AR Drone 3.0 - Parrot Bebop Preview

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

Josh Bixler and Dave Knop are in Orlando, Florida today covering the releasing of the new Parrot "Bebop Drone". Featuring a 14 MP camera, 180-degree FOV fish-eye lens, 3-axis digital image-stabilization, Oculus Rift input, and much more.

bebop-drone-1-jpg_1400105583.jpg

bebop-drone-4-jpg_1400105591.jpg

It seems like the core of the technology in the 3.0 is the in camera stabilization of the image. Instead of using a gimbal with gyros and motors to stabilize the camera body, the image is stabilized by taking an HD frame of the screen and stabilizing within the camera signal.

bebop-drone-5-jpg_1400105594.jpg

bebop-drone-6-jpg_1400105596.jpg

bebop-drone-7-jpg_1400105598.jpg

bebop-drone-8-jpg_1400105601.jpg

bebop-drone-9-jpg_1400105604.jpg

Check out the episode for more details. The moment this hits the market we will be sure to bring you a full review. If you haven't already, subscribe to our YouTube page to get the update when it is released!

Facts & Specs
14 Mega pixel camera with 3 axis stabilization.
Stabilization is executed by GPU
Lens correction is achieved by GPU
1080p Video window
180 dgree vertical view
120 degree horizonal view
Camera point of view is directional

Saftey features:
Plastic propellers
Shock detection
Emergency mode

Wi-Fi
802.11 b,g,n,ac
26 dBM
MIMO
2.4GHz & 5Ghz
Selectable by software
Ceramic high grain antennas
Micro coaxial connector

What do you think of this new tech? Let us know!

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Great preview guys!

I liked your format for this episode, it really flowed nicely.

Hmm, High Grain Antennas? Do they go with the Carrot Quad?:p

How was the experience with the Rift compared to more typical FPV setups? I believe I saw that the Oculus Rift had like 110 degree FOV compared to 30 or so on most FPV goggles?

SynergyHub

Mischief Elf
Did they happen to have any anticipated price estimates at this time? Might be a bit soon.. but some budgets need planning :)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Based on the upgrades, and Parrots inflated apparent self-worth, I think a reasonable guess is going to be north of $600 or $700 for this one...
Might be lower if they go a la carte...

Flying Cirkus

Personally, i felt it was like Josh were reading a script, too fast. Half way through all i heard was blabla bla.. then had to refocus to actually hear what he was saying.. But im old, i like slow tv! :eek:
Great preview guys!

I liked your format for this episode, it really flowed nicely.

Hmm, High Grain Antennas? Do they go with the Carrot Quad?:p

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I seriously doubt it will be that low, or that the controls won't be extra. I still think it will be more than $500 unless they go separate on everything like camera and such...
I wouldn't be surprised to see just the airframe for $300, but not the whole package.