Anyone interested in a DIY thrust stand (or three...)

kilroy07

Legendary member
So.... You know how it is... Your starting a new hobby, you see a cool Instructiable https://www.instructables.com/Brushless-Motor-Thrust-Stand/
And you go all in...
You start on it, then something shiny catches your eye and it sits on your shelf for 2 yrs.

I have one I think 80-90% and 2 blank custom PCBs and the electronics to make a few more
IMG_1539.JPG
IMG_1540.JPG
IMG_1542.JPG
IMG_1543.JPG
If anyone is interested let me know.

$40 + Shipping takes the whole lot!

Turbojoe

Elite member
That looks like a screaming deal. I wish I was even semi competent at building electronics. electronics. I'm real good at letting the smoke out though. LOL.

Joe

Bricks

Master member
That looks like a screaming deal. I wish I was even semi competent at building electronics. electronics. I'm real good at letting the smoke out though. LOL.

Joe

^^^^ Me too . I have been wanting to build an IC test stand for some time now and have not gotten that done yet.

kilroy07

Legendary member
I must admit soldering surface mount components WAS a "learning experience" (read I might have botched the first one.)
but get some solder paste (and some good "readers"/magnifying glasses) and its not that bad.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
I must admit soldering surface mount components WAS a "learning experience" (read I might have botched the first one.)
but get some solder paste (and some good "readers"/magnifying glasses) and its not that bad.
Yeah. I do a ton of soldering and now I can repair old FPV systems and such. Just recently I had to fix an old AIO FPV camera that let the magic smoke out. I had to replace a transistor.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Honestly there is more than $80 invested here, The Load cells are 10K, the Current sensors are 50A.
Just didn't have the time to figure everything out and lost interest, and "trying" to clear off the workbench.
I would suggest you read through the instructable to see what you might be getting yourself into.
;)

Turbojoe

Elite member
I thought I'd give you guys a good laugh. I cobbled my thrust stand together years ago from bits and pieces laying around and it truly shows. Shade your eyes. It's pretty ugly. I used an Eagle Tree 100 amp E-Logger V3 and Power panel to tell me watts, amps, voltage and a bunch more. I swap to whatever amp ESC and battery is needed for the motor being tested. I hook it to a digital fish scale to get thrust measurement hence the need for wheels. It works but it's not near as compact and logical as the kits being sold here. Just thought I'd show my ugly one to give everyone a good laugh..

Still wish I had the smarts to build his kits.

Joe

Attachments

• Test rig 1.jpg
    Test rig 1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Test Rig 2.jpg
    Test Rig 2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0

Hill Top Flyer

So.... You know how it is... Your starting a new hobby, you see a cool Instructiable https://www.instructables.com/Brushless-Motor-Thrust-Stand/
And you go all in...
You start on it, then something shiny catches your eye and it sits on your shelf for 2 yrs.

I have one I think 80-90% and 2 blank custom PCBs and the electronics to make a few more View attachment 205366 View attachment 205367 View attachment 205368 View attachment 205369 ...

DaveM

CEO Flite Test
And you go all in...

I have one I think 80-90% and 2 blank custom PCBs and the electronics to make a few more View attachment 205366 View attachment 205367 View attachment 205368 View attachment 205369 ...

I’m interested. Please reach out to me at dave@flitetest.com I can send you payment via PayPal. I’m interested for Flite Test as well as for my own interests. Dave