AP Kwak - the Mighty Mini Foam Board Mod of the Jupiter Duck

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
AP Kwak ... the Mighty Mini Foam Board Mod of the Jupiter Duck

kwak_plan-209x300.jpg

Build the Kwak and use your existing Mini Power Pod! You need two sheets of Foam Board.

Build Plan
DOWNLOAD FREE BUILD PLAN

Video
Here is a video of the maiden flight.

Description
The Kwak based on the Jupiter Duck designed by Thomas Buchwald.
I saw this funny plane in the "Modell AVIATOR", a german RC Flight Magazine.

The plan for the original depron build is available here: http://modell-aviator.de/files/av0217_downloadplan_jupiter_duck.pdf

The original Jupiter Duck is made of depron, but i wanted one made of FT Water-Resistant Foam Board, which works with the FT Power Pack A or F and is ready for 3S. So i decided to adapting the plan, to making some modifications and the result is the Kwak.

Pictures
800x554_kwak_001.jpg

800x554_kwak_002.jpg

800x554_kwak_003.jpg

800x554_kwak_004.jpg

800x554_kwak_005.jpg

800x554_kwak_006.jpg

800x554_kwak_007.jpg

Have fun! :cool:

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That looks pretty cool. Its like a water version of the FT Old Fogey kind of. Looks like you did a nice clean conversion from depron to FT water board. GL with the maiden looking forward to the videos.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Cool man, I was just eyeballing a twin version of this thing not too far back. Think it was on RC groups.

Looks like you did a good job with the weight. I'm betting this thing will really rocket around.

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
Thank you all! I would like to thank the designer of the Jupiter Duck!
I added the video of the maiden flight and the link to the build plan to the first post.

Cool man, I was just eyeballing a twin version of this thing not too far back. ...

I am building a twin version soon - i will call it the Kwak-Kwak. ;)
Now i am working on a sticker set!

... Think it was on RC groups. ...

Could be here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2790224-Jupiter-Duck-Flying-boat

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
That is AWESOME! Nice work on the plans too, they look great. I've been working on a format for a part list for the Flite Test plans for a while now. I really like yours and will likely borrow that format. ;)

The Kwak Kwak looks like it will be a rocket ship!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
My younger brother is learning how to fly he's flown a old fogey with success, but he now needs something a bit faster, more aerobatic, and a bit less stable. So does this plane have the characteristics that will suit his needs?
thanks.

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
That is AWESOME! Nice work on the plans too, they look great.

A big THANK YOU to you for your work! I like your drawing key and your template, so i adapted them for my plans. We all build with the same stuff, so why we schould not have standards for the drawing key and the template.;)

I've been working on a format for a part list for the Flite Test plans for a while now. I really like yours and will likely borrow that format.

I am pleased to have made a small contribution to the parts list, even if it is only a summary of the individual part description you have created. The idea for the parts list was born as the Godai's plan was getting more and more parts. I needed a summary to keep the overview. I'm still thinking about splitting this build plan. In the meantime, the Godai has three wing variants, three undercarriage variants, and currently I test a dual engine variant. All in one is a very huge plan.

My younger brother is learning how to fly he's flown a old fogey with success, but he now needs something a bit faster, more aerobatic, and a bit less stable. So does this plane have the characteristics that will suit his needs?
thanks.

I do not think so, because the Kwak's flight behavior is very close to the Old Fogey. Your brothers next plane should be a 4-channel model with ailerons. The FT Tiny Trainer would certainly be a good choice. Also the FT Explorer is recommended. Alternative and somewhat smaller I could recommend the AP Sperber (800 mm). Also my current build - the AP Godai with (1000 mm) - comes into consideration. It even has three wing variants. A rookie wing with dihedral (3ch), a straight trainer wing with ailerons (4ch) and a straight STOL wing with ailerons and flaps (5ch). When you mount the wings with rubber (proven FT method), the Godai even grows with the skills of his pilot. In addition, it can be built as a belly lander or with a landing gear, floats or skis. The build plan of the single-engine version is finished. Actually i am thinking about adding a dual engine variant. If you are interested, send me a PM and I will send you the link to the build plan of the godai.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I do not think so, because the Kwak's flight behavior is very close to the Old Fogey. Your brothers next plane should be a 4-channel model with ailerons. The FT Tiny Trainer would certainly be a good choice. Also the FT Explorer is recommended. Alternative and somewhat smaller I could recommend the AP Sperber (800 mm). Also my current build - the AP Godai with (1000 mm) - comes into consideration. It even has three wing variants. A rookie wing with dihedral (3ch), a straight trainer wing with ailerons (4ch) and a straight STOL wing with ailerons and flaps (5ch). When you mount the wings with rubber (proven FT method), the Godai even grows with the skills of his pilot. In addition, it can be built as a belly lander or with a landing gear, floats or skis. The build plan of the single-engine version is finished. Actually i am thinking about adding a dual engine variant. If you are interested, send me a PM and I will send you the link to the build plan of the godai.

Okay I thougt it might be a bit too basic but yeah, I was thinking a 4 ch instead but your sperber caught my attention, so he gets to choose between a tiny trainer or the sperber but, anyway thanks again.

T-Richard

simple, straightforward, weatherproof .... I am sold.
I saw the kwak kwak but the one motor option here seems easier for me.

I am currently building the pietenpol with basic foamboard and tape but that's not ideal for the snowy weather here, may just maiden it and keep it for summer.

I'll build when my wp ft foamboard comes in... only took 12 weeks last time :( so many builds on hold because of this, and the local foamboard is getting worse and worse.

Last edited:

Vstromed

I just finished cutting out the parts to this one. Great job on the fit! Should not take long to glue it together.

dantheman

Waiting on a ESC to come in, but hope to fly it this week. Went together really easily.

IMG_7505.JPG IMG_7506.JPG

I think it is missing something. Windows and a black line seperating the silver and red possibly?

xMeox

Nice design dantheman! Yeah windows would look great for sure.

Im thinking about a slow flying plane for a micro fpv setup and this bird came to mind. Plenty of space to mount it, no prop infront and not as exposed as on an arrow. Seems pretty damn good too me. Any thoughts? ;)

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
It looks too cute and simple. How can we not build it?

Snowball, your going to have to make some room.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
AIRC Pirates - you've done it again... This is cartoony squished sea duck is adorable. Looks like it flies well.

xMeox - I agree the front hatch is perfect for micro FPV.

In that vein, I was listening to a Quad podcast (either FreefallRC or Quadtalk) and they had the owner/founder of GetFPV on. He (Tim Nilson?, corrections welcome) was talking about rigging up the Mini FPV cameras on a magnetic mounted platform. He connects the power and signal from the camera leads to the magnets, and then the aircraft has the receiving magnets, connected to the rest of the FPV system. He said it does 2 things, during a good hit it'll come off, second it make easy to changeout or move around. Simple genius. I Think I will be trying this FPV move on the AP Sea Duck I'm building.

I want to build this Kwak so my son and I can fly.

Has anyone tried this?