AP Rascal Racer (1000 mm | 39.37 in)

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
Here is the larger version of the Rascal Racer with a wingspan of 1000 mm or 39.37 in.

Scaling up the parts was easy but adjusting them back to the thickness of DTFB took some time.
The result is a BETA plan. I still have to test the thrust angle, that is the reason for the BETA-plan.
The prototype is ready for the maiden flight.

rrl_01_i.jpg

This version has a rudder.

rrl_02_i.jpg

Specs
Wingspan: 1.000 mm | 39.37 in
Center of Gravity (CG): 37 mm | 1.46 in
Length: 690 mm | 27.17 in
Weight (without Battery): 452 g | 15.95 oz
Weight (with Battery): 690 g | 24.34 oz (4S 2200 mAh)
Expo: 30 %
Channels: 4 (Throttle | Ailerons | Elevator | Rudder)

The weight of the brushless motor is only 70 g, so the rudder and elevator servos must be placed near to the front.

rrl_03_i.jpg

Electronics – Test Setup
Motor: 2836-1100kv
Propeller: 7×4.5
ESC: 40 A 4S
Servos: 4 x 9 g (HXT900 or TGY-1800A)
Battery: 2200 mAh 4S

Build Plan – BETA Version
DOWNLOAD FREE BUILD PLAN

If you want a smaller version, look here: AP Rascal Racer (700 mm | 27.56 in)

Last edited:

planebreaker2000

Plans printed and the build can start soon. I really like the looks of this plane, and the plans look great. Thanks again for the upsized plans. I know that doing that is a lot of work.

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
The maiden flight was successful, but the rudder had no effect! It is too slim.
I enlarged the rudder area and updated the BETA Plan (PART 13 - VERTICAL STABILIZER).
Please use this updated part!

The Rascal flies with the electronic test setup super straight - the thrust angle is right! :D

The motor power is sufficient, but it's not a Racer with this motor. You can fly comfortably at half throttle.
With the larger rudder it makes a huge curve.

Last edited:

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
There is lot of space in the fuselage. I think i'm going to build a 1000B and reduce the width of the fuselage to 55mm and the height to 50mm without cover. The width of the nose will be only 45mm, perfect for a 45mm spinner. However, the brushless motor would not be interchangeable!

viggen

I really want to build this plane.but my local print shop says its to big to print,they have printed the ft,racer,spitfire,explorer with no problems.can you make a tiled versions,or change the lay out?

Thanks

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
I really want to build this plane.but my local print shop says its to big to print,they have printed the ft,racer,spitfire,explorer with no problems.can you make a tiled versions,or change the lay out?

Thanks

No problem, i added different formats. Look here: http://airc-pirates.com/en_US/ap-rascal-racer-1000/

And i updated the BETA Plan (PART 25 - THROW GAUGE).

If someone needs a different format, please contact me! :cool:

Last edited:

planebreaker2000

So, I cut out all the parts and it went pretty fast. I started gluing everything together , and that went fast. After 2 hours of working on it I have an airframe ready for electronics. Great design as everything looks to fit nicely.

mactek

So, I cut out all the parts and it went pretty fast. I started gluing everything together , and that went fast. After 2 hours of working on it I have an airframe ready for electronics. Great design as everything looks to fit nicely.

Wondering how it flew after you got it built. Do you have any video of it flying.

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
Are you still using the Orange receiver in the first photo? I do not trust those under any circumstances. Even some other Orange models with satellites and diversity have trouble.

skymaster

Elite member
nice plane

i like your plane so much that i had to try and build it my way. awesome plane by the way. so i downloaded your plans and tried to do it my way, but the problem i have is that the smallest scale that i can get it nice and clean is at a 54 inch wing span what electric set up would you put on it. i ended up printing and tile the 1000 one. still in the works.

Last edited:

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
Hi skymaster

I am glad to hear that! :D

54 inch is 1372 mm, which is then already a size where you should weigh the weight of the possible brushless motor while respecting the scaled center of gravity when you have finished the model and installed all the electronics and the battery. Maybe a 100g engine with a 50A ESC will fit, like the DYS D3536 1450KV 2-4S brushless motor. With a correct lipo position, a 70g motor could also work with a 40A ESC. The battery should have at least 4S. Good thing is at this size there should be plenty of space for CG optimisation by repositioning all the electronic parts in the fuselage too. And you should include a wood or carbon rod into the wing. This is definitely recommended at this size.