AP Goshawk 50mm EDF

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
Well, we just got the Rascal Racer in optimization. The Goshark project is still on hold. We've tested different wings: FT folded in scale, KFm2 and FT folded with a wingspan of 70mm. The most stable wing is the FT folded wing with 70mm wingspan, but this is not scale! In addition, we have only tested the 50 mm EDF units from Hobbyking so far. The 50mm EDF unit from FMS is currently not available. As soon as we have this EDF unit, this project continues - i promise! After all, i have the decals ready! I could put together a BETA plan for you with the latest parts, if you don't want to wait. ;)

Bobii

Hi,

Would it be possible to get the v4 plans ? I have a FMS 50mm fan doing nothing :)

Many thanks,

Bob

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
After receiving my 50mm 4s FMS EDF unit, I started this project all over again. The basis for this are these three views of the T-45 Goshawk:

ap_goshawk_900.jpg

I built the model out of Flite Test Water-Resistant Foam Board and sanded it:

ap_goshawk_920.jpg

Then I sprayed it with white paint and applied hand-cut decals made of self-adhesive foil. Here is the result:

ap_goshawk_921.jpg

It's even got a rudder! The wingspan is 660 mm (25.98 in).

ap_goshawk_922.jpg

Here are a few weight indications:
  • Without battery: 388 g (13.69 oz)
  • With 850mAh 4s battery: 484 g (17.07 oz)
  • With a 2200mAh 4s battery: 641 g (22.61 oz)
Now the maiden flight is imminent. :cool:

xinyue722

V0.3:

View attachment 93869

I replaced the two 5g servos with one 9g servo and a 2mm linkage stopper.

View attachment 93868

I have already prepared some decals:

View attachment 93860

In the search for the decals I found this awesome "Goshawk Ball" video:

V0.3 had enough thrust with the Hobbyking 50mm Alloy EDF V2 4200kv.
Unfortunately, it got strong side wind and was not interceptable. The result does not look good. :(

View attachment 93859

V0.4:
I am currently building V0.4. The rear part is no longer so angular and the air intakes are closer to the original.

View attachment 93861

View attachment 93862

View attachment 93863

View attachment 93864

Now it needs a new canopy and a wing, then it goes to the next test flight.
I will enlarge the wingspan from 610 to 700mm, let's see how it flies with it.
V0.3:

View attachment 93869

I replaced the two 5g servos with one 9g servo and a 2mm linkage stopper.

View attachment 93868

I have already prepared some decals:

View attachment 93860

In the search for the decals I found this awesome "Goshawk Ball" video:

V0.3 had enough thrust with the Hobbyking 50mm Alloy EDF V2 4200kv.
Unfortunately, it got strong side wind and was not interceptable. The result does not look good. :(

View attachment 93859

V0.4:
I am currently building V0.4. The rear part is no longer so angular and the air intakes are closer to the original.

View attachment 93861

View attachment 93862

View attachment 93863

View attachment 93864

Now it needs a new canopy and a wing, then it goes to the next test flight.
I will enlarge the wingspan from 610 to 700mm, let's see how it flies with it.
Hi AircPirateNinsei,

Could you please send me the v0.4 plan, I really like your design. I want to try to change to push version.

thanks,

Erix

Try-n-glide

What a cool plane. I hope the plans get published.

I've been reading up on EDF design because I'm scratch building one also. One thing you might consider is intake size. It looks adequate, but you can test a "cheater" hole on the belly in front of the edf to see if it is starving for air on the intake side.

My ideal for FT would be a new edf design like yours that is simpler to scratch build than the Viggen. I downloaded the plans and beside the fact that the cut lines didn't line up it was so complicated I decided it would be easier to design from scratch. Also Banggood has a 64mm 3s unit for $15! If it works half decent that would make a perfect cheap starter edf.

Keep us updated, I love your design - simple yet elegant.

Hayday

Any chance you could send the most up to date plans? Brit here who's a rather big fan of the Red Arrows, and looking for a new project! (It looks gorgeous from the the pics)