Aqua-Star by Herr Engineering, Balsa Build Along Build Thread

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Another project was waiting for me when I got home from work today! Condition as shipped from Balsa USA was 100% perfect with the box packed in a bigger box and padded with old newspaper (isn't ALL newspaper "old" these days?). So far all I've done is do a quick inspection to make sure everything arrived in good shape, and then it was placed off to the side to wait it's turn in line AFTER the Mountain Models EVA Bipe and some more work on the big L-19.

Reading over the details on the box Herr Engineering is setting the bar kind of high saying they've got the "World Finest Laser Cut parts". We'll see how it compares to MM, which is well known for having very high quality cutting (and engineering & flying kits). They also say it's got a "Big 42 1/2" Wingspan". We have different ideas on what "big" is, but for a 1/2 A kit it's nice size. Specs call for a nitro engine, although mine will be electric powered. Some people also convert it from 3 channel to 4, but the plan right now is to just go with it as designed.

One more week and it's GAME ON! :)

IMG_3676.JPG

N4RF

That's an interesting set up with a tractor motor on top of a rubber band attached wing. I'll be interested in seeing how it goes together and, yeah, 42" is small for the adjective "big".

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Construction won't start until I finish the EVA Bipe, but that won't stop me from checking out this kit a little bit in the meantime. Instructions are all text, no pictures, but it's a fairly easy design and hopefully that won't cause any problems. The instructions are all in English, which is darn nice. The quality of the laser cutting is extremely good. Like the Telemaster and the Mountain Models kits I've built, Herr Engineering doesn't skimp on the quality.

Now hopefully it builds and flies as well as it's cut! :)