• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

AP Mini Argus (FT Power Pack A | swappable)

Here I present you the little brother of Argus, the Mini Argus (prototype) with only 650 mm (25.59 in) wingspan.

ap_mini_argus_001.jpg
ap_mini_argus_002.jpg

You will only need one sheet Flite Test Water-Resistant Foam Board By Adams (20 x 30 in) and a Flite Test Power Pack A (or compatible electronics) for the build. Since I only have one FT WR Foam Board sheet left, which I still need to finish the Thunderbolt, I had to use Airplac Premier Foamboard, which unfortunately has considerably more weight. The AUW of my Mini Argus with a 2s 950mAh Turnigy nano-tech battery is 265 g (9.35 oz). If you build the Mini Argus with Flite Test Water-Resistant Foam Board By Adams, you will save about 44 g (1.55 oz) and get far below the magic 250 g (8.82 oz) limit. The Mini Argus has a KFm4-airfoil, which is a good choice for aerobatic planes. I'm looking forward to the maiden flight! :cool:

BATTLEAXE

I agree with @Merv it is a great looking plane, It does look like it would be a good design for sport aerobatics and It's impressive you can do it all with one sheet of FB. Have you maidened it yet?

Given it has a symmetrical wing it could be good for 3D as well, move the aileron hinge line forward by 1-1.5" and enlarge the control surfaces in the tail and you might be onto something. Gives the builder versatility for the type of flying they choose.

Do you have pdf plans for it?

I just finished cutting out the parts. The assembly looks fairly straight forward, but I do have one question. The plans show a skewer and a wire to tie the elevator sides together. How do they fit together with the elevator?
I did make one small mod while cutting out the foam, I increased the rudder size by 25%. The rudder looked like the original size to me, and CL stunt planes typically went with smallest vertical stab that would keep the aircraft tracking straight in the turns. And I can always cut it down if it is to big.
Thanks hope it flies as good as it looks.

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
With the BBQ-Skewer (part #5 - H-STAB REINFORCEMENT) you strengthen the horozontal stabilizer. Just glue it in the cavity area. Glue the steel wire (part #4 - ELEVATOR COMBINER) into the two score cuts of the elevators to connect them. That's it. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the construction of the Mini Argus. Here are a few pictures (from the larger Argus which has a double layer H-STAB):

IMG_7763.JPG
IMG_7766.JPG
IMG_7768.JPG
Good luck with the maiden flight. I haven't made it yet.

With the BBQ-Skewer (part #5 - H-STAB REINFORCEMENT) you strengthen the horozontal stabilizer. Just glue it in the cavity area. Glue the steel wire (part #4 - ELEVATOR COMBINER) into the two score cuts of the elevators to connect them. That's it. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the construction of the Mini Argus. Here are a few pictures (from the larger Argus which has a double layer H-STAB):

View attachment 153510
View attachment 153512
View attachment 153513
Good luck with the maiden flight. I haven't made it yet.
Thank you for the clarification. The plans showed the skewer that strengthens the horizontal stabilizer, and what I thought looked like a second skewer running beside the wire that joins the two halves of the elevator. From your pictures I see that it is a cutout allowing the wire joining the elevator to pivot freely. MiniArgusTail.jpg You will probably be able to maiden your Mini-Argus first, I live on the wet side of Oregon. We have had 3 inches (8 cm) of rain since the beginning of the year, and they are forecasting rain and snow for the next 10 days. Fishhawk_01-06-20.jpg

Nice lake lot, hard to tell but is that supposed to be a pier that goes out to the raft?
Our dock, which is normally 9 inches above water, is directly inline with the patio boat and about 3 inches under water. The stuff just to the right, is just debris that the wind has blown against the pilings on the right side of the dock.

If I am seeing this right in the photos and plans, this appears to be symmetrical airfoil -- is this correct? If so, this design might be exactly what I have been looking for -- a simple to build, mid-wing symmetrical airfoil, for a PowerPack A (or maybe even an F) to learn acrobatics on. This looks really nice!