Anyone test the KK2.1 Board with 1.14SP1 Lite or Pro Firmware from Steveis.

eXsoR

I just got my kk2.1 board and have been reading that there is new and improved firmware for it and came a cross Steveis Blog. Steveis has been producing some of his own firmware and thought I ask if anyone has used it and what there thoughts on it for a Beginner and Advance User.

Thank you in advance!

For those who would like to check it out, you can find his firmware here: Steveis Blog

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I haven't bitten the bullet yet for the 2.1 yet but I've heard good things about Stevies stuff. From what I hear, it's better than we were getting from the Kaptain... :O

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Get it. flash it. Don't wait -- do it now!!!

Seriously, Steveis's ROMs are head and shoulders above the stock ROMs from Hobbyking. The same can be said of RC911's parallel "++" branch. They've both done amazing things to the ROMs, but the most amazing thing is smashing all the bugs HK left in the ROM.

eXsoR

Yeah im going to go for it i just bought a 6 Pin Usbasp from 9xrprogrammer.com and as soon as I get it I will flash it and try it out.

and sorry to say but I don't know who The Kaptain is. :p

I haven't bitten the bullet yet for the 2.1 yet but I've heard good things about Stevies stuff. From what I hear, it's better than we were getting from the Kaptain... :O

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Captain Kuk. He was right out front in the firmware department until Stevies came along. I'm not sure how true that is, it's just the way it sounds from the new board.

Malcurin

Hi im a beginner to Multirotors, and right from word one flashed to Stevis firmware on my KK2.1 and i have done No tuning to my board and it flies rock solid with the beginner firmware installed I also use the Afro 30 amp speed controllers from Hobbyking with the latest SimonK firmware on them and I guess that helps also , But i also recommend getting it and flashing it also

RedTwenty

Just to add weight to what everyone else seems to be saying - YES! YOU MUST FLASH YOUR KK2.1!
I tried to fly my tricopter with the original 1.5 firmware from HK (because I wouldn't wait for my USBasp to arrive) and just couldn't keep it in the air. Flashed it with Steveis' V1.6 and it was 100 times better.

Do it, you won't regret it :)

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Yup Yup Yup. Flew my bat bone for a week or two on the original firmware and although I though it was not too bad (coming from a complete noob) I flashed it and wow, sooooooooo much better...

DDSFlyer

I haven't flown my KK2.1's (no builds to put them on yet) but I have both of them pre-flashed with Steveis 1.12 beg FW on them and just DL'd the 1.14pro and lite to get on there. I posted on the thread in RCGroups to see which version would fit me better...not an acro mutli flier

eXsoR

What i read on the on Steveis Blog, the lite is suited for beginners and the pro is for acro.

I haven't flown my KK2.1's (no builds to put them on yet) but I have both of them pre-flashed with Steveis 1.12 beg FW on them and just DL'd the 1.14pro and lite to get on there. I posted on the thread in RCGroups to see which version would fit me better...not an acro mutli flier

4props

I have to agree, made a world of difference.

I am based in the UK and have been flashing KK2's for people free of charge for a while now, there are lot of people who are not comfortable with the concept. I also like the HobbyKing ESCs (Blue) and flash them with SimonK. Again worlds apart once in the air.

Shufty

I'm running 1.11S2 on my KK2.1 (Tricopter), works great (even with my crappy unbalanced, vibration filled props), I actually found it more stable than 1.12 beginner firmware (the extra options werent as scary as I thought they would be). Highly recommend it.

RedTwenty

I actually just flashed a brand new KK2.1 with the pro version and put it on my Talon Tricopter. In my haste to try it out I actually forgot to change ANY of the settings other than to load the motor layout and flip the rudder mix to stop it spinning.
It flew absolutely PERFECT straight out of the box - so stable it's scary.

I'm really very impressed :)

PS - Incidentally, I'm also running SimonK flashed Multistar 30A ESCs and they are awesome too!

RedTwenty

Okay, so I also flashed the board on my SK450 deadcat quad this afternoon. Again with the full pro firmware.

I tested it out in a strong breeze and it was so stable in the hover I was able to test the motor vibration on the rear arms by letting go of the TX and feeling them out as it sat there in front of me.

I am very sold on this firmware now. I reckon you'd need a pretty good excuse not to upgrade.

On that note. If there is anyone down here in Australia who isn't comfortable flashing their KK2.1 board, drop me a line and I'm sure we can work something out.

eXsoR

:D I can't wait to fly mines. I flash it but I have not had the chance of flying it yet.

Okay, so I also flashed the board on my SK450 deadcat quad this afternoon. Again with the full pro firmware.

I tested it out in a strong breeze and it was so stable in the hover I was able to test the motor vibration on the rear arms by letting go of the TX and feeling them out as it sat there in front of me.

I am very sold on this firmware now. I reckon you'd need a pretty good excuse not to upgrade.

On that note. If there is anyone down here in Australia who isn't comfortable flashing their KK2.1 board, drop me a line and I'm sure we can work something out.