AP Kwak - the Mighty Mini Foam Board Mod of the Jupiter Duck

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
… I'll build when my wp ft foamboard comes in...
I hope you will like it! A picture of your build would be great.

… Great job on the fit! Should not take long to glue it together.
Thank you! Please share a picture of your Kwak.

… I think it is missing something. Windows and a black line seperating the silver and red possibly?
Silver and red is an interesting color combination. I like it! :applause:

Windows are now available at AP Kwak Downloads
You can choose between two grey and blue designs:
kwak_windows_collection.jpg

It looks too cute and simple. How can we not build it?
This is what i was thinking as i saw it in the magazine!

AIRC Pirates - you've done it again...
Thank you!

dantheman

Well, it ran just fine on the water, but I didn't have enough throw on the elevator and crashed it nicely into the bank. Glued the float back on and hope to put it in the air again today.

I am going to use the black with square windows. That looks sharp! Thanks!

dantheman

IMG_7674.JPG

Windows on! Also, some nice road rash where it landed it nose first into some sidewalk around our pond. I seem to have a bad habit of flipping it upside down in the water as well. . . .

dantheman

Thanks for making them! I love this little plane.

I will try those floats. A bit more length should help. Look more streamlined as well.

ericemn

Construction

The maiden flight is already in sight! ;)

Were there any problems with the construction?

No, no problems really. I haven't glued the wing on as one side seems a bit higher than the other. I may try to trim a bit off the top of the cabin.

Also, I'm using a motor I had on hand, a Hextronic 24g 1500kv. Acquired a prop adapter and 3 blade prop to fit. Hoping that goes well... Moving the power pod back because the motor mount and the addition of the prop adapter made that assembly too long...
2017-05-23_15-57-29.jpg

Hoping to take the Kwak with me on vacation Friday, to see my daughter and son-in-law out in CO. I think my son-in-law would get a kick out of seeing the maiden...

Thanks for your designs... :)

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
You should cut the power pod nacelle on the front edge of the wing and glue a longer part on it. Then the Hextronic engine fits also well and you don´t have to position the battery at the maximum front to have the optimum center of gravity.
In addition, you can use a divided windshield if the propeller is further ahead. For a better look! :cool:

I created a BETA-Plan, you should try. Please check your PM for download.

ericemn

Finished

I finished the Kwak (thanks for the beta parts AircPirateNinsei) so I will take it on vacation and maiden it with my son-in-law. Should be fun!
IMG_20170525_010019454_Medium.jpg

Gazoo

I just put the airframe together last night. It looks really neat. I used the newer white DTFB. I can post some pics soon. A few questions is someone would be willing to answer:

1. I sealed all of the seams using the "glob some glue on and smear it in with folded scrap foam" method. Will a few coats of Minwax be enough to waterproof it?

2. I'm assuming that the servos are glued into place on both the inside of the fuselage plate and the horizontal plate. Is there a specific dimension? As far forward or back or center? 9g servos used. Should I have not glued the wing in place before the servos?

BTW. I really like the construction. The internal plates make the fuselage very rigid.

Gazoo

OMG...I totally feel like an idiot. I'll just have to glue the servos where it says "Glue Servo Here".

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Also, I'm using a motor I had on hand, a Hextronic 24g 1500kv. Acquired a prop adapter and 3 blade prop to fit. Hoping that goes well... Moving the power pod back because the motor mount and the addition of the prop adapter made that assembly too long...
View attachment 87985

Such a classic motor! The 'blue wonder' as FT would commonly describe back in the day. Still one of my most used motors; it's been through a lot of experimental builds and crashes.

Gazoo

The Kwak assembled and waiting for the Minwax treatment.

20170606_061655.jpg
Will two coats of Minwax seal it up enough to run on water?

20170606_061714.jpg

Last edited:

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
The Kwak assembled and waiting for the Minwax treatment. ... Will two coats of Minwax seal it up enough to run on water?

Nice build! :applause:
I am sorry but I have no experience with minwax. For waterplanes i use the FT Water Resistant Foam Board.
But i will try a build with regular white Foam Board and Plasti Dip.

Please share the all up weight of your build.

And please take a look in post #23 of this thread and use another two BBQ Skewers (Part Nr. 24: PONTOON PYLON SUPPORT) to support the pontoon to the rear.

Gazoo

Got it. I'll put some support skewers in.

BTW, the weight of the bare air frame as it sits (no electronics) it 180g. I will post weights as I continue to build.

And, thanks for the plans. Well done.