Anyone wanna help on next plane choice AND really likes to read?

PropHawk

I have a question or two I would like to ask. If u dont read a lot and aren't interested in my hobby history, details to my ?s and reading my other ramblings, I'm giving you chance to click out of this post and ask you not be rude or toxic with mean comments about me having no life and too much time(which r most true BTW but I don't need reminding)....
I fly FPV and line of site quadcopters and feel I'm a fair to decent pilot while using no flight controller assist (acro mode). I also use quad racing sims to keep the "muscle memory" when i cant or dont want leave my cabin to fly. I also fly a couple of cheap/free fixed wing sims using my tethered FrSky X9lite. Not just because of the simulator but understanding the way the controls and aero control works helps me to feel as if I could fly a trainer or a basic "top wing" 3/4 ch plane in good conditions with a decent level of control after its airborne and ive had a few minutes of practise and I learn the response levels for each axis. I've only flown fixed wing once for about 30 seconds. I did this with a 3CH FT Storch I built with my own wing design. The plane has a Flite Test Storch foam board fuselage built to plans. The wing on the other hand has near the same span but with 12" of foil area at the tips that's polyhedral for stability and 3ch operation. I could have accidently designed it too well and fooled myself into thinking I can actually pilot an RC plane. With 30yrs RC car racing, drone building and flying, and also plane building, research and sim flying I feel a tiny trainer or a super basic and control limiting plane would not be my best 1st experience with fixed wing. I want a single aircraft that is always the same to fly as I learn and prepare for a much more intricate and expensive plane for my dream of someday making friends in real life in which I am able to fly with and share ideas. Ok, so you know I can build basic foam planes and add the radio/power components. I would like suggestions on the next plane I NEED to build(I've built 11-12 foam planes and started a dozen more) which I will fully equip, paint and prep to teach myself how to pilot fixed wing RC(built many, partially flew only 1) using line of sight AND fpv. I'll add analog FPV(Foxeer mini cam,eachine vtx) during build or soon after the maiden. I have been wanting to learn fixed wing for a while and finally bought the remainder of parts for a "serious about flying it" build. I hope to use some of these used components also..... FrSky(xr4r? used in the plane mentioned above), X9lite Tx, my available motors are; 2406 2450kv, 1406 4000kv, 1104 ?kv, and an older parkzone monster that could have damage. I have bought a new 25amp ESC, proper servo extensions and Ys just in case, 10 sheets Adams foam board, and five 9g servos. I should be ready to build almost any FT plane as well as other RC community designs that use primarily foam board. I have multiple motors of same size and a couple of 4n1 25a ESCs I have been wanting to try in a plane but have never seen any1 do it but never been able learn why not. If the difficulty lvl stays low-mid I would like to build a twin with the 1404 4000kv motors on 3"-5" tri-blades. Do you think the FT twin(cant remember name)that resembles a Cub would be too advanced in build/flight? I know the cruiser?? or sportster?? FT has looks very fast for my skill set of a tiny bit. How about building the Cub or a half size Storch witf wing mounted power pods sized down to fit the smaller motors but can handle the thrust from 2 high RPM 3"-5" tri blades on a craft with a lot of drag. I am excited to hear what you have say about my ideas as well as your suggestions on what to build. For simplicity, least probability of frustration, least expense, time and learning curve I will gladly and quickly use and single engine trainer plane suggestion if someone feels I can get what I hope to get and its a plane I will be excited to fly not just building and flying to learn the basics of building and flying

Flyingshark

Master member
The Tiny Trainer is always one of the first people recommend. I see you've sort of already decided against it, but I've heard it's a very capable plane. Just gradually move the CG back, and you can do more aerobatics. I think a Sportster, or maybe a Simple Scout would also be good choices. I don't know if the FT Legacy (Cub-like 1-3 motor plane) will run on 1404 motors, but I'd guess probably not. There's only one way to find out! :) Maybe a very, light Mini Cruiser could work with that setup?

I guess I'd recommend you try to build an FT design of some sort (probably a high-wing one, they tend to be more stable) and get some flight time on it, before moving into experimental planes you've come up with, just so you can get more practice and learn a little about what a plane "should" feel like.

