AP Eazy Ducted Fan (50mm EDF Trainer)

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
STATUS: The maiden flight was successfully completed and the BETA-plan is published!

The AP Eazy Ducted Fan is a EDF Trainer that works with every 50mm EDF unit.
Once in the air, it is a breeze to fly, it is responsive but without any vices and the landings are easy.
Look for yourself:

SPECS:
WINGSPAN: 1000 mm | 39.37 in
ALL UP WEIGHT: 400 g | 14.11 oz (with 3s 1000 mAh)
CHANNELS: 4 (THR | AIL | ELV | RUD)
EDF: HK 50mm Alloy EDF 4800kv 3s (minimum)

DOWNLOAD:
ap_eazy_ducted_fan_plan.jpg

DOWNLOAD FREE BUILD PLAN

PICTURES:
800x500_ap_eazy_df_101_i.jpg

800x500_ap_eazy_df_102_i.jpg

Last edited:

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Awesome work Airc, I love how it takes off from the ground like the grunjet. Quick question how EAZY (sorry):p would it be to make the prop and edf pod interchangeable so that I could have one airframe that could fly off an edf and a prop?

Reactions: DWM

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
Thank you, but without your Grunjet I wouldn't have thought of it! So thank you very much for your inspiration! ;)

By the way, you can read my mind! I started with this thought, but then I thought, who uses such a thing?
Here are the parts for the EDF assembly, which can replace the Power Pod nacelle:

AP_Eazy_DF_EDF_Parts_00.JPG

AP_Eazy_DF_EDF_Parts_01.JPG

AP_Eazy_DF_EDF_Parts_02.JPG

The problem is of course the detachable fixing of both variants. Two BBQ-Skewers and FoamBoard will not withstand the loads in the long run. Maybe with a plastic reinforcement?!?

You could also slide the two drive units on with the wooden hooks, which I used to fix the top cover of the Rascal Racer, if you then hold it in position with a BBQ stick, it should work.

rascal_003_connection_i.jpg

However, such a solution is nothing for rookies to our hobby. That's why I've published two separate plans.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Thank you, but without your Grunjet I wouldn't have thought of it! So thank you very much for your inspiration! ;)

By the way, you can read my mind! I started with this thought, but then I thought, who uses such a thing?
Here are the parts for the EDF assembly, which can replace the Power Pod nacelle:

View attachment 104357

View attachment 104355

View attachment 104356

The problem is of course the detachable fixing of both variants. Two BBQ-Skewers and FoamBoard will not withstand the loads in the long run. Maybe with a plastic reinforcement?!?

You could also slide the two drive units on with the wooden hooks, which I used to fix the top cover of the Rascal Racer, if you then hold it in position with a BBQ stick, it should work.

rascal_003_connection_i.jpg

However, such a solution is nothing for rookies to our hobby. That's why I've published two separate plans.

Okay, cool I think I'll try something after I finish my D.520:D

donalson

would something like this work... essentially strengthening the skewer hole with some gift cards... note I found I had to scratch up the back of the card before gluing it...

jpot1

Elite member
Maiden today. Flew great. This was my first EDF and had a little trouble with the launch. Needed quite a bit of up elevator and a hard toss. Once up super smooth and with a crazy long glide slope. Flew three batteries through. Time for some color!

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
@Lester

Check the filepages for sorting your printed pages. In order to glue the pages together properly, you need to cut off some of the outer edges at the markings. Sheet 1 of 2 consists of the (file-)pages:

4 5 6 7 8 (cut of the left edges of pages 5 to 8)
9 10 11 12 13 (cut of the top edges of pages 9 to 13 and the left edges of pages 10 to 13)
14 15 16 17 18 (cut of the top edges of pages 14 to 17 and the left edges of pages 15 to 18)

Sheet 2 of 2 consists of the (file-)pages:

19 20 21 22 23 (cut of the left edges of pages 20 to 23)
24 25 26 27 28 (cut of the top edges of pages 24 to 28 and the left edges of pages 25 to 28)
29 30 31 32 33 (cut of the top edges of pages 29 to 33 and the left edges of pages 30 to 33)

Use a ruler and a cutter (on a cut-resistant surface). Check the match of the markings. If the markings do not match, check your printer. Then you can apply glue with a glue stick to the outer edge that you did not cut off and glue the sheet with the cut outer side here.

DWM

Very cool concept, I've been looking at EDF's for some time now and been put off by the complexity and cost. But between this design and the cheap import EDF's available I'll give it a go.😁

tomlogan1

Nice design. Thinking about making it a 3 channel with a polyhedral wing. I have the Grunjet for rolls & spins and thought this would be a more relaxing type of flight albeit faster and safer than props. Would you increase the rudder size?

Thanks.