AR400/TG9e vs 3S LiPo

krakatou

So I'm a complete RC newbie. I'm a software geek - not hardware. I may have jumped the gun and need some advice.

I have a Spektrum DX6i, AR400, 3S nanotech 460mAh, 2x TG9e servos, Turnigy Plush 18A, and a NTM2826A motor.

I connected the 3S to the AR400 and bound the DX6i to the AR400 and the LED stop flashing indicating the bind was successful. I connected the servos and one went a bit loopy so I pulled the battery out.

I plugged the servos and battery back in and the LED in the receiver flashes/flickers. I have no servo control. Have I just blown up my brand new receiver and servos? I haven't yet connected the ESC or motor as I am waiting for some bullet connectors to arrive. That feels like a good thing, because I could well have broken everything?!

Please Help,
Dan

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Receivers and servo's have to have the voltage supplied from the ESC (or another source at approx. 5 to 6V). Your battery is 2X too much voltage in this case so yes you may have fried your new stuff.

Thurmond

krakatou

Yep. I'm definitely at the bottom of the learning curve. I'm used to electronics and RF at work, but this is nothing like I've dealt with before. I stupidly assumed that most RC parts were compatible with all the various LiPo cell counts and that I could connect direct to the receiver.

I have now worked out I have burnt out one of the control surface channels on the receiver and the servo that was plugged into it. The second servo works fine on another control surface channel. New parts ordered. I will get this netball off the ground! :eek:|

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Another thing - a 460 mAh seems a little tiny for a 18A controller and a 2826 motor? Just curious - what kind of connector did you find to connect the battery to the rx? I am using 2 cell lipo to my rx but only if there is no ESC to feed the rx (glow Engines and gliders).

Tritium

The 460mAh probably has a female JST plug on it. Just perfect to fry a receiver channel and yea I agree with pgerts 460mAh is WAY small for an 18A ESC. The discharge rating to supply the ESC with a battery of that size would be about 45C and it would not last but a few moments of full power.

Thurmond

Last edited:

krakatou

The 3S has a mini red JST connector opposed to the more common XT-60. The electrics is for a FT Nutball. Do you think I've chosen bad parts?

Tritium

This nanotech 3S has a 25-40C discharge rating. What size battery should I get? I thought I had made about the right choice http://flitetest.com/articles/swappable-fuselage-speed-build-kit

Your good with that battery after looking at the motor in the kit. The 18A speed controller is much larger than needed but that is no issue and might be a good thing if you want more power later. Looks like the motor is about 7 to 8A max so you are fine.

Thurmond

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin