yeah I'd be interested! The pool noodle I'm using now helps with protecting the electronics and with keeping my orientation so the canopy would have to do somewhat the same. I'm sure it would also look a lot cooler than what I have now.

Yeah that is what I was thinking for mine, that the canopy would protect the electronics as well as improve the look of it. I am gonna start on mine this evening and I'll post some pictures when I get it complete. If you like it, i'll I need is the dimensions of your tri and I should be able to fab one for you. Not sure how long it will take, but I am curious how it will look.

Sometimes I get confused about which way my tricopter is leaning but I just tell myself that I know which way it was going and the direction it should still be going and I go with the assumption and I'm usually right. Like MidwestRob said, if you keep it moving forward that helps alot too. I started working on flying in a figure 8 so I could get use to seeing what it looks like, how it turns, and how I need to steer it. Now I'm working on figure 8's where it turns left on my left side and right on my right side - that is much harder for me because it is turning toward me but I think it will make me a better pilot.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try out some of the figure 8's the next time I go flying as well as trying to fly it in a circle while keeping it going forward, as Rob suggested. Thanks again guys for all the advise and happy flying to ya. MJM

MrClean

So, on the Attitude glasses. Well, any really. Stoneblue did a review of the 5.8 g system from Fatshark that comes with camera, transmitter and goggles for receiver. Said they were pretty good BUT he doesn't like the whip antenaes and says the goggles are "ok" and he'll use them as a hand off pair for co-pilots. But I don't want a pair to get used too, as he was saying, I'm probably just going to buy one set and if an extra 50 bucks makes it a pleasant experience for flying around the park, well I'd spend the 50 extra bucks. I don't have the time to progress to the next set with my only getting out 3 or 4 times a year. But I DO like the all in one package, though I'd gladly buy a couple cloverleafs to upgrade the antenae. I'm now holding onto my last 8103 to keep something in the 72 Mhz world.

With that in mind, is he just complaining about low resolution goggles, if so is there a package I can buy that fixes that, do I need to buy pieces? This is why I need to get out with you Kansas boys, so I can see what the haps is. I'd rather, in the future, spend the money on a GoPro instead of just replacing a set of glasses I shouldn't have bought in the first place.

kah00na

I'm going with the Attitudes because of the built-in head tracking and 5.8Ghz receiver and it also comes with a transmitter. I like the idea of having it all built into the goggles and not having to lug out multiple pieces of equipment just for a short close flight to have fun. The Fatshark goggles do have an input to display a video signal from an external source - like a 72 Mhz system or whatever. I looked at a lot of other goggles but couldn't find any that have been proven to be better. Also, the other goggle sets I looked on various websites look like they may have a better resolution than the Fatsharks but if the signal coming from the tx/rx is still junky, I'd just end up with a sharper view of a junky picture. Also, I'm hesitant to be the first one to by a no-name brand of goggles from over seas just to find out they aren't as good as what I thought they would be. I tried MidwestRob's Dominator Fatsharks and they were great and that helped to set some realistic expectations of the Attitudes. If I could spend $50 more and know what I was getting would be better, I'd do that for sure. The problem is I don't know for sure of anything better.

MrClean

Ok, I looked back and heres the video http://youtu.be/80KniQQpgpY and they are the Teleporter, so the resolution is 320x240 not 640x480. So you can see it would be a bit chunkier in the video section. Are the Dominators set up for a ground station standard and the Attitudes are set up for wireless? I hate when they have a different name for different features instead of just Fat Shark, high res, wireless connect.
Well, 160 bucks difference, that's just a wee bit more time. Maybe they'll go on sale.