I'll leave it to others to really fully address, but 25A ESC for a 2406 2450kv motor?

One specific question:
What batteries do you have? This is crucial to determining the size of plane you might want to build, just 'cause a Mighty Mini probably wouldn't fly with a big heavy 3s or 4s. The wing loading would just be too high.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose to build! I hope this post is helpful somehow. :)

Scary

Out of 6 ft planes I have built ,the simple scout is great. Can't say enough how good it is good all around very stable, good beginner plane

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I have a question or two I would like to ask. If u dont read a lot and aren't interested in my hobby history, details to my ?s and reading my other ramblings, I'm giving you chance to click out of this post and ask you not be rude or toxic with mean comments about me having no life and too much time(which r most true BTW but I don't need reminding)....
I fly FPV and line of site quadcopters and feel I'm a fair to decent pilot while using no flight controller assist (acro mode). I also use quad racing sims to keep the "muscle memory" when i cant or dont want leave my cabin to fly. I also fly a couple of cheap/free fixed wing sims using my tethered FrSky X9lite. Not just because of the simulator but understanding the way the controls and aero control works helps me to feel as if I could fly a trainer or a basic "top wing" 3/4 ch plane in good conditions with a decent level of control after its airborne and ive had a few minutes of practise and I learn the response levels for each axis. I've only flown fixed wing once for about 30 seconds. I did this with a 3CH FT Storch I built with my own wing design. The plane has a Flite Test Storch foam board fuselage built to plans. The wing on the other hand has near the same span but with 12" of foil area at the tips that's polyhedral for stability and 3ch operation. I could have accidently designed it too well and fooled myself into thinking I can actually pilot an RC plane. With 30yrs RC car racing, drone building and flying, and also plane building, research and sim flying I feel a tiny trainer or a super basic and control limiting plane would not be my best 1st experience with fixed wing. I want a single aircraft that is always the same to fly as I learn and prepare for a much more intricate and expensive plane for my dream of someday making friends in real life in which I am able to fly with and share ideas. Ok, so you know I can build basic foam planes and add the radio/power components. I would like suggestions on the next plane I NEED to build(I've built 11-12 foam planes and started a dozen more) which I will fully equip, paint and prep to teach myself how to pilot fixed wing RC(built many, partially flew only 1) using line of sight AND fpv. I'll add analog FPV(Foxeer mini cam,eachine vtx) during build or soon after the maiden. I have been wanting to learn fixed wing for a while and finally bought the remainder of parts for a "serious about flying it" build. I hope to use some of these used components also..... FrSky(xr4r? used in the plane mentioned above), X9lite Tx, my available motors are; 2406 2450kv, 1406 4000kv, 1104 ?kv, and an older parkzone monster that could have damage. I have bought a new 25amp ESC, proper servo extensions and Ys just in case, 10 sheets Adams foam board, and five 9g servos. I should be ready to build almost any FT plane as well as other RC community designs that use primarily foam board. I have multiple motors of same size and a couple of 4n1 25a ESCs I have been wanting to try in a plane but have never seen any1 do it but never been able learn why not. If the difficulty lvl stays low-mid I would like to build a twin with the 1404 4000kv motors on 3"-5" tri-blades. Do you think the FT twin(cant remember name)that resembles a Cub would be too advanced in build/flight? I know the cruiser?? or sportster?? FT has looks very fast for my skill set of a tiny bit. How about building the Cub or a half size Storch witf wing mounted power pods sized down to fit the smaller motors but can handle the thrust from 2 high RPM 3"-5" tri blades on a craft with a lot of drag. I am excited to hear what you have say about my ideas as well as your suggestions on what to build. For simplicity, least probability of frustration, least expense, time and learning curve I will gladly and quickly use and single engine trainer plane suggestion if someone feels I can get what I hope to get and its a plane I will be excited to fly not just building and flying to learn the basics of building and flying
What prop do you run on the 2406 motors, and how much thrust do they put out? They would fly something in between a mini and standard sized plane. In fact, I designed an F7F Tigercat that makes for a great trainer - I can send you the plans if you're interested